462.575 GMRS repeater in Denver area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB9LMJ

So I was scanning the GMRS freqs in the truck today and heard traffic with a repeater hang on 462.575 in Aurora. I did a PL scan and found a PL of 151.4. I know it wasn't grandfathered business chat as it was 2 guys talking about their hike and both had different GMRS calls. I figured it may have been the open system repeater in Longmont, so I loaded up the input and was able to trip it at 50 watts.

I came home and looked up myGMRS.com and found it wasn't the Longmont system, it wasn't listed at all. So I fired up the HT and was able to trip it at 2 watts on a handy talkie from the Buckley AFB area.

I have searched the internet to no avail on info on this system and was hoping someone knew something about it.

Thanks!

M

mpg0515

Just a guess, I think it is on Horsetooth Mtn. or possibly Buckhorn. Very strong all the way up to FTC. Didn't catch the callsign(s) of the two guys talking as I was driving on I-25. At first I thought it might be on Gunbarrel but it was way to strong on the West side of Fort Collins for it to be located there.

Last edited:

KB9LMJ

Just a guess, I think it is on Horsetooth Mtn. or possibly Buckhorn. Very strong all the way up to FTC. Didn't catch the callsign(s) of the two guys talking as I was driving on I-25. At first I thought it might be on Gunbarrel but it was way to strong on the West side of Fort Collins for it to be located there.

That's an impressive system! I can hit it with 2 watts near Buckley AFB in Aurora. That said, I'm not sure it's that far N, as I can barely hit the 447.275 Horsetooth on 35 watts on the ham side. I'm going to try to catch a call sign or a repeater ID so I can look it up. I am really interested to see if it's an open system, or one that needs permission.

I was coming up from Castle Rock today and was able to hear it really fuzzy on the N end of town IDing every 10 mins. By time I made it to Surry Ridge, it was full quieting. Dropping down into the DTC and around the 225 area, it was around 5-7S. Knowing it's strong all the way into FTC is making me wonder if it's on Squaw as I talked the 146.670 from Aurora to Windsor with a very strong signal once. But...that would mean it should be stronger in Castle Rock....

....Maybe it's on Lookout Mountain as the YZT system 447.175 gets weak in Castle Rock and stronger up I-25 N of the city...

Thanks for listening to it with me!

Last edited:

wuzafuzz

GMRS is a bit different than amateur service. I don't recommend kerchunking repeaters without first obtaining permission from the owner to use them. Unless of course the machine is advertised as being open. It may have been me you heard on Saturday, talking to the repeater owner. I'll leave it to him to comment here if he wishes.

I own and operate an amateur repeater, repeated key-ups without proper ID's make me wonder what's going on with the machine. I do appreciate feedback reports for my ham machine if folks can get into the machine acceptably. It's understood that's not always possible, but is a good practice.

Last edited:
M

mpg0515

That's an impressive system! I can hit it with 2 watts near Buckley AFB in Aurora. That said, I'm not sure it's that far N, as I can barely hit the 447.275 Horsetooth on 35 watts on the ham side. I'm going to try to catch a call sign or a repeater ID so I can look it up. I am really interested to see if it's an open system, or one that needs permission.

I was coming up from Castle Rock today and was able to hear it really fuzzy on the N end of town IDing every 10 mins. By time I made it to Surry Ridge, it was full quieting. Dropping down into the DTC and around the 225 area, it was around 5-7S. Knowing it's strong all the way into FTC is making me wonder if it's on Squaw as I talked the 146.670 from Aurora to Windsor with a very strong signal once. But...that would mean it should be stronger in Castle Rock....

....Maybe it's on Lookout Mountain as the YZT system 447.175 gets weak in Castle Rock and stronger up I-25 N of the city...

Thanks for listening to it with me!

It is definatley not on Lookout... I can't hear it here on the West side of Arvada, unless I'm in a really high area. However, Buckhorn is at 8300' and will reach all the way down to Monument Hill with good conditions. Again keep in mind that I was on the very West side of Fort Collins and it was full scale, so it is definatley somewhere up there. If I go out East of the metro area or go up North again sometime soon, I will break in and ask if it is an open system and its location.

Some others people may be interested in:
462.550 131.8 is located on the Amoco building (1670 Broadway) in Downtown Denver, I think that the amplifier has blown or antenna/feedline has been damaged, can barely hear it anymore even being within a half of a mile.
462.675 151.4 is located on the Qwest building (1801 California) in Downtwon Denver. This works well all around the metro area. Both are open systems.

