4372.0 USB USN Operations / Hurricane Irene

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
(FACSFAC) Fleet Area Control and Surveillance Facility, Virginia Capes is very active this evening with comms regarding Hurricane Irene.

4372.0 KHz USB

30+ US Navy ships departed from Norfolk out to sea due to Hurricane Irene.

Comms are very active as of 1900z. Receiving S5+ into South Texas as off 1911z.

Token

4372 is very weak into my location in the Mojave Desert.

Yep, Navy ships will do better out at sea with room to move and just ride out the storm. Rode out a big Typhoon in 1979 north of the PI. On an FFG we blasted through a Typhoon in 1984 that split the superstructure from weather deck to weather deck, had water on the deck on the O-2 level interior spaces. 5 months in the yards after that one to repair the house from bimetallic strip to bimetallic strip.

T!

AA1LL

Heard some faint SSB activity on 4372, also 8967around 27 AUG 0210Z but local QRN was bad. Token deserves credit for being on that ship. Some of those Frigates were built in less than 6 months and played a major role in containing the Soviet sub-based ICBM threat. BRAVO ZULU OM!

73 DE AA1LL

SCPD

QRT
US Navy Net, Atlantic.
Echo Foxtrot calling up a roll call on 4372 USB. Call signs logged:

Qubec Echo Oscar
3 Alpha Uniform
9 Alpha Charlie
Foxtrot 3 India
1 November

Time 0235z

Last edited:

Fast1eddie

Very good, been sitting on freq for the last few days monitoring the traffic. Early Sunday morning several ops were playing games and firmly admonished by net control. Nice sounding babe. Excellent signal into Pittsburgh, S4-7 on my R71A. Good band conditions as of recent.

screenersam

I hate motrbro
I couldn't get ANYTHING on my Kaito sw. this week I bit the bullet and got a Grundig G3. will try out this weekend.
ps; I was on a FFG too. rough ride off Carolina

Fast1eddie

After hearing the same old traffic repeatedly, I moved on and have been monitoring fishermen (uncertain) operating between authorized maritime/aeronautical mobile frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.