436HP - Not Connecting to Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Should add it was saying "Can't find Com Port" and then locking up for about a minute before saying "I/O Error" although I have no idea what that means. Anyway working fine now its reinstalled the drivers.

bdp278

Feed Provider
Saw in a previous post that the user thought there may be some conflict going on between the serial & USB drivers. Will know more tomorrow when I attempt to connect to 3 different pc's at work to see what each pc does or doesn't do when the USB cable is connected.

aw in a

gchapel

I have tried 3 different computers. One with XP and two with windows 7. all of them act the same. Plug in the USB cable, set BCD536HP to "Mass Storage" mode, USB connects. Windows responds with "Drive not recognized, need to format drive. If I try to read from the scanner it will corrupt the MicroSD card because windows hangs on to the remote dive and won't unmount properly.

I had the same exact problem with a BCD436HP which I sent back. I have a Home Patrol-1 that works fine. I tried using that USB cable, didn't help, same problem.

I can read my MicroSD card with an SDCard reader. I format it with SDformatter 4 as per the manual. Now I can use Sentinel with the SDCard reader but if I try to connect the scanner directly it will repeat the scenario described above.

I finally gave up and decided to not use the scanner with sentinel directly. Instead I have to just remove the MicroSD card from the scanner and use it with an SDcard reader. Sentinel will work fine with the card reader so I guess it doesn't matter. But there is definitely a problem with Uniden's drivers or the scanner "Mass Storage " mode. I doubt that I just happened to get a bad BCD436HP and a bad BCD536HP at the same time.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
Hey Brenda,

Does calling me an idiot assuage your inability to explain non-existent or inconsistent Uniden quality control on a $600.00 item?

If so, riddle me this Brenda.....

Who's the idiot, the person with $500.00 large in his pocket or the folks dropping 5 or 6 hundred dollars
to be beta testers for Uniden?

Also, I find it odd that anyone with comments negative to Uniden are addressed by administrators, yet calling someone an IDIOT, something SURELY prohibited in the forum rules is allowed to stand.

Where are the suspensions for that type of behavior?

bama9999

Hey Brenda,

Does calling me an idiot assuage your inability to explain non-existent or inconsistent Uniden quality control on a $600.00 item?

Who's the idiot, the person with $500.00 large in his pocket or the folks dropping 5 or 6 hundred dollars

Also, I find it odd that anyone with comments negative to Uniden are addressed by administrators, yet calling someone an IDIOT, something SURELY prohibited in the forum rules is allowed to stand.

Kind of the pot calling the kettle black, isn't it? You get offended about her saying that to you, then go right on yourself to call everyone that bought these radios idiots. Just a bit hypocritical don't you think?

I can assure you that I'm not an idiot. I bought one of these radios AND I still have 500 large in my pocket. ;)

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
Hey Bama...

Nice try. I never called any one member or group of members idiots.

Simply left it up to Brenda and others to decide.

Much different than :

"He's an idiot who thinks he's being funny."

Sugar coat name calling by another member all you like as long as it fits your agenda, but it is against the rules, rude, and you know it.

bama9999

I didn't sugarcoat anything, or condone anything that someone else said, and yes you did call a group of members idiots, regardless of your silly semantics of trying to claim otherwise.

So, someone points out where you basically do the same thing that you're complaining about someone else doing, and they have a so-called agenda? Wow...paranoid much?

kd7eir

My therory is this issue has more to do more with windows, than the 436. The only thing that changed on my laptop from 3 weeks ago to now is a windows update, which occurs automatically about once a month.

I agree completely with this line of thought. The vast majority of people (including me) have had zero problems connecting their scanner to their computer - if the scanner were the likely culprit the issue would be far more prevalent. The issue with the 536 and headphones is a classic example - it affected virtually EVERY 536, so it was obviously related to the scanner rather than the headphones that were being used.

The 436 is the common factor here, and Windows is the wildcard, as virtually every installation is different due to update levels, specific hardware, installed software, etc.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Hey Brenda,

I don't know, dude. I own both radios. Yeah, I had my issues with the microSD card. And I got through it. Bottom line here...you don't like the radio, don't buy it. Pretty simple. Why comment on something you don't own?

bdp278

Feed Provider
I brought my 436 into work, connected to 2 different pc's here both running windows XP, and got the exact same error: USB cannot regonize device. Went to a 3rd older pc, and after connecting the usb cable, the pc loaded the driver, then came up wth the same error, so it must be something in the 436 has gone bad, whereas 4 different pc's detect the device being connected, but the pc doesn't know what to do with it, so next step will be to remove the SD card to see if it opens up with my pc using an adapter, if so, then a complete reformat & rewrite from the sentenial program to the SD card.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I had hoped it was something else. I don't know. After I posted last night both Von's programs stopped working entirely. The SS program had always worked before but even uninstalling and re-installing older versions didn't help.

