436HP Profiles & Favorites, Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I understand how wonderful the 436 is regarding many features, but I cannot wrap my head around this software design on Sentinel.

Last night, I made an entirely new profile for someone. I was attempting to program their 436 for them, but ran into a difficult situation, understanding such.

This is my first profile in the radio. I made an entirely new one. When the profile came up, there were my favorites. I read where the favorites will always show the ones you've made. I also read that it is necessary to add favorites to the profile.

How? If you see all of the favorites below the DB for USA and Canada, and then go to look at the profile, the ones you've made for everything else appears. How do get rid of the unwanted ones within a profile? I don't want to have a long list of favorites I have to thumb through every time I want to hear something. That is insane.

So, I have hit a snag, just when I thought I knew how this little beast worked.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
How do get rid of the unwanted ones within a profile? I don't want to have a long list of favorites I have to thumb through every time I want to hear something. That is insane.

So, I have hit a snag, just when I thought I knew how this little beast worked.

The favorites lists are the same across all profiles. The only differences between profiles is what ever is selected for that particular profile on the profile editor screen in Sentinel...

including which favorites lists are sent to the scanner for each unique profile you are "writing" to the scanner.

Having different profiles can be quite useful on that point alone.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You have the ability to select which Favorites Lists are downloaded to your scanner (Download On or Download Off). Additionally you can set a Favorites List to be downloaded but not be monitored (Monitor On or Monitor Off). This is done via the Profile Editor's Scan Selection tab.

See the image below.

I've got some 18 Favorites Lists and have created three different profiles. Some of the Favorites Lists are downloaded and monitored on some profiles but not in other profiles.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Profile Editor Screen

The favorites lists are the same across all profiles. The only differences between profiles is what ever is selected for that particular profile on the profile editor screen in Sentinel...

including which favorites lists are sent to the scanner for each unique profile you are "writing" to the scanner.

Having different profiles can be quite useful on that point alone.

This is exactly the problem. How do you "select" favorites in the Profile Editor since all of them are showing up on that particular screen? Here is what I would guess. In each profile, although 50 favorites my be present, you can go through and turn them on or off to monitor? Is that what you mean by selecting favorites? I can also see how you might alter each one per range, service types, etc.

So, if the Favorites as the same for all profiles, the exact same listing of such shows on the page you mentioned with monitor on/off clicks, right?

If so, this makes better sense.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Three possible combinations of "Download" and "Monitor":

Download On and Monitor On: The Favorites Lists(s) are programmed/written to, your scanner and are turned ON. (Typical rules apply with respect to Quick Keys on/off, service types, location, avoids, etc.).

Download On and Monitor Off: The Favorites List(s) are programmed/written to, your scanner. They are turned OFF by default. (You can turn them on through the scanner keypad: Menu>Set Scan Selection>Select Lists to Monitor>(scroll to the FL)>press the silver knob to toggle between on/off). Again those typical rules mentioned above apply.

Download Off and Monitor Off: The Favorites List(s) are NOT programmed/written to, you scanner. Since the FL(s) are not in the scanner, Monitor is a moot point as you can't monitor what isn't there.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Light Turned On In Head

You have the ability to select which Favorites Lists are downloaded to your scanner (Download On or Download Off). Additionally you can set a Favorites List to be downloaded but not be monitored (Monitor On or Monitor Off). This is done via the Profile Editor's Scan Selection tab.

See the image below.

I've got some 18 Favorites Lists and have created three different profiles. Some of the Favorites Lists are downloaded and monitored on some profiles but not in other profiles.

Now, I understand. That makes great sense. I forgot all about the download capability. Thank you so much for clearing out the cobwebs & turning on the light, LOL.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Profile-Driven Scanning

If I'm understanding this correctly, the profile dictates the scanning parameters inclusive of the various favorites you want downloaded or monitored for each profile. When I loaded one where several favorites were showing up on the display screen. I reduced the favorites to have less information on the screen while driving on road, toggling.

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I have given this example before but I have different profiles for different trips...
My "Home" profile has the Favorites Lists for my home area in NC set to Download "ON" and the Favorites Lists for SC (where I visit family) set to Download "off". I can switch to my "SC" profile and my home area FLs are set to download "Off" and my SC related FLs are set to download "ON".
Hope this helps!
Marshall KE4ZNR

scma127

Premium Subscriber
436HP profile and favorites help

See the image below.

question how many favorites list can we create when I turn on my scanner boots up it show all four of my favorites list loading up is that normal and what do you mean by profiles.and systems key donot understand that

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
From the user's manual:

Profiles are “snapshots” of your scanner’s set up. A profile contains all your configuration settings as well as all of your Favorites Lists, Avoids, and System settings. Sentinel can save multiple profiles so you can also restore different profiles as you need them. For example, If you regularly visit a specific location, you can create a profile for that location. You can save it to Sentinel to use whenever you visit.

Systems are "containers" holding information needed to scan radio transmissions. This information may be frequencies, sites and talkgroup ID numbers and other relevant data depending upon the type of radio transmissions you wish to hear (trunked or conventional).

Favorites Lists are larger containers which hold one or more systems.

I don't know if there is a limit on the number of Favorites Lists you can program in your scanner. The "newer" scanner memory architecture is a whole new ball game.

The "new" way kind of goes like this. The memory for your scanner is the SD card and is the governing factor. The provided SD card is 4 GB, but you can use one that is 32 GB. The maximum allowable size of a Favorites List is 1 MB which is quite large. The largest Favorites List I have is 70 KB. (There are other things that go on the SD card beside Favorites Lists, such as the full database and any recordings, scanner firmware, the active profile and so other housekeeping items).

