453.825 - 127.3 PL *Who is it?*

Status
Not open for further replies.

scankid2591

I just programmed this in as the Bay Area National Guard (from the Kelty reference), but I'm hearing no input from mobiles, and the dispatcher just said something about a train is stopped on the tracks. Anyone know who this is? It sure doesn't sound like military comms, but maybe it really is.

Thanks in advance.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
AFAIK, it's one of the State freqs that CHP rebroadcasts on, like the 460 stuff.

There are a number of them I hear the rebroadcasts on, never any special events or the like.

-Wayne

I think that's mobile computer 800mhz. They also use one for their scanners in some areas they also use other radios VHI-Hi and UHF to talk to the local law.

SAR2401 said:
You can also hear a considerable amount of CHP traffic on the old State Police frequency of 453.825. This sounds like a repeat of the 154.905 extender frequency but I can hear stations from all over the Bay Area on this frequency.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
scankid2591 said:

Lojack and low-band on the top, and the two on-glass antennas are for scanner or MDC and I believe vehicular repeater. Seems like they have less and less on their new cars.

CHP won't use those UHF channels by car. Only special departments will. I'm not sure why they rebroadcast. Maybe to show that they're being used.

-Wayne

kma371

QRT
Most likely what is happening is the dispatcher has two channels selected, a Dispatch channel and the UHF one because they are doing double duty. They have the UHF channel selected so they can hear if someone is calling them on it.

WHen you selected more than one channel on the console, you transmit on both unless you unselect one or the other.

I did this on our motorola consoles when I was dispatching sheriff units and animal control/public works at the same time when it was late at night

MCIAD

The Lo-Jack antennas are the 4 in a square pattern in the roof. There will either be a cellular style, low-band (42MHz) on the window, or the larger, CB looking, antenna attached to the side. There are also the Mobile Data Computer antenna node on the trunk or roof, and a scanner antenna. There will also be a VHF antenna somewhere, more than likely 1/4 wave, but I have seen 5/8 wave. This one is for the Moble Repeaters that CHP uses for the VHF-Low moble radio/VHF-High portable radio combonation they have.

All in all - they can have alot of antennas on there cars, up to 6 or 7 all told, of all sizes.

kma371

QRT
scankid2591 said:
But who's gonna be listening to UHF?

Makes no sense to me.

There are many state agencies that use CHP's UHF dispatch. Here are a few.

Lottery Commission, DOJ, OES, Alcohol & Beverage Control, DMV Investigators, State Fire Marshals, CYA, State Parole etc.

wolter

scankid2591 said:
Hmm... Kinda pointless... :roll:
To most people, yes. But it makes sense in the government realm. (If you can really call it 'sense.')

It's kind of like a game. Assets (expenses) will be taken away if they are not used, so something may be needlessly used to fake a "need." My old supervisors did it all the time. We had vehicles that we didn't use regularly, so they had us drive them around the neighborhood a few times to put mileage on them. They could log the mileage in the daily record, demonstrating use, so they would not be taken away.

It's a waste and though I can't say this is what CHP is doing, it's how many government agencies play.

Last edited:

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
ScannerDude I think you got the wrong thread?

KMA371 - I think you're correct. All the different CHP dispatchers seem to be repeated on this freq from their various transmitter locations (or in the same general area anyway). When two or more dispatchers are talking at the same time and within audible range of you, you get a kind of "wwwrrraaaaaawwwrrrrr" noise of one stepping on the other, often with the closer/stronger transmission bleeding through a little bit.

For instance, I can hear several dispatchers from here in Marin County, but the closest transmitter site to me for 453.825 Mhz is on Mt Tamalpias, and it simulcasts the dispatch side of the CHP "Violet" channel - 42.16 Mhz. When another dispatcher is talking, like on the Pink or the Bronze, and the dispatcher on the violet keys up, the others get covered by the Violet's traffic.

-Inigo

WD8CZP

Premium Subscriber
Just to fill in the gaps on this thread. CHP 'inherited' the UHF with the 'merger' of the California State Police. 460.375 is Sacramento & LA, SoCal; 460.450 is Sacramento, Fresno & Norcal; 453.825 is unique to San Francisco. All cover State building security & the like. The .375 here in Sacramento is also the Capital security detail.....very busy some days.

Radio_Lady

scankid2591 said:
Interesting... I wonder where the repeater is around here.
The State is licensed for mobile relays on 453.825 at (actually near) Los Gatos, San Jose, San Francisco, Mill Valley, Petaluma, Oakland, Walnut Creek, Kettleman City, Santa Rosa and Willits. And mobiles, bases and temporary transmitters elsewhere.

I won't presume to declare their use of the frequency as "senseless," "pointless," or a "waste" or a "game" merely because they haven't clued me into all the details. It could have any of a number of uses (or potential uses) other than what's heard there from day to day. Could have a back-up or disaster role, or something being phased in or out, lots of possibilities.

Last edited:

kma371

QRT
scankid2591 said:
I'm just wondering why it's listed as "Bay Area National Guard" in the Kelty Reference.

Well, my guess would be, after 9/11 when the Army NG was patrolling the bridges etc, somebody gave these guys UHF radios with CHP freqs in them so they could have some communication with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.