460.2375 Rikers

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
I put in 460.2375 to wait and see if my local new Ct. State Tech School repeater has become active and instead I am receiving what I found to be Rikers Island's George Motchan Detention Center on that freq. using DPL 072. I cannot find it listed in the FCC database. All they show is NYPD Tac freq. listings. Boy is this user active. Just wondering how many watts they put out.
Bob

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
460.2375 is licensed at Riker's under WPKY646

Ahh there it is, thank you GTR. I saw "City of New York" in the search and assumed it was just another listing for the NYPD Tac channel also licensed on that freq.
Very surprised to see that the transmit power is only 2 watts
ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WPKY646 - CITY OF NEW YORK - Frequencies Summary
Also, the station class is listed as MO which of course is mobile. Well, I am hearing a repeater. And I am 60 miles away. 2 watts may be a little bit of a stretch. But non stop action for sure.
A little info on the facility:

The New York City Department of Correction (DOC) provides for the care, custody, and control of persons accused of crimes or convicted and sentenced to one year or less of jail time.
The Department manages 12 inmate facilities, 9 of which are located on Rikers Island. In addition, the Department operates two hospital Prison Wards (Bellevue and Elmhurst hospitals) and court holding facilities in each borough.

ecps92

Looking over that license, I would assume that each is a repeater (Low Power) as there is only ONE user for the Output frequency.
Ahh there it is, thank you GTR. I saw "City of New York" in the search and assumed it was just another listing for the NYPD Tac channel also licensed on that freq.
Very surprised to see that the transmit power is only 2 watts
ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WPKY646 - CITY OF NEW YORK - Frequencies Summary
Also, the station class is listed as MO which of course is mobile. Well, I am hearing a repeater. And I am 60 miles away. 2 watts may be a little bit of a stretch. But non stop action for sure.
A little info on the facility:

The New York City Department of Correction (DOC) provides for the care, custody, and control of persons accused of crimes or convicted and sentenced to one year or less of jail time.
The Department manages 12 inmate facilities, 9 of which are located on Rikers Island. In addition, the Department operates two hospital Prison Wards (Bellevue and Elmhurst hospitals) and court holding facilities in each borough.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Yes good observation Bill- 1 unit for output frequency and 150 units for input. So either they are using repeaters cranked down to 2 watts or it is a mistake on the license. There is no antenna height listed for any stationary antennas. I don't believe I am hearing a 2 watt repeater 60 miles away with normal band conditions today (everything else is coming in without band opening characteristics). Also, if you look about halfway down on the Main tab, it says"
Ownership and Qualifications
Radio Service Type - Mobile

Attachments

• 5889e8d7.jpg
    5889e8d7.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 369

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
That "Radio Service Type - Mobile" doesn't mean what you think it means. Take a look at any Part 90 license and it says the same thing, including licenses that only have base stations licensed.

I'm sure that you are hearing a 50+ watt repeater on that frequency. There's hardly anything unique about them disregarding what they're actually licensed for, and doing whatever they feel like with the frequencies.

ecps92

Was common (years ago) to use MO pairs for a Low-Power Repeater, but as others say...also it has been seen/found that folks do use more power than licensed.
Yes good observation Bill- 1 unit for output frequency and 150 units for input. So either they are using repeaters cranked down to 2 watts or it is a mistake on the license. There is no antenna height listed for any stationary antennas. I don't believe I am hearing a 2 watt repeater 60 miles away with normal band conditions today (everything else is coming in without band opening characteristics). Also, if you look about halfway down on the Main tab, it says"
Ownership and Qualifications
Radio Service Type - Mobile

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
PS - I see that Charlie linked to his site, however it's worth noting that these are already in the RRDB under Corrections.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It has, but it's also updated less often than the RRDB, and not everything he has is accurate. He still refers to the FDNY UHF frequencies as "Future", when in fact they've been in use for a number of years at this point. ;)

n2nov

The Rikers info came from the radio tech that worked there at the time. Info on any of my pages is accurate as of the date at the bottom of the page. When the FDNY VHF is shut off, then the UHF will be considered the "current" and not future freqs. Any updates are welcome, but there are more complainers than participants. Many of the RRDB entries were either put there by me when it was originally set up or updated based on info from others here or from my personal contacts.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
The Rikers info came from the radio tech that worked there at the time. Info on any of my pages is accurate as of the date at the bottom of the page. When the FDNY VHF is shut off, then the UHF will be considered the "current" and not future freqs. Any updates are welcome, but there are more complainers than participants. Many of the RRDB entries were either put there by me when it was originally set up or updated based on info from others here or from my personal contacts.

+1
No thumbs up on this forum
WTH

Attachments

• image111s.jpg
    image111s.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 205

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
When the FDNY VHF is shut off, then the UHF will be considered the "current" and not future freqs.

Well except for the fact that 98% of the radios in the field are UHF, not VHF. If you hear an MDC squawk, you're hearing a UHF radio. UHF is now the primary radio system for the FDNY, not VHF. Perhaps you weren't aware of this.

Calling the primary radio system "Future" is a bit odd years after its rollout, don't you think? :confused:

Any updates are welcome, but there are more complainers than participants.

If you want to consider me a complainer, that's fine. I'm merely stating fact, which is that it's apparent that your website has not kept up with the times.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
As long as the info is current here in the RRDB, which it is, my responsibility has been fulfilled. Others are free to do as they wish with their own websites, obviously. I consider the matter closed as far as the RRDB is concerned. Besides the fact that we have drifted way off topic, so let's either allow this thread to die (as it was before you bumped it), or get back to the topic at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.