463.6375 Driving me nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
While searching today, I came across the above frequency. It sounds like an ambulance company. The thing is even with my tone search it will not reveal a tone. The system has one of those anoying bursts that comes on every second and continuously opens the squelch. Its driving me nuts! I did a search on here but all the listings that come up are businesses like country clubs and things. Anybody know who this is? I hooked up my external Optoelectronics dc-440 decoder to the scanner. I tested both PL and DPL hits on known frequencies to make sure the decoder was working. When I placed it on this frequency, nothing, nada, zilch,zero. Yet the signal is clear as a bell and full strength with only the back of the set antenna. I dont get it!

Manny

Last edited:

Tom_G

Ltr ?

Manny,
I am wondering if its part of an LTR Trunking system.
The ones up in the Hartford area will open the squelch every 11 seconds or so.
Since its part of a trunking system, there is no PL or DPL.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Tom, this burst opens the squelch every second. It cant be Trunked because I hear the transmitions and the audio clear as day! Both sides too. If it wasnt for that constant burst opening the squelch when things are quiet, you would think its a regular analog channel with no problems. The signal has no squelch tail.The interesting thing is that you hear units responding with their locations and its a fairly large spread, I've heard anywhere from Stamford to Meriden To Trumbull. All clear as day, both sides of the conversation! I heard one guy call in saying" car XXX to New Haven control". Its weird!

Manny

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Ok! I think I found it!

However, is the marcus system monitorable? LTR/Passport? One unit signed in as 2 papa 1. I thought the PAPA designator was Hunters. Hmm!

Manny

Tom_G

I just took a look at the marcus System at this link:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4117

This is listed as one of the Trumball frequencies.
Not sure why you are hearing the squelch open so much....
Its about 10/11 seconds between each on the Newington system.

As you probably know, LTR Systems have no control channels so you will hear bursts and then voice on the same channels.

I talk to Bruce Marcus on a regular basis on the AA1HD DStar repeater in hartford county, so I can certainly ask him.... 73,

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Tom!

I saw the Trumbull listing!
However, Im telling you this thing is as clear as a bell. With a loud external speaker, you would think the dispatch desk was in MY room! I'm not too knowlegeable on LTR as it is not really common around here in the Southwest part of the state, or at least I thought it wasn't until now! If it is LTR then Im gonna need some help setting this thing up. The constant fast opening and closing of the squelch is just plain anoying!

Manny

Last edited:

Tom_G

Manny,
No problem. LTR Trunking systems are usually not too difficult to get programmed in.

Looks like Trumball is a 4 channel LTR system.
Setup the system as LTR and the frequencies appear to be in Logical Channel Number (LCN) order so input them as listed.

The systems are listed as LTR standard and passport so I am not sure which is which.
Passport is not monitorable on any scanner as of today, so hopefully the Trumball system is LTR Standard.

I can certainly find out for sure from Bruce when he gets back from Dayton.....
Shoot me your cell number via PM if you want and we can chat more.....

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
This is what I want to know!

What, in the listings on here (RR) under the Marcus system, tells you which is LTR which is monitorable and passport which is not? It has not been updated since 2005. For someone new to LTR like myself, there is no way to tell which is which!

Manny

cg

Premium Subscriber
I had driven the state with the LTRTrunker program (tapped scanner w/ software needed) and researched all the Marcus sites. All were verified at the time they were submitted.

On the database, the only site that in not the Passport setup is 60 where one of the freqs was deleted and the regular LTR one added (although some now have more channels). Then a conventional TG was added below. That whole system listing should be the Passport and another System added for the regular LTR. The pseudo channel numbers on a Passport listing are confusing and should be eliminated. The channels just need to be listed, no order, no channel numbers.

Most, if not all, of the Marcus Passport sites have regular LTR at the same location. I am fairly certain that there is actually some crossover where certain freqs can do both.

Passport is easy to check freqs on because the frequencies (in the form of channel numbers) are sent in the subaudible data. Regular LTR does not do that, rather they send logical channel numbers (1-20) that correlate to frequencies programmed into the radios. For example, Passport would say go to channel 443 (converts to 463.6375). If it was LTR it would be go to channel 8 (where the correct frequency would be matched to).

chris
(off the net from 5/18 to 6/16)

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Dave!

I tried that as well!
If you monitor the signal from your house, you will see what I mean. Its weird! Its a clear signal but it has that constant click click click that opens the squelch. Its too bad because there is plenty of activity on it. We'll see!

Manny

KB1JHU

scanernutt said:
I tried that as well!
If you monitor the signal from your house, you will see what I mean. Its weird! Its a clear signal but it has that constant click click click that opens the squelch. Its too bad because there is plenty of activity on it. We'll see!

Manny

The constant clicking is the LTR Passport data bursts.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Scott!
Forgive my ignorance on the LTR subject but is there an LTR and then LTR-Passport? I thought LTR and Passport were 2 different things? Second, I would like to know
what exactly makes the Passport system unmonitorable? Again, Im familiar with trunking but never had to deal with this part of it (LTR).

Manny

SP101

Feed Provider
FYI - Hunters and Nelson both use the Marcus system.
Hunters used to operate a basic UHF system with a repeater in Middlefield, but chose Marcus for better coverage.

cg

Premium Subscriber
LTR is a basic type of distributive trunking (non-control channel). Since it was introduced, several improved formats were introduced. LTR-NET and Passport are both LTR based but have improvements. LTR is licensed by Uniden for use in the scanners while Passport is either too expensive or is just not allowing licensing (depends who you ask).

There are reasons that companies changed. For example, with LTR, you could program a radio with the system/freqs and use your talkgroup with more radios than the system owner knew about. Since billing was done by number of users, the operators ended up getting hosed. Passport requires each radio electronic serial # to be in the system computer before it will follow conversations.

Either way, you can trunktrack regular LTR but not Passport. You can listen to Passport, but you hear the key ups from the repeaters. Monitorable, but not trunktrackable.

LTR-NET is used by Cox CATV at least in northern CT. You hear a quiet open carrier in the upper 464.xxxx range. (I can't recall which ones). LTR-NET is also not trunktrackable with todays scanners.

chris

Status
Not open for further replies.