5/15/19 - EZ Scan Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Wendy, thanks for the updates. One thing I would ask for on your download page (I did not connect my scanner as I am rebuilding from a hard drive crash) is to add a column or two giving the release date and version of the files. For two files, version is in the file name, for the other two there is nothing to tell us if it has changed recently or not (the DCP and driver files).

N3FAH

Regarding the 3.28 update, Wendy said "If a single objected is selected, the up and down arrows wil;l move the selection up or down one line".

Can anyone elaborate on that? it leaves the impression that I can, finally, edit relative position of objects in the database to put all like objects together, like be county, department, whatever. But when I try it, only the blue bar moved up and down, the "object" stays in the same place?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Regarding the 3.28 update, Wendy said "If a single objected is selected, the up and down arrows will move the selection up or down one line".
Last time I checked the latest version for the TRX-1 was 3.27. I think the 3.28 was to put back in a feature that was deleted on some models. However, I find N3FAH's description to be correct, you can now select an object and move your selection up and down with arrows. This does NOT move the object, only the selection.

Can anyone elaborate on that? it leaves the impression that I can, finally, edit relative position of objects in the database to put all like objects together, like be county, department, whatever. But when I try it, only the blue bar moved up and down, the "object" stays in the same place?
I wrote a lengthy "complaint" and had a phone conversion with Whistler on these topics about a month ago. This release is a great FIRST STEP toward making this software usable. But, it is only a first step. There are still so many things lacking including the ability to edit and orderize items as desired.

I am working on a review of the TRX-1 which includes EZ Scan. It is quite interesting comparing it simultaneously with just about every GRE made model. The lacking of EZ Scan is just one part of that. Thank you Whistler for what you've done so far.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
With this latest version of EZ-Scan I can no longer check for updates. I'm getting and error about a certificate problem against the Whistler server.

MichaelBhere

Does not appear to be an issue with the new app, I installed an older version then went to do an update and received the same message.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Does the "Newest, new" update fix the ability to add channels from one list to another?

N3FAH

I looked back and for the TRX-1 anyway, the latest version is indeed 3.28. Might be different for other apps though.

And well, yeah, it's a matter of semantics, huh. "The SELECTION" moves up or down, not "the selected OBJECT" moves... Pie on MY face.
OK, Wendy, you have our attention now... What else could be in the works? A truly editable database? Be still my heart. I know, at my age I shouldn't think like that - if it stopped, it might not restart. Ooh, but a little A-Fib is good for us. flutter flutter flutter

Thanks for the answers, folks.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I looked back and for the TRX-1 anyway, the latest version is indeed 3.28. Might be different for other apps though.

Actually, @N3FAH, check your updates and you'll see the newest is...

Version 3.29 - May 22, 2019
  • Fixed a bug in the Talkgroups section that would not allow setting the LED color values.
  • Fixed an issue with validation of the new web server SSL certificate.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Sooooo..... I’m not gonna “update” until I know if you can still move “channels” from one zone to the other, like my current (updated last year” FW does. Can anyone else confirm?

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
FWIW, I don't know how but just discovered that my entire scanlist 19 which has 190 [conventional] channels had the ALERT tab set to CHIRP. This feature was VERY annoying. IMHO the TRX shouldn't make any sounds especially if the speaker is MUTED.

I guess the CHIRP is the same as the low-battery alarm..?

Now I have to go set 190 channels to ALERT -> NONE by hand. Grrr.

**EDIT** thankfully the bulk edit worked...

Last edited:
Reactions: RRR

Ubbe

There have always been alert sounds generated when the speaker is muted. I let my TRX record most channels while scanning, mostly encrypted conversations that the Uniden scanner skips, for traffic analyze purposes, and turn the volume down to mute to let it record during night, but some alerts are really loud and woke my up and I had to removed them.

Maybe it's earned a firmware change request to mute the alerts as well. But maybe someone did wanted alerts to always sound, a very long time ago.

/Ubbe

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Well after mine was updated, I have no LED flashing at all, and the squelch opens on CSQ channels with no signals.

Have you checked for newer updates, there have been a couple in a matter of days, and I believe one of them fixed that issue.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
OK, I forced an update to firmware and the CSQ squelch worked once. LED still doesn't work. When I go into the individual object the programming looks OK, but nothing happens in normal scanning. The squelch is back to opening with no signal present.

Status
Not open for further replies.