Having said that, there is a practical limit. To use Favorites Lists efficiently, Favorites List Quick Keys are needed. Only 100 FL quick keys can be assigned (0-99).

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Download Trip

I have given this example before but I have different profiles for different trips...
My "Home" profile has the Favorites Lists for my home area in NC set to Download "ON" and the Favorites Lists for SC (where I visit family) set to Download "off". I can switch to my "SC" profile and my home area FLs are set to download "Off" and my SC related FLs are set to download "ON".
Hope this helps!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Today, I left my house to find my usual work route Profile had not been loaded. I have the trip profile I'd just finished & forgot to load it. Lesson learned.

I'm also confused about something else in profiles.

Let's say you have various favorites for your home and a trip to Oklahoma. In profiles, could you
designate a list of start up configuration keys for each profile? If so, this would certainly help me out.

I am also attempting to see how to "sort" favorites and move them up or down depending on the situation. I think, although I don't know, this is done in "Edit Favorites."

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Something you might consider. Since SD cards are relatively inexpensive, you could pick up a few "extras". Then write each profile to its own SD card.

That also gives you some back-up just in case you have an SD card failure.

I've got three profiles: "House Scanner", "Car Local" and "Car Travel". The house one is on a 32 GB card, the car local is on a 16GB and the car travel is on a 4GB. The car SD cards are left in the glovebox and interchanged as needed.

To sort Favorites Lists, start Sentinel. Then go to the top row Edit>Sort Favorites List... A pop-up window opens for sorting Favorites Lists. The sorting of Favorites Lists is global - and not set to a specific profile.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Considering Butel

Although I gave my last Butel product to someone else, ARC500, I am willing to give them a go once again. Of course this is contingent upon how many other features are extra to Sentinel.

For instance, it is rather annoying to have to assign QKs to around 20 departments inside a favorite. There should be a method to sequence these by one or two clicks instead of 20. I don't know which Butel package to buy yet. I wonder if the Pro version is worth it or way over my pea-sized brain.

Oh well.

Onward through the fog.

trunker

Although I gave my last Butel product to someone else, ARC500, I am willing to give them a go once again. Of course this is contingent upon how many other features are extra to Sentinel.

For instance, it is rather annoying to have to assign QKs to around 20 departments inside a favorite. There should be a method to sequence these by one or two clicks instead of 20. I don't know which Butel package to buy yet. I wonder if the Pro version is worth it or way over my pea-sized brain.

Oh well.

Onward through the fog.

You don't have to assign a QK to anything unless you may want to turn it off.

Or, assign them all to the same QK. Or, put them in a separate system and assign a QK to the system.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Profile Parameters

You don't have to assign a QK to anything unless you may want to turn it off.

Or, assign them all to the same QK. Or, put them in a separate system and assign a QK to the system.

So, I'm still attempting to wrap my brain around this profile issue.

Are the configuration QKs profile-specific? In other words, if I designate a QK 1 for Texas DPS in one profile will the QK show up in another profile automatically? I might want to use QK 1 for Waco PD in a different profile.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
QK is an attribute of an FL or System, so it follows the FL (or system), not the profile. Profiles consist of the set of settings you select using the profile editor (pencil on paper icon).

Whether a QK is enabled/disabled is an attribute of a profile, however.

trunker

Are the configuration QKs profile-specific? In other words, if I designate a QK 1 for Texas DPS in one profile will the QK show up in another profile automatically?

Yes, with the same QK. All FL, systems, departments/sites keep their same QK numbers in all profiles. Profiles just hold the on/off status.

I might want to use QK 1 for Waco PD in a different profile.

Why not just use a different QK in the same profile?

There are (should be) plenty of QK's for all your FL's, systems, etc. The last thing you want to do is make a new profile because the scanner can only hold one at a time, which means you would have to upload profiles to change things. Profiles are mainly use for storing radio-wide settings like service types, band defaults, or something like a different state.

BTW, if you program locations for everything and use 'Location Control', it's easier/faster to change locations than it is to remember what to turn on or off (which you can still do).

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

I'm using both the Sentinel and ARC to program my 536 scanners. ARC is better at some things as compared to Sentinel. On other things, Sentinel is better than ARC.

ARC has an editor that will manage System and Department/Site quick keys a little easier than Sentinel. So what you want to do with quick keys would be easier with ARC.

The real tricky part about using two software packages is being sure to keep files in sync. So I'll write to the scanner with the one I've used, then open the other program and read the scanner. That's so any changes I make show up in both programs.

I got the ARC Pro for virtual control purposes.

On using different quick keys for certain things (such as Waco) in one profile, but a different profile/different quick key, I think it may be overwhelming - too much to remember.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
Sentinel: Monitor and Download Option

I started Sentinel ... Clicked on Edit>Sort Favorites List
The pop-up window opened and listed all my Favorites / Monitor / Download / Quick Key
Some are ON some are OFF ...
How do I toggle the options ON or OFF?
(Thought double click would work but it didn't)
Or am I on the wrong Window?

Suggestions
Thanks

To sort Favorites Lists, start Sentinel. Then go to the top row Edit>Sort Favorites List... A pop-up window opens for sorting Favorites Lists. The sorting of Favorites Lists is global - and not set to a specific profile.

W6KRU

Edit Profile and use the scan Selection tab. You select each FL and click Monitor On or Off and Download On or Off.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    90.2 KB · Views: 557
Status
Not open for further replies.