BCD436HP/BCD536HP: 436HP Lost in Fog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
All right, here goes nothing. My mind is completely number from attempting to get this radio working. I have read a helpful list of instructions for new Uniden 436HP owners by Upman; however, when I go to the search function, nothing is coming up when I put in my radio number. No links are coming back.

I know others have experienced this problem for new users of this radio. Here goes.

When I first put in the zip code, and fired it up, it started scanning everything in the immediate area. Sounded great. Next step. I went to install the latest firmware & update the National DB. But, when I activated the scanner after removing from the USB, now it is barely picking up VHF. No trunking is activated. What did I do wrong? Did I corrupt the SD card?

Last edited:

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Every time I update the database, I lose everthing and have to go back and input my zip code, range and other settings I have changed. The new firmware seemed to lessend what you originally received. Since you updated it, treat it like you just got it and do the same steps again.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Still Lost

Every time I update the database, I lose everthing and have to go back and input my zip code, range and other settings I have changed. The new firmware seemed to lessend what you originally received. Since you updated it, treat it like you just got it and do the same steps again.

Well, I've entered the zip code twice without success. It still is not receiving any of the trunked systems. I have put in the service types, no luck. What else are you setting?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Write to Scanner

Hopefully, you are using Sentinel, right? Here is what worked for me. I hooked the radio back to the computer via USB. After it finished its digital dancing and loaded things, I wrote the whole Sentinel back to the radio. Now, it is scanning.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
I am old school and prefer doing everything through the keypad. Sounds like you got it working again. One area to check is to insure the main database is selected to scan. I don't use favorites as the range selection narrows down what to scan along with service type. Mine is set at 4 miles.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
436HP Learning Curve

I am old school and prefer doing everything through the keypad. Sounds like you got it working again. One area to check is to insure the main database is selected to scan. I don't use favorites as the range selection narrows down what to scan along with service type. Mine is set at 4 miles.

Yes, I woke up and decided to chance backing up the SD card on another folder. I did not know how extremely small the file was in this radio. Of course, I don't have any recordings yet; however, I backed up the SD on a DVD-USB disc. Since it so small, I will likely go in & backup the SD on a computer folder. But, if my computer crashes, I won't lose the data. I then transferred the data to a 16GB SD card. I am thinking this is an extremely large storage capacity for this radio.

I am old school as well. My first scanner and best scanner for audio output was the great, but limited Bearcat IV back in 1976.

But, I was able to learn how to operate the more complicated radio, the PSR 500. I lost hair off the top of my head fretting over that little beast. The main reason I bought this radio was because there was no restriction to 32 sites like the GRE. I no longer have to total CCs & ACs in order to program things, particularly for those large statewide systems.

I found it very difficult to program large statewide EDACS systems such as RACOM in Iowa. This is also true for the EDACS system in Mobile, Alabama.

Now, I am gradually learning the features of this radio. At present, I think I'm operating off of my zip code. So, I don't know if this is what your talking about, setting the main DB to scan. I am wanting to hear this working before I adulterate it with my "all-thumbs" approach. So using favorites limits the range?

Yes, the scanner crash was the culmination of a bad day. In fact, I was headed to the saddle shop to have a custom-made leather case with clear PVC. It is not going to be cheap, but I am very impatient when it comes to getting important things like a protective case. I've heard horror stories about this model getting dust beneath the display window. I don't want an open front, I prefer the clear PVC barrier. It has surely saved my PSR500. I have dropped that poor radio over 200 times, it seems. I've owned it since 2009.

This radio doesn't sound as natural as my PSR 500. It sounds a bit more processed and/or compressed than the other one. But, this is no big deal. It is still clear. I believe this is something that Uniden can refine and deliver in Firmware updates.

Well, I'm a bit wordy today, but I am very excited about getting this radio up and running. I will be buying a GPS next.

Cheers.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
In the same menu as zip code, there is a range (its set at 20 miles by default) you can change to less miles. If you go say 5 miles, the scanner should scan only the frequencies/control channels in the range you select. But you may pick up further if the control channel is interlinked to a local station. I see your in Waco. I was stationed at ft hood for 10 years (82-92). Know the area. Don't miss the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.