4441 used in Yukon

Status
Not open for further replies.

bm_north60

Just wondering if anyone has logged any activity on 4441 khz. I have heard what seems to be a daily net from stations which appear to be in the Yukon. Looks like they are using numeric callsigns.
Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

bm_north60

I'm located in North Eastern British Columbia.
I've made many trips to Igloolik but never realized that the research station had HF facilities. Thanks for the info.

brandon

Database Admin
Hi bm_north60
What time of day is this heard? I would like to try and monitor it.

bm_north60

I usually hear activity on this frequency around mid afternoon, on the west coast. There is activity on here at present.

SCPD

QRT
is that 4441 khz on am not ssb or lsb or usb !! just 4441 am khz normal recive mode!!and on the east coast would the best time to pick up this freq is in the moring in the east right just wondering thanks !!i love to hear it !!

dwc

Database Admin
Just wondering if anyone has logged any activity on 4441 khz. I have heard what seems to be a daily net from stations which appear to be in the Yukon. Looks like they are using numeric callsigns.
Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Just stumbled on this old thread... What you are hearing are back country stations who are fur trappers, fishing camps, researchers, etc. This is the primary back country, wilderness frequency for the north. I believe some of the northern BC trappers check in at 0900 and 1900 daily on this freq.

If you do a TAFL search you will find licensees like the DFO, Parks Canada, BC Forest Service, commercial air charters to individuals. These licensees are located anywhere from BC to Quebec and north up to the pole.

Some reference to 4441, a sample transcript of the net and similar use frequencies here;

http://thehappytrappers.blogspot.com/2011/01/this-is-don-taylor-calling-winter-shed.html

SBX-11A Portable SSB Transceiver - Matthew Kendall

Here is a shot of the famous SBX-11A with 4441 on the label;

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-eHiFPQGnT-0/TZYCnqvzu5I/AAAAAAAACQc/yp9SzyerZyk/s1600/P4021624.JPG

Cheers,

dwC

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for the info DWC -- that's pretty cool stuff. That transceiver is quite impressive with only 25ma of Rx draw.

bm_north60

Thanks for the great information. I will definnently have to keep an ear on this frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.