467.750 in Anniston area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WPXS472

A couple of restaurants in the area use those Long Range Systems coaster pagers to alert customers. They all seem to operate on 467.7500 MHz. I can find no license for any of them searching the FCC database. Today, I happened to be in town and fairly close to one of those restaurants, so I monitored 467.75 to see if I could pick up those coaster pager transmissions. After a couple of minutes, I heard a canned woman's voice say:"Assistance needed in home furnishings. Who is responding?" If you have been in any Lowes, you have heard this same voice. The nearest Lowes is close to a mile away. This signal was not strong, but very readable inside my car using my Baofeng UV5-R. So, a license search for the whole state turned up some licensees, but none close enough to be this. This definitely seems to be my local Lowes, but there doesn't seem to be any license for it. Does anyone have any details about this? Is it common to other Lowes?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Check out the mass licensing Lowes wall mart home depot etc have.and several restaraunt chains are FCC lived under names that are owner names not dba names. Like kmc inc might be dba hardees

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

ecps92

True, but Sadly, many are never licensed for the Restaurant Pagers
Check out the mass licensing Lowes wall mart home depot etc have.and several restaraunt chains are FCC lived under names that are owner names not dba names. Like kmc inc might be dba hardees

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

WPXS472

They must be some kind of nationwide licenses, in that case. They were definitely not listed in Alabama. I checked out every license shown for Alabama and most were in the Birmingham area. They seemed to be mostly steel mills. And there was one for Georgia Power that didn't list any locations. Those restaurant pagers seem to be very low powered. I have never actually heard one. The signal from Lowes had to have had at least some power considering the distance involved.

ecps92

I've searched the FCC in the past and have never been able to find a LOWE, LOWES, LOWES.... Nationwide License.

Plenty of Regional Distribution Facility Licenses, but none with a Nationwide

They must be some kind of nationwide licenses, in that case. They were definitely not listed in Alabama. I checked out every license shown for Alabama and most were in the Birmingham area. They seemed to be mostly steel mills. And there was one for Georgia Power that didn't list any locations. Those restaurant pagers seem to be very low powered. I have never actually heard one. The signal from Lowes had to have had at least some power considering the distance involved.

nd5y

There are a couple restaurants here with Coaster Call pagers on 467.75 with no FCC license that I can find.

"Assistance needed in ___. Who is responding?" voice system might be Target. The one here uses DCS 115.

Last edited:

WPXS472

We do have a target, but that is even further away than the Lowes. I see now that more investigation is required.

ecps92

Knowing the PL/DPL would help refine who the user is, as many of the Large Box stores, use a Common Nationwide channel plan, with the same PL/DPL's
We do have a target, but that is even further away than the Lowes. I see now that more investigation is required.

WPXS472

Having been in the local malls recently doing Christmas shopping, I now believe the source to be Target. I was in there yesterday and saw quite a few of the staff wearing what looked like FRS radios. But, this isn't an FRS frequency. I do believe they are using either PL or DPL because there are also frequent data transmissions on the same frequency and having to listen to them for hours on end would be very tiring. I will have to return with a radio that will do a PL search. My Baofeng will do it, but the user interface is so confusing to me, I have never figured out how to do it. I'll have to see if I can dig my FT40 out of mothballs and look for a working battery. That radio I can use.

nd5y

I will have to return with a radio that will do a PL search. My Baofeng will do it, but the user interface is so confusing to me, I have never figured out how to do it.
It's easy.
1. Go to the frequency or channel you want to search for the tone on.
2. Press MENU then select 10 R-DCS or 11 R-CTCS depending on whether you want to search for DCS or CTCSS (PL).
3. Press MENU again so the cursor moves to the bottom line, just like when you select tones.
4. Press *SCAN.

You have to be receiving a signal or have the squelch open when you press *SCAN or it won't search for the tone. It scans slowly and can take a long time to find the tone or DCS code.

It's best to do this in VFO (frequency) mode. When it stops on a tone you can press MENU again and set the tone. The tone will stay selected unless you change it again, just like if you manually selected the tone.

If you do this in memory mode you will be able to see what tone it found but if you go back to the menu or change channels you will lose it.

cmdrwill

467.750 IS an input frequency for Part 90 Licensed repeater 462.750. So the described usage is in Violation.

nd5y

467.750 IS an input frequency for Part 90 Licensed repeater 462.750. So the described usage is in Violation.
Wrong.
462.75 - 467.925 are unpaired base only paging channels and 467.75 - 467.925 are unpaired 2 watt simplex channels.
eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations
(11) Operation on this frequency is limited to a maximum output power of 2 watts; and each station authorized will be classified and licensed as a mobile station. Any units of such a station, however, may provide the operational functions of a base or fixed station on a secondary basis to mobile service operations, Provided, that the separation between the control point and the center of the radiating portion of the antenna of any units so used does not exceed 8 m (25 ft.).

ecps92

And to add to Tom's info, even if it was what many folks would call an input
465-470 Mhz, there is NO prohibition or Rule to prevent simplex us in that spectrum and it is quite common, and most folks skip/rule it out when searching

Wrong.
462.75 - 467.925 are unpaired base only paging channels and 467.75 - 467.925 are unpaired 2 watt simplex channels.
eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations
(11) Operation on this frequency is limited to a maximum output power of 2 watts; and each station authorized will be classified and licensed as a mobile station. Any units of such a station, however, may provide the operational functions of a base or fixed station on a secondary basis to mobile service operations, Provided, that the separation between the control point and the center of the radiating portion of the antenna of any units so used does not exceed 8 m (25 ft.).

WPXS472

I have monitored 462.75 and there is no repeater there to be heard. I thought what I was hearing might be an input for a while. I remember some years ago there were some low power frequencies that were called dockside frequencies, presumably for use by dock crews in unloading ships. They were paired with frequencies 10 MHz lower. I also looked at that and heard nothing. Whatever this is appears to be either unlicensed or licensed by rule. The data transmissions are pretty low power. I can't hear them at all at a mile away. The canned woman's voice can be heard further away, but still seems to be low power. I am going to hang out some over the holidays to see if I can get more info.

ecps92

See post # 12, 462.7500 and 467.7500 are not paired

As to the Cruise Ship/Marine channels, technically the 10 Mhz split is Illegal in the US/CN
and they should be using the 10.225 split (aka Fast Food Pairs)

You won't find Licenses for Cruise Ships as many are registered under Foreign Flags

Back to your Original Posting, until you get the PL/DPL we can't confirm the ID of the user, but if it is Target , it is licensed, Just like many of the big box stores.

I have monitored 462.75 and there is no repeater there to be heard. I thought what I was hearing might be an input for a while. I remember some years ago there were some low power frequencies that were called dockside frequencies, presumably for use by dock crews in unloading ships. They were paired with frequencies 10 MHz lower. I also looked at that and heard nothing. Whatever this is appears to be either unlicensed or licensed by rule. The data transmissions are pretty low power. I can't hear them at all at a mile away. The canned woman's voice can be heard further away, but still seems to be low power. I am going to hang out some over the holidays to see if I can get more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.