436HP - Two basic questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

macusrg4

Hi All,
Hopefully you can provide some advice. I have searched here and read through the manual and still have the following two questions/issues:

1) Trying to adjust the squelch, since most of what I am picking up is p25 digital, there seems to be no 'static' to use as an indicator, is there any way to determine the proper/best squelch setting?

2) I have set a few TGID's as priority, and even if i turn the scanner on priority it still says Priority no channel. Any suggestions? I must be missing something.

Thanks
Andrew

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

To adjust the squelch tap the FUNC key once then push down the volume knob once. On the bottom of the LCD screen squelch level should appear. Then turn the knob left or right to the level you want. 2 is usually a good level as it os the lowest squelch without constantly open squelch slowing down scanning.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I can help with the squelch. You do not get that scratchy noise with p25. I could be wrong, but the older analog system may do that.

When and if you program other channels, then they say open the squelch then turn back until it stops, then go 2 more. I only go one more, and if that does not work I will go back another notch.

I don't know if this is right, but if I get a lot of "noise" on a p25 system,...from a far away source, I will either lock them out or turn back the squelch. Locking them out is the best route for me, as I can keep the squelch where I had it. If a Channel is scratchy to start with, normally turning back the squelch doesn't help. When they get to be a real pain...lock out.

Greg

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

To adjust the squelch tap the FUNC key once then push down the volume knob once. On the bottom of the LCD screen squelch level should appear. Then turn the knob left or right to the level you want. 2 is usually a good level as it os the lowest squelch without constantly open squelch slowing down scanning.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
To hear the open squelch noise, you need to be on a conventional channel that is not programmed with a tone. Trunked systems and conventional channels w/tone control the squelch by additional means.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
2) I have set a few TGID's as priority, and even if i turn the scanner on priority it still says Priority no channel. Any suggestions? I must be missing something.

I went crazy until someone helped me out on this one. The priority setting is only for conventional channels. For trunked and P25 systems, you set the priority with the P-CH setting in sentinal and it just works, but there is no indicators on the front panel display. You can test this by entering a YES under P-ch for a busy talkgroup, and then hold the scanner on some other less used talk group, and you will see it will jump to the busy group instantly when they talk, then go back to your hold channel.

As for priority of multiple P-CH's, I believe it goes by lowest Quick Key to higher ones, or if they are all the same, the order in which they are entered in your favorites list.

macusrg4

I'll have to test that, Thank you!>>

<<I have tested tis and have set P-CH in sentinel and written to the scanner, but when holding on a quiet channel I don't see any jumping back to the primary talk groups.

Last edited:

smokkeyy

Priority scan of P25 systems - how to disable from keypad?

I went crazy until someone helped me out on this one. The priority setting is only for conventional channels. For trunked and P25 systems, you set the priority with the P-CH setting in sentinal and it just works, but there is no indicators on the front panel display. You can test this by entering a YES under P-ch for a busy talkgroup, and then hold the scanner on some other less used talk group, and you will see it will jump to the busy group instantly when they talk, then go back to your hold channel.

As for priority of multiple P-CH's, I believe it goes by lowest Quick Key to higher ones, or if they are all the same, the order in which they are entered in your favorites list.

I understand how to set priority channels in the P25 system and like this feature however, when I am in the field and lock on to a channel to monitor it will still jump to the other priority channels in that talkgroup. If I need to just focus on this channel at the spur of the moment and need to disable this priority scan in P25 how do I do this? There is no keypad quick key I can press to disable this type of scanning am I correct?

KB2RSK

Priority, scan delay

I know that a true dual band receiver has little or not noticeable indication of a lag time of a few words into the transmission of the priority channel vs the scanning channels. However with these newer designed Uniden scanners models ( 436 and 536 ) are any of you users finding any improvement on this concept ? Are you still getting any lag time of the transmissions between the priority channel vs another scanned channel ?

macusrg4

I understand how to set priority channels in the P25 system and like this feature however, when I am in the field and lock on to a channel to monitor it will still jump to the other priority channels in that talkgroup. If I need to just focus on this channel at the spur of the moment and need to disable this priority scan in P25 how do I do this? There is no keypad quick key I can press to disable this type of scanning am I correct?
How do you set the priority channels in the p25. Mine doesn't actually seem to jump back to them. Even if I'm holding on another freq.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
How do you set the priority channels in the p25. Mine doesn't actually seem to jump back to them. Even if I'm holding on another freq.

On the channel information line in Sentinal, change the P-CH setting to ON, and upload the favorite to the scanner. If you have multiple P-CH's on, it goes in order of the quick key assigned I believe.

macusrg4

On the channel information line in Sentinal, change the P-CH setting to ON, and upload the favorite to the scanner. If you have multiple P-CH's on, it goes in order of the quick key assigned I believe.

I'm pretty sure that this is what I did, but it doesn't jump back if i hold on a different frequency

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
One thing I have noticed, it will not jump back to a priority channel on a P25 system while the currently monitored channel is active, i.e. it doesnt "check" the priority channel(s) during a transmission, only duing the timed delay, and during no activity. So it doesnt behave at all like the old conventional priority.

Its also possible, that since there is no noise on a p25 system if the squelch is open, if you have your squelch set to low, it will hang on the currently monitored channel, and never check your priority channel(s) since it thinks the current channel is active. To test, set the squelch real high for a bit. Works on my unit with the squelch set at 2. YMMV.

smokkeyy

I'm surprised there is no function key to disable the priority with the P25 systems though...

Status
Not open for further replies.