The thing is the scanner, mass storage, serial, cable, usb and power to scanner all work fine still. Just the programs stopped working with it.

Those scanner related things have always worked fine as KD7 said.

Don't know what to make of it now.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
Bama,

So, based on your responses, It is OK for a member to break the rules and call me a degrading name directly and publicly, but when I respond with a hypothetical "semantic" for her to consider, you accuse me of calling everyone in the forums the same name?

So, if we assume you are correct, based on what you claim I did, you than agree with my premise and as such make my point? And as a result, you also agree with me that folks plunking down all that dough to be Beta Testers for Uniden are Idiots?

N2MWE....

"Why comment on something you don't own?"

Since when does one have to own a particular item in order to comment on these boards?

What does owning a scanner have to do with being called a degrading name directly by another member, and having that infraction completely ignored by the moderators?

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
What does owning a scanner have to do with being called a degrading name directly by another member, and having that infraction completely ignored by the moderators?

Did you report the post?

bama9999

Bama,

So, based on your responses, It is OK for a member to break the rules and call me a degrading name directly and publicly, but when I respond with a hypothetical "semantic" for her to consider, you accuse me of calling everyone in the forums the same name?

So, if we assume you are correct, based on what you claim I did, you than agree with my premise and as such make my point? And as a result, you also agree with me that folks plunking down all that dough to be Beta Testers for Uniden are Idiots?

N2MWE....

"Why comment on something you don't own?"

Since when does one have to own a particular item in order to comment on these boards?

Since everyone can see what I actually said, as opposed to what you claim I said, you're making yourself look more and more foolish with each post. Now with that, I'm through discussing it with you and derailing this thread. My apologies to the one who started this thread.

Last edited:

bama9999

I had hoped it was something else. I don't know. After I posted last night both Von's programs stopped working entirely. The SS program had always worked before but even uninstalling and re-installing older versions didn't help.

The thing is the scanner, mass storage, serial, cable, usb and power to scanner all work fine still. Just the programs stopped working with it.

Those scanner related things have always worked fine as KD7 said.

Don't know what to make of it now.

To get back on topic, Ghstwolf have you tried the ARC536 beta or demo? I had trouble with it disconnecting, using the other program to view the scanner info on the computer, but I've been using the virtual control in ARC536 continuously for the last 3 days with no problem with it switching to mass storage mode.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
KevinC,

Quite frankly, since becoming a member in 2004, I've never been called a name by another member in these forums, and many times I've taken the divergent viewpoint. Members and I always agreed to disagree in many cases, and engage in open debate, if not sometimes spirited.

So, I've never had to report anyone, and I do not know how to do so...

With all due respect, I assumed since moderators are obviously reading these posts, someone would take note of the infraction, as you've obviously taken note of my recent discourse on the matter, and take appropriate action.

I did not realize a formal reported complaint was required to curb public bashing and name calling.

As for Bama's attempt to make the victim guilty here, we'll just chalk that up to the Kool Aid...

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
KevinC,

Quite frankly, since becoming a member in 2004, I've never been called a name by another member in these forums, and many times I've taken the divergent viewpoint. Members and I always agreed to disagree in many cases, and engage in open debate, if not sometimes spirited.

So, I've never had to report anyone, and I do not know how to do so...

With all due respect, I assumed since moderators are obviously reading these posts, someone would take note of the infraction, as you've obviously taken note of my recent discourse on the matter, and take appropriate action.

I did not realize a formal reported complaint was required to curb public bashing and name calling.

As for Bama's attempt to make the victim guilty here, we'll just chalk that up to the Kool Aid...

Moderators don't read every post, almost all issues are brought to their attention via the reporting process.

Find the post with the suspected offense and click on the red triangle in the upper right hand corner and fill in the box.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
If one is going to quote me, please quote my entire post. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
To get back on topic, Ghstwolf have you tried the ARC536 beta or demo? I had trouble with it disconnecting, using the other program to view the scanner info on the computer, but I've been using the virtual control in ARC536 continuously for the last 3 days with no problem with it switching to mass storage mode.

No I haven't, maybe I should give that a try and see what happens. Like I said its really strange. Don't have the mass storage problem and scanner works fine. Sentinal does too but Von's stuff just stopped working suddenly.

Think I'll go give that program you're talking about a shot and see what happens. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.