436hp with bearcat 23a

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC2OY

will this speaker work with a 436 hp or is there a setting to enable the speaker? Im asking for a friend I've never owned a 436 i had a 536

freqseeker

That speaker will work just fine with the 436hp, no settings necessary. It is amplified so it will require a 12 volt power source. I have used this setup and it works well in a mobile environment.

DonnaMarieNJ

Thank you. I tried the speaker on both the 436 and 536 and it didn't work. I sent it back. Hoping I will get a good replacement.

freqseeker

Thank you. I tried the speaker on both the 436 and 536 and it didn't work. I sent it back. Hoping I will get a good replacement.

Did you give the speaker 12 volt external power? It will not work if it isn't given power. An amplified speaker boosts (amplifies) the power to the speaker so it will have more volume for loud environments. The 436 will work better with an amplified speaker, where the 536 will work fine with either type.
The 436 has a low power headphone source, and the 536 is an actual external speaker source (on the back of the radio) with more power to drive a speaker. The speaker mentioned will work with either radio but it must be powered up.
Hope that helps.

tvengr

Well Known Member
In addition to requiring 12vdc power, the BC23A has a power switch/volume control on the speaker. On the 436, I would set the volume at maximum on the speaker and set the volume where necessary on the scanner. You can lower the volume control on the speaker if you hear distortion. On the 536, you can set the volume of the speaker to give you a good range of the volume control on the scanner. If you hear distortion, lower the speaker volume control. You must have the volume turned up on both the scanner and speaker for it to work.

Last edited:

AC2OY

Ok when you guys say a 12 bolt power source Does this mean she needs a power supply like. You would use for a UHF/VHF radio or can you buy a wall wart that plugs into the wall

tvengr

Well Known Member
If used in a vehicle, the speaker is powered by the vehicle battery. If used in a building, you need a 120v AC to 12v DC power supply with at least a 1.5 amp output, preferably 2 amps. You would have to wire an adapter to use with a wall wart. Most wall warts don't supply enough current. The easiest thing to do is to get a power supply with screw terminals to connect to the speaker power cable. If the power supply has as high as a 13.8 volt output, that is OK. You will normally get about 13.8 volts across the battery in a vehicle when the battery is charging.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.