N0ZPK

462.575 repeater

I used to be licensed on this machine, i knew the owner, he was a tech at a radio shop in Arvada i cant remember the name of the shop. The repeater was located around the Golden area, the site if i remember started with either a G or E. i know it wasn't on Squaw or Morrison.
I'll be watching this thread

KB9LMJ

GMRS is a bit different than amateur service. I don't recommend kerchunking repeaters without first obtaining permission from the owner to use them. Unless of course the machine is advertised as being open. It may have been me you heard on Saturday, talking to the repeater owner. I'll leave it to him to comment here if he wishes.

I own and operate an amateur repeater, repeated key-ups without proper ID's make me wonder what's going on with the machine. I do appreciate feedback reports for my ham machine if folks can get into the machine acceptably. It's understood that's not always possible, but is a good practice.

Understand, exactly why I haven't talked on this system. This system isn't listed at all in any of the databases I was looking at, so I made the assumption it was a closed system. I was hoping to record the repeater ID and run it through a translator (I know....I'm a no code ham) and see if I could look it up and contact the owner about it.

But...the two systems mpg0515 list, aren't listed in myGMRS.com either, and he states they are both open systems. I didn't even know about those either.

mpg0515 said:
462.550 131.8 is located on the Amoco building (1670 Broadway) in Downtown Denver, I think that the amplifier has blown or antenna/feedline has been damaged, can barely hear it anymore even being within a half of a mile.
462.675 151.4 is located on the Qwest building (1801 California) in Downtwon Denver. This works well all around the metro area. Both are open systems.

Is there a better database for GMRS repeaters than myGMRS.com? I am really interested in getting my family on a system, with permission or confirmation of open system of course, that serves the Denver area well. But it would also be nice to know of others in the area that are up for use as we mobile around.

mpg0515 said:
It is definatley not on Lookout... I can't hear it here on the West side of Arvada, unless I'm in a really high area. However, Buckhorn is at 8300' and will reach all the way down to Monument Hill with good conditions. Again keep in mind that I was on the very West side of Fort Collins and it was full scale, so it is definatley somewhere up there. If I go out East of the metro area or go up North again sometime soon, I will break in and ask if it is an open system and its location.

I was going to say possibly on Smoky Hill after listening for a couple days while cruising around, as I was in west Lakewood and didn't get it very strong at all either over the weekend.

Thanks!

Last edited:

rfburns

was going to say possibly on Smoky Hill after listening for a couple days while cruising around, as I was in west Lakewood and didn't get it very strong
Smoky Hill has pretty good coverage in West Lakewood unless you get behind some terrain like Green Mtn or the ridge that crosses Colfax east of Youngfield.

N0ZPK

Eldorado was above Boulder, Green does sound right. I know
it had excellent front range coverage.

KB9LMJ

Well, the best signal I've gotten thus far has been on Gun Club Rd out east of Aurora. It was full quieting and the strongest signal yet. I'm making the assumption based on listening that Smoky Hill is most likely the location. I'll try to snag the repeater ID and look it up, but based on wuzafuzz's comment on letting the repeater owner post if he wants, and not hearing anything, it may be a moot point.

Thanks everyone for helping me hunt it down.

Wuzafuzz, I respect private systems and don't want to impose. Am I wasting my time trying to hunt this down and attempting to make contact with your buddy, the repeater owner? I understand if you don't want to give info on this, but if it's a closed system please let me know. Thanks!

M

mpg0515

Well, the best signal I've gotten thus far has been on Gun Club Rd out east of Aurora. It was full quieting and the strongest signal yet. I'm making the assumption based on listening that Smoky Hill is most likely the location. I'll try to snag the repeater ID and look it up, but based on wuzafuzz's comment on letting the repeater owner post if he wants, and not hearing anything, it may be a moot point.

Thanks everyone for helping me hunt it down.

Wuzafuzz, I respect private systems and don't want to impose. Am I wasting my time trying to hunt this down and attempting to make contact with your buddy, the repeater owner? I understand if you don't want to give info on this, but if it's a closed system please let me know. Thanks!

Travis, look at post #5, there would be no possible way that Smoky Hill could be heard on the West side of Fort Collins unless I was in the foothills, which I was not. It's up North, Horsetooth has good coverage out Southeast Metro including Aurora, DIA etc. Smokey Hill is about S7 on an HT in Arvada from the 448.500 ARA repeater here at my home.... 575 can't be heard here with an HT. Sometime soon when I travel up that way again, I will identify and see if they mind a conversation, or they can simply say it's a private system....

