5/1/23 - I-55 100 vehicle pile-up (Montgomery County)

Mex

Around 1030 Hrs this morning (5/1) Troop 8 along with Farmersville Fire was dispatched to a vehicle crash on I-55, FFD advised up to 100 vehicles involved, 1 confirmed fatality so far, but there are multiple injuries. 4 Helicopters have landed at the north end of the wreck

IEMA is setting up a command post set up at Divernon Village Hall
Reunification point set at Divernon Village Hall

ISP Command Channel is set to 8-A2 (18-A)
Units on 8-A2 not on scene, advised to go to 9-B (Unk if thats current or old 9-B

Agencies I've heard on scene so far:
Illinois State Police - Troops 6, 7, 8, 9 - Division of Operations - Traffic Crash Reconstruction Unit
Montgomery County Sheriff's Office
Macoupin County Sheriff's Office
Sangamon County Sheriff's Office
AirMethods - HSHS Rescue Flight (Highland & Springfield) (x2), KidsFlight 1 (Granite City), ARCH 2 (Litchfield)
Illinois EMA
Montgomery County EMA
Macoupin County EMA
Sangamon County OEM
Fire channel keeps getting walked over by ISP on, making it hard to keep track
IDOT Litchfield Yard

Last edited:

Mex

1239 Hrs - EMS Command requested 6 more helos for a total of 10, later disregarded most of them
1245 Hrs - ISP IC advising total of 4 fatalities so far

Helicopters -
Survival Flight (Hannibal MO)

Air Evac Lifeteam -
- AirEvac Lifeteam 11 (Mt Vernon)
- AirEvac Lifeteam 137 (Greenville)
- AirEvac Lifeteam 156 (Maryville)
AirMethods -
- HSHS Rescue Flight (Highland & Springfield) (x2)
- KidsFlight 1 (Granite City)
- ARCH 2 (Litchfield)
- ARCH 3 (Effingham)
- ARCH 4 (Sparta)
- AirLife 2 (Olney)

Fixitt

Retired ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
Premium Subscriber
Prior to that, I heard an officer saying a farmer was working in a nearby field at that location and a dirt cloud was blowing over the highway.
Next I heard a report of an accident involving a semi hitting a car. The semi stopped about 1/2 mile from the accident site.
From there it mushroomed quickly. Calling in EMS from Sangamon county, because no more ambulances were available.

wx9svr

Premium Subscriber
Newly plowed fields in an area that's open & flat, a couple days of low dewpoints (dry air) & winds from the NNW & NW gusting up to 40-45 mph down that N-S stretch of I-55.

Last I heard as of Monday night, 30+ injured ranging in age from 2yo to 80yo, and at least 6 fatalities.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
And today the National Weather Service has issued a dust storm warning for the same area of Hwy 55. It is scheduled to last till 16:30 local time. But forecasters are suggesting that caution should be used into the evening.