436HP Zip Code Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I am having a great deal of difficulty understanding something.

I would like to preface this question with some information. I went into the Sentinel software and did this:
1) checked USA beneath database;
2) clicked on edit profile;
3) checked monitor full database;
4) click on all wanted service types;
5) put in the zip code under locations setting (zip zode previously saved as not there when I opened box);
6) put AGC for search close call, digital and analog;
7) nothing except pager is checked under broadcast;
8) next area previously programmed & saved was WX (the S.A.M.E. codes were retained from earlier);
9) all 99 quick keys were checked;
10 display welcome screen, previously programmed was retained;
11) clicked on save profile (nothing showed that it was saved, no box)

1) I turn on the scanner, plug in USB, hit "E", USB mass storage shows,
2) write to scanner clicked;
3) box is checked "erase favorites list on scanner" (there are none);
4) press ok
5) loading bar works;
6) click ok
7) unplug scanner
8) now loading Texas & full DB.
9) go to scanner and edit services which go back to earlier setting;
10) reset light duration, key beep volume, etc.

Back out of menu. Then, Waco Public Safety returns to scanning. This time, I did not go to "save location to go to Waco, the location I set inside the radio. It is now scanning fine.

When I turn this radio off, I will have to repeat these things in order to hear my zip code scan. When Waco Public Safety is missing during scan, there are no avoids in the review. Woodway P25 Trunking is showing up, no Waco. Getting analogs too. Range is showing default of "O." I had it previously set to 20.

I thought this radio would retain what I'd already saved.

Help me please.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
When you turn off the scanner, the only things that would be cleared out are temporary avoids. Otherwise, it returns to the condition it was in when you turned it off (including the set location and range). So, either you're doing something else you aren't telling us, or I'm not understanding the "...I will have to repeat these things..." comment...all 21 steps?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Will Redo It Again

When you turn off the scanner, the only things that would be cleared out are temporary avoids. Otherwise, it returns to the condition it was in when you turned it off (including the set location and range). So, either you're doing something else you aren't telling us, or I'm not understanding the "...I will have to repeat these things..." comment...all 21 steps?

Ok, this time, I will return to the Sentinel software load. Then, I will reload it into the radio. I will report whether I hear Waco Public Safety. When I hear it, I will simply turn it off and turn it back on. This will eliminate the steps, plain and simple.

Hold. This time, I changed it. When I pressed write to scanner, I did not check either box, erase favorites (none there) or force full DB.

Now, will unplug radio.

Now, radio is picking up Waco Public Safety.

Next, I will turn off the radio let it it do its thing before turning it back on.

Says writing to SD card.

Loading Texas & full DB.

Ok, now it is working like you said.

So, when I set this up in Sentinel, I don't need to set the location inside the radio I guess. Leave those things alone?

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Amend Location, Still Not Holding Location

Previously, I thought I had this figured out. It is very simple. I turn the radio off listening to the zip code function. I turn it off, sometimes Waco Public Safety P25 is there for a few times, but when I change the batteries, it no longer works. Previously, I was not amending the zip/location. This time I did. I even saw the location highlighted in blue below. I loaded it back into the radio without checking, erase favorites or force DB.

It is now connected yet again. I will do this one more time and then I'm going to get really steamed.

What is going on with this?

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you change the zip code in the scanner, then connect the scanner to Sentinel, are you reading the scanner? When a "Read From Scanner" is done by Sentinel, you are importing those things you set in the scanner into Sentinel.

If you are not doing this and write to your scanner from Sentinel, Sentinel is overwriting the "stuff" you changed in the scanner with what is in Sentinel.

It sounds like this may be an issue of properly synchronizing the "stuff" in your scanner with the "stuff" in Sentinel.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Leaving Scanner Alone

If you change the zip code in the scanner, then connect the scanner to Sentinel, are you reading the scanner? When a "Read From Scanner" is done by Sentinel, you are importing those things you set in the scanner into Sentinel.

If you are not doing this and write to your scanner from Sentinel, Sentinel is overwriting the "stuff" you changed in the scanner with what is in Sentinel.

It sounds like this may be an issue of properly synchronizing the "stuff" in your scanner with the "stuff" in Sentinel.

I thought the platform of programming and all of the scanner settings were done in Sentinel. Hence, I am attempting to simplify this process in so I can better isolate the variables causing this problem.

So, what I am doing is programming the radio with the previous location set in the profiles for the DB and the profile for the Favorites list I created.

