Tecsun 455 kHz AM IF outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

valdyjr

Hello. Does this TECSUN S2000 output accept a DSP filter? (see figure)

Attachments

• 455kHZ AM IF OUTLET.png
    455kHZ AM IF OUTLET.png
    294.5 KB · Views: 30

Token

They are just calling any kind of external digital processing a DSP. In the example you point out they say "Software Radio (DSP) demodulator".

You could take the 455 kHz output, run it into an SDR, and have a panadapter. You could also demodulate the audio on that SDR and ship that audio to the Lin In. You have just turned the SDR into a DSP for the S2000.

So sure, you can say the S2000 accepts a DSP, and so does anything else with an IF out.

T!

valdyjr

They are just calling any kind of external digital processing a DSP. In the example you point out they say "Software Radio (DSP) demodulator".

You could take the 455 kHz output, run it into an SDR, and have a panadapter. You could also demodulate the audio on that SDR and ship that audio to the Lin In. You have just turned the SDR into a DSP for the S2000.

So sure, you can say the S2000 accepts a DSP, and so does anything else with an IF out.

T!

Thanks. I would like to filter out some noise in AM (SW and MW). What do you think?

Token

A low cost SDR capable of receiving 455 kHz could possibly do what you ask. SDRs allow you a lot of flexibility in processing, almost infinitely variable filter widths, different types of sound processing, etc. Of course, will it do it good enough for what you want? No way to know until you try it.

I do not recommend low cost RTL SDR DVB-T dongles for this application, even in direct sample mode. The low resolution digitizer results in poor dynamic range.

T!

valdyjr

A low cost SDR capable of receiving 455 kHz could possibly do what you ask. SDRs allow you a lot of flexibility in processing, almost infinitely variable filter widths, different types of sound processing, etc. Of course, will it do it good enough for what you want? No way to know until you try it.

I do not recommend low cost RTL SDR DVB-T dongles for this application, even in direct sample mode. The low resolution digitizer results in poor dynamic range.

T!

Thanks. I also did not understand the connection (as shown). A cable leaves the output "455 kHz AM IF", goes through a DSP filter and returns to the radio via "line in" ???

Token

Thanks. I also did not understand the connection (as shown). A cable leaves the output "455 kHz AM IF", goes through a DSP filter and returns to the radio via "line in" ???

Not quite sure what you mean by "through a DSP filter", what I described was the 455 kHz signal going to an SDR, the SDR being used as a panadapter, or yes as a DSP if you want. The detected audio from the SDR could go back into the S2000 Line In if you wanted it to, or it could just be used to drive any other audio amplifier / speakers.

There is (as far as I know) no turn key, stand alone, DSP designed to plug into the S2000 in this configuration. But you could use an SDR as the final IF / detector / filter / panadapter for the S2000 if you really wanted to.

T!

valdyjr

Not quite sure what you mean by "through a DSP filter", what I described was the 455 kHz signal going to an SDR, the SDR being used as a panadapter, or yes as a DSP if you want. The detected audio from the SDR could go back into the S2000 Line In if you wanted it to, or it could just be used to drive any other audio amplifier / speakers.

There is (as far as I know) no turn key, stand alone, DSP designed to plug into the S2000 in this configuration. But you could use an SDR as the final IF / detector / filter / panadapter for the S2000 if you really wanted to.

T!

Thanks.
Could you send me a link to something I could adapt for that use? (It's a little difficult for me). For example: can this be it? 1) SAVE 35% NEW ORIGINAL BOX MFJ MODEL MFJ-784B TUNABLE NOISE REDUCTION DSP FILTER | eBay or... 2) Audio DSP Digital Filter SSB CW Ham Radio YAESU ICOM FT-817 857 897 KX3 FT- Z6F8 | eBay or... 3) Audio DSP Digital Filter SSB CW Ham Radio ADSP Filter Noise Reducer YAESU ICOM | eBay or... 4) JPS Communications NIR-10 DSP Filter | eBay

Token

None of those items you listed would work, they all operate at the audio level, not at the IF level. You need something that could receive the 455 kHz IF and then convert/demodulate it to audio.

As I said, I know of no stand alone, turn key, solution for this. Tecsun has provided a path forward for which there is no off-the-shelf, turn key, answer. I am not aware of any external DSPs on the market that can take 455 kHz in and deliver demodulated audio out. This would be, in effect, a separate receiver that tunes only 455 kHz.

And so you could use an SDR (Software Defined Radio) to do this. S2000 455 kHz IF out > SDR antenna in.

The problem is, pretty much every SDR I can think of to suggest would do everything (on HF) that the S2000 receiver does, and often better. Things like the AirSPy HF+, Elad FDM S1 or S2, FUNcube Dongle Pro+, SDRPlay products, Soft66 variants, SoftRock RX Ensemble II LF (probably the lowest cost, most specifically focused, option), or WinRadio G3X products. You can search any of these names to find links. However, the costs of these cover a wide range, from under $70 to over $5000 (USD).

The lowest cost option I can think of that would do this is SoftRock RX Ensemble II LF, here SoftRock RX Ensemble II LF Receiver Kit - $66.00 : Five Dash Inc. Your Source for SoftRock Radio Kits This is not a turn key solution and would require a computer with an appropriate sound card. It is a kit, however typically you can purchase them assembled also.

T!

valdyjr

None of those items you listed would work, they all operate at the audio level, not at the IF level. You need something that could receive the 455 kHz IF and then convert/demodulate it to audio.

As I said, I know of no stand alone, turn key, solution for this. Tecsun has provided a path forward for which there is no off-the-shelf, turn key, answer. I am not aware of any external DSPs on the market that can take 455 kHz in and deliver demodulated audio out. This would be, in effect, a separate receiver that tunes only 455 kHz.

And so you could use an SDR (Software Defined Radio) to do this. S2000 455 kHz IF out > SDR antenna in.

The problem is, pretty much every SDR I can think of to suggest would do everything (on HF) that the S2000 receiver does, and often better. Things like the AirSPy HF+, Elad FDM S1 or S2, FUNcube Dongle Pro+, SDRPlay products, Soft66 variants, SoftRock RX Ensemble II LF (probably the lowest cost, most specifically focused, option), or WinRadio G3X products. You can search any of these names to find links. However, the costs of these cover a wide range, from under $70 to over $5000 (USD).

The lowest cost option I can think of that would do this is SoftRock RX Ensemble II LF, here SoftRock RX Ensemble II LF Receiver Kit - $66.00 : Five Dash Inc. Your Source for SoftRock Radio Kits This is not a turn key solution and would require a computer with an appropriate sound card. It is a kit, however typically you can purchase them assembled also.

T!

Dear Token
For some reason, I did not receive an email notification of the arrival of your reply. I apologize for that. Now everything has been clarified for me. Thank you! I will give up the 455 kHz IF output, and put the filter in the TECSUN headphone output. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.