Eric also said that the owner would jump in here if he wanted to release the info, but has yet to do that so maybe he just wants the repeater left private?

KB9LMJ

Travis, look at post #5, there would be no possible way that Smoky Hill could be heard on the West side of Fort Collins unless I was in the foothills, which I was not. It's up North, Horsetooth has good coverage out Southeast Metro including Aurora, DIA etc. Smokey Hill is about S7 on an HT in Arvada from the 448.500 ARA repeater here at my home.... 575 can't be heard here with an HT. Sometime soon when I travel up that way again, I will identify and see if they mind a conversation, or they can simply say it's a private system....

Eric also said that the owner would jump in here if he wanted to release the info, but has yet to do that so maybe he just wants the repeater left private?

Yeah, I'm figuring my hunt for information is about over. I appreciate your efforts and info. I was curious because of its good coverage, but haven't heard anyone on it (other than the ID) since the first day when I made this post. As the world of GMRS goes, I'm totally cool with letting this thread die and chalking it up to a private system.

What gets me about it being that far N is I can barely hear 447.275 (Horsetooth) from Gun Club and Hampden in SE Aurora on my mobile on a Larsen 2/70, but the 575 GMRS was full quieting, strongest ID I've heard yet! Not to mention, I was able to trip the 575 with 2 watts HT in SE Aurora....I couldn't even dream of hitting a repeater that far N with 2 watts, especially on an HT. I was kind of having fun with attempting to locate it, as it's become somewhat of a challenge. But again, I'm good with writing it off.

Do you know for sure if the other two systems you listed are open systems? (The 550 and 675) I can't find them on myGMRS, or any other internet search I do, and I don't want to start using them thinking they are open and they aren't. I've been listening to them as well and hopefully will catch someone on and get the chance to ask, but with the hours I keep, it's hard to listen with any real regularity.

Thanks again for your input!

wuzafuzz

The system I'm using is on Horsetooth. It is a private machine with several frequent users, and a several other occasional users.

The Horsetooth machine is perfectly usable as far south as DIA, and presumably farther out. I'm not aware of any other repeaters in Northern Colorado using that pair, but it's possible.

If the FCC ruins GMRS by eliminating repeaters or allowing simplex operations on input channels, this repeater will probably become a 440 ham machine using the pair I coordinated for a different site. (See www.n6rfi.com)

N0ZPK

Guy Hill is where(was) the repeater is at., I had contacted a friend of mine who used to be on it and said thats where it was at.....its located NW of Golden @ apx.8300 ASL

M

mpg0515

550 with a 131.8 is for sure open, I would have to look up the call, can't remember off the top of my head.... However, the repeater is having some problems like I said, I think the amp may be blown or something other with the feedline. I can hit it only when I am very close to Downtown and it only gives back S1/2 signal. This repeater when working correctly had awesome handheld coverage all over the Metro area as it is co-located with one of the Denver PS simulcast tower sites at 1670 Broadway. Several years back this was used pretty regularly throughout the day but as of late even before the problems, has been pretty quiet.

675 151.4 is up and working and I was told by the owner of the 550 that this is also open. I have only used this a couple of times to talk to non-Ham friends, also very quiet most always. Give a call out on there and see if the owner is around...

On a side note, 600 is a school district that has been grandfathered in and they do a lot of talking, I seem to remember either Elbert or Clear Creek? I believe this is on Squaw but could also be somewhere else.

Last edited:

1clo1

462.550 131.8, 462.675 151.4 are these the out put frequencies what are the input frequencies?

1clo1

Usually +5 Megahertz
Does any one know how to program these frequencies, I put 462.675 for the RX freq and 467.675 for TX with 151.4 ctcss. When i key up i get nothing but when i release the PTT button it seems to pick up the repeater but not what was transmitted.

any one know if i am programing these frequencies correctly or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks

skyler440

Does any one know how to program these frequencies, I put 462.675 for the RX freq and 467.675 for TX with 151.4 ctcss. When i key up i get nothing but when i release the PTT button it seems to pick up the repeater but not what was transmitted.

any one know if i am programing these frequencies correctly or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks

So you key up, key down, and then hear a short blank signal, if so, you are doing it correctly. This repeater is not a parrot repeater, therefore will not play back your transmission after you are done.

It is full duplex meaning it will play back the received audio at the same time as it transmits on a different frequency. When you are keying up and sending a 467.675 to the machine, it is simotaniously transmitting your audio back down on 462.675 so everyone else can hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.