Then, I shoot this to the scanner without touching anything. Bam, it starts the start up keys and I'm hearing all I programmed into the radio.

Like the weird thing with turning off the scanner with the zip function I mentioned at the start of this thread, it does the exact same thing with Favorites. I just transferred the guts of this radio. Now, I am hearing what I programmed. But, if I turn this radio off, all I am getting is Woodway TSYS, the closest one.
Waco Public Safety P25 drops completely out. I am still hearing all conventional things I've programmed.

So, I don't think it is properly writing the transferred data to the SD card.

I've not figured out what "preset" means yet, but I'm not programming within this format.

Again, the bottom line is this. I shoot Sentinel to the radio, it works fine. All I do now with the radio is listen for a while and then turn it off. I'm no longer making radio adjustments. When it is turned back on, without any other monkey business, one of the TSYS is not there. I see it being scanned.

I have noticed a difference in the way the screen looks, unless I'm hallucinating now. When the radio is working fine, the display spaces between the system, department & channel are wider. When it does not work they are more close to each other.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I thought the platform of programming and all of the scanner settings were done in Sentinel. Hence, I am attempting to simplify this process in so I can better isolate the variables causing this problem.

You can program your scanner from both Sentinel and via the keypad on the scanner itself. Where issues can occur is if you make changes via keypad and do not cause such changes to be made in Sentinel.

For example, you can permanently avoid a given channel via the keypad. But if you don't also mark that channel as avoided in Sentinel, the next time you write to the scanner from Sentinel, that given channel will be back.

I'm a little confused on how you go about scanning. Are you scanning Favorites Lists and the Full Database (as refined/limited by zip code and range) or just one or the other?

Until you get a better handle on what is causing your issues, you may want to do just one or the other. Should be more helpful in trouble-shooting.

Should you go with just Favorites List scanning (database off), you may wish to set Location Control to Off for eash Favorites List.

Lastly, I noted that you have all 99 Favorites Lists Quick Keys on by default, which is something that is set in the Profile Editor.

There are also System Quick Keys, and Department/Site Quick Keys that can be on or off by default. The status of these quick keys are set by editing the applicable Favorites List. It's possible that some of these may be set to be off in Sentinel.

As frustrating as it may be, most likely there are one or two settings that are giving the problem. Unfortunately there are many things to check.

Still, I think it will get figured out.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
One Thing At Time

You can program your scanner from both Sentinel and via the keypad on the scanner itself. Where issues can occur is if you make changes via keypad and do not cause such changes to be made in Sentinel.

For example, you can permanently avoid a given channel via the keypad. But if you don't also mark that channel as avoided in Sentinel, the next time you write to the scanner from Sentinel, that given channel will be back.

I'm a little confused on how you go about scanning. Are you scanning Favorites Lists and the Full Database (as refined/limited by zip code and range) or just one or the other?

Until you get a better handle on what is causing your issues, you may want to do just one or the other. Should be more helpful in trouble-shooting.

Should you go with just Favorites List scanning (database off), you may wish to set Location Control to Off for eash Favorites List.

Lastly, I noted that you have all 99 Favorites Lists Quick Keys on by default, which is something that is set in the Profile Editor.

There are also System Quick Keys, and Department/Site Quick Keys that can be on or off by default. The status of these quick keys are set by editing the applicable Favorites List. It's possible that some of these may be set to be off in Sentinel.

As frustrating as it may be, most likely there are one or two settings that are giving the problem. Unfortunately there are many things to check.

Still, I think it will get figured out.

Yes, I have one favorites list and that is all. I don't think I'm scanning the full database. All I'm seeing is Waco Metro, my favorite. I will double check the QKs, but the last time I looked in QK status, all of them were checked.

I was reviewing to make sure I was turning it off correctly. I've been holding the power button until it turns off. The only thing I'm adjusting on the radio is the squelch and volume. I don't think these can be altered in the Sentinel, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Dumb Mistake Here

I have finally figured this out. I made sure that the location "was" enabled for the sites, departments, & favorite list. I unchecked the keys for the departments, default was @ 99, thought this was supposed to be it. Also activated the sites which (according to a suggestion) were in 71.

The big clue was my tendency to rotate my squelch on my PSR 500 clockwise. Even though I saw the squelch bar extending all the way to the right, or nearly there, I thought this was the most sensitive position. But, I was dead wrong. After I backed the squelch off, I heard things just fine. Man, that was exhausting.
I have successfully turned the scanner off and on several times without any problems.

Now, I can continue my programming.

Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.