450-470 frequency band antenna question

m21sniper

i have a uniden bc75xlt and the stock antenna is absolutly terrible its not always reliable in clarity and cuts words here and there. i use it for a raceiever for dirt racing and cant always hear the caller. i was looking to see if anyone had suggestions for a really good antenna using the BNC connector im no more than say 75 yards from the transmitter. i hear the stock antennas are useless so i hope for a good antenna tuned specifically to that 450-470 or 430-470 dont really matter cause i mainly use the 454 band.

wtp

you might have a bad connection in the radio or the center pin on the antenna.
if you are that close you might try taking the antenna off and see if reception improves !

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Stock antenna should work fine over 75 yards. I agree, I'd suspect something wrong with the radio, replacing the antenna may not help.
But, a band specific UHF antenna would be a good choice, once you know the radio is OK.

m21sniper

Stock antenna should work fine over 75 yards. I agree, I'd suspect something wrong with the radio, replacing the antenna may not help.
But, a band specific UHF antenna would be a good choice, once you know the radio is OK.
generally its clear it just may skip a word hear and there out of a sentence. and some have it happen to them as well. but 99% of people id say dont have that issue. and it does have 3 slices in the rubber from rubbin my tin panels on the car doubt that effects anything. but 20 dollars for that antenna vs 100 for a new racing specific reciever ill try that first see if it clears it up.

GROL

The stock antennas are definately not useless, especially at that distance. A 6.2 inch piece of wire inserted in the center pin of the BNC connector would be closely tuned for 454MHz. At that distance any short length of wire would work. You say words cut out, is the priority channel enabled which checks every 2 seconds. Is it set for weather alert or scanning with close call enabled.

m21sniper

The stock antennas are definately not useless, especially at that distance. A 6.2 inch piece of wire inserted in the center pin of the BNC connector would be closely tuned for 454MHz. At that distance any short length of wire would work. You say words cut out, is the priority channel enabled which checks every 2 seconds. Is it set for weather alert or scanning with close call enabled.
i manually set the 454 frequency and it stays on that. using the saved channels on the scanner. but it does say dly with the close call symbol.

Last edited:

FKimble

I'm partial to Smiley Antennas. They can adjust the center freq to your needs if their stock antennas don't match your needs. Last one I GOT WAS APPROX $25.00. We are talking handhelds ?

Frank

merlin

People always overlook that there are two sides to a com link.
Transmitter and receiver.
75 yards from a 1 watt transmitter, even a paper clip would give reliable reception.
Cut words here and there ? Adjust the squelch a notch or few into the muting without transmition.
Make sure the mic connections are solid at the transmitter. Perhaps check the transmitter with a different receiver.
Dirt racing mandates a shock mounted radio and solid antenna and connections itself.
Or a very rugged radio setup.
Cheers

m21sniper

I'm partial to Smiley Antennas. They can adjust the center freq to your needs if their stock antennas don't match your needs. Last one I GOT WAS APPROX $25.00. We are talking handhelds ?

Frank
uniden bc75xlt is a hand held yes. for go kart racing

Ubbe

At bigger events there's usually a lot of transmitters in the air that interfere with reception and could block the receiver. You could receive too much and need an antenna that receives less. Did you try with the attenuator enabled? If they transmit using 1Watt from 75 yards then you could almost receive that without any antenna.

The stock antenna are usually designed for 155MHz and 450MHz so should be good. have you tried to receive anything else in the 400MHz like HAM repeaters and analog business radio to see that the scanner actually works as it should? It should always be possible to receive NOAA transmitters in the 162MHz band. It's not the correct filter in use but would prove that the receiver are ok.

/Ubbe

GROL

i manually set the 454 frequency and it stays on that. using the saved channels on the scanner. but it does say dly with the close call symbol.
Even if it stays on 454 Mhz, if priority is enabled it will sample whatever priority channel is programmed every 2 seconds. Also if close call is enabled it will ocassionsly go to whatever frequency it is picking up with close call. Be sure to disable close call and priority. All of this is in the manual.