46.48 From Far Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Septa3371CSX1

This morning my Pro 97 is picking up distant transmissions on 46.48. 46.48 is the priority channel in my scanner for Delaware County, PA fire and EMS dispatch. Well, a few minutes ago I picked something up that was NOT Delco, and not anywhere near here. First I thought maybe Schukyull County, PA but then I hear Central time mentioned (hour behind me). Just now I heard a fire dispatch go out for a fire alarm at 6292 Chasewood Drive for a general activation. This user, like Delco, is CSQ. The voice is a female and it sounds like it is somewhere in the Midwest. Also worth mentioning is that I'm picking this up INSIDE my house with the Radio Shack telescoping antenna not even fully extended. Any idea who this is? There must be a pretty good band opening going on right now.

Septa3371CSX1

Definately a Band Opening

Decided to do a search on low band (28-50). Picked up something on 35.06 with a 97.4 PL. Picking up a taxi service on 35.18 with a 186.2 PL. Just picked up a highway patrol (MO?) on 42.40 173.8 PL. Once again, this is all from inside my house.

KC0QNB

The key to ID ing skip is simply to pay attention, a street address by itself is no good, listen for callsigns, granted not all stations used as the are supposed to, a name of a town, county and state.
Even if you only get a partial name even just a letter, that with the frequency can get you at least a few results on the FCC license search, then make not of the times and see if they are in your time zone or not, as you did already, then start digging and see if you can do a positive ID, it will take some work. Also if you can, do a digital audio recording and save it for future reference, then you can replay it as many times as you want, like those times you are bored and the bands aren't open.

KC0QNB

Never thought of that, just like me to over complicate things. Of course if the address was 516 Elm street things might get a bit more complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.