44.58 MHz

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
I see this almost every day in the Skip forum:

44.58 CSQ BNSF Hy-Rail limits compliance system

What is it? Where does it operate from? I've never received it here so I'm at a loss.

Can anyone give a brief overview of what this is and how it works?

marvinsuggs

Premium Subscriber
I see this almost every day in the Skip forum:

What is it? Where does it operate from? I've never received it here so I'm at a loss.

Can anyone give a brief overview of what this is and how it works?
It's telemetry sent from Burlington Northen Santa Fe Hy-Rail vehicles (maintenance tracks that can ride the rails) to trains showing their speed, location and direction. To reduce the chance of trains colliding with these vehicles. I'm no expert so maybe someone else can chime in.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
its an authorized limits compliance/alerter system for hy-rail vehicles so if they go astray it doesn't go unaware. Being much smaller and greater mobility than trains its a layer of safety beyond verbal

Last edited:

nd5y

It's not just vehicles. They have 44.58 base stations all along the tracks. Here is one license near me.
Its easier to hear the extremely short data bursts if you set the receiver to AM and open the squelch.
If you don't have a good outdoor antenna that works on 44 MHz you probably won't be able to hear anything.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
yea they need those receiving stations so the data can go back to the dispatcher, it wouldn't be much of a safety system if only 1 side knew anything.

wv2vvl

BNSFRR m/s noise burst reception in suburban Philadelphia
==============================================
44.58 FM frequent noise bursts Diamond Superdiscone at 610' AMSL

Rx: ICOM R8600
0115 UTC

Not exactly skip but definite S9Q5 reception. Will look for app to decode these. GPS vehicle location data.

Jack
W2INF

wv2vvl

BNSFRR m/s noise burst reception in suburban Philadelphia
==============================================
44.58 FM frequent noise bursts Diamond Superdiscone at 610' AMSL

Rx: ICOM R8600
0115 UTC

Not exactly skip but definite S9Q5 reception. Will look for app to decode these. GPS vehicle location data.

Jack
W2INF
It seems that skip propagation is involved in my reception as there have been no bursts in the last 30-60 minutes.

Jack

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
Probably not too many BNSF HyRail crews each of the Mississippi.

I've been listening for weeks here in southeast Ohio and I've never heard anything.
I'm less than a mile from the local train route and the VHF railroad channels can be kind of busy.

wv2vvl

Hi there. I'm in suburban Phila & picked up frequent bursts earlier on 44.58 but nothing in the last 90 minutes. Reception depends on a lot of factors, like meteor activity. I'm using a Superdiscone & an ICOM R8600.

Jack
W2INF

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
We have a storm brewing and 44.58 lit up with data bursts. Not sure where they're coming from but I'm glad I finally got to hear this. How much power do these automated data radios run?

Reactions: 217

nd5y

How much power do these automated data radios run?
I looked up several in my area and the ERP on the licenses varied from 85 to 195 watts. Most were 100. They probably use 100 W radios. I know they have different types of base antennas.
I don't know what type of radio the trains use.

wv2vvl

We have a storm brewing and 44.58 lit up with data bursts. Not sure where they're coming from but I'm glad I finally got to hear this. How much power do these automated data radios run?
100W. For this kind of license info check the FCC General Menu for this freq in a state like CA where they operate.

Jack