5.3 magnitude earthquake strikes off southern California coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrwill

Nothing felt here. That is more than 70 or 80 miles North West from here, off the coast of Oxnard.

And a friend in Macomb County had emailed me wondering if we were OK.

Alain

Deep Vs. Shallow Earthquakes

Less energy is released from shallow earthquakes, while tremendous energies accumulate during deep earthquakes.

I'm near the Mt. Palomar Observatory and felt nothing as well, even though we are surrounded by granite, through which seismic waves move quickly. Primary and secondary waves, however, move slower, and are absorbed quicker, through the ocean's water. Sixty miles off the coast of L.A. is a long way!

A 5.3 quake on the mainland segment of the Newport - Inglewood fault near Long Beach, for instance, would have been felt by many millions.

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/what-dept...s_science_products=0#qt-news_science_products

Ravenkeeper

Yeah, use to feel all of them, when I was growing up in San Diego. Even woke up when the volcano blew on mainland Japan, while I was stationed in Okinawa. Ever since I got back to the states, and especially since I moved back to CA, I have NOT felt a single one.

Alain

San Diego County Quake History

Hi Raven...

Thank you for your service to our country!

Depending upon just how long you've been in San Diego County, this is the history of earthquakes of the 20th and 21st century. There are others in the 4.0 magnitude vicinity, but 4.5 is usually the threshold were humans begin to feel the waves...some folks do and some don't, depending upon the environment you're in at the time.

1) 5.6 off Coronado on July 13, 1986
2) 5.6 in Anza-Borrego on June 1, 2005
3) 5.2 Anza-Borrego June 6, 2016

There was a 6.4 magnitude in the Imperial Valley on October 15, 1979.I was working in Solana Beach at the time. Fluorescent light fixtures began to sway east and west and we all got a shower of dust off of them!

Last edited:

Ravenkeeper

Hi Raven...

Thank you for your service to our country!

Depending upon just how long you've been in San Diego County, this is the history of earthquakes of the 20th and 21st century. There are others in the 4.0 magnitude vicinity, but 4.5 is usually the threshold were humans begin to feel the waves...some folks do and some don't, depending upon the environment you're in at the time.

1) 5.6 off Coronado on July 13, 1986
2) 5.6 in Anza-Borrego on June 1, 2005
3) 5.2 Anza-Borrego June 6, 2016

There was a 6.4 magnitude in the Imperial Valley on October 15, 1979.I was working in Solana Beach at the time. Fluorescent light fixtures began to sway east and west and we all got a shower of dust off of them!

1) I was in HS, and remember that one.
2&3) I was stationed at Edwards, never felt either one.

I remember the 6.4 in Imperial Valley. I had just got done skateboarding around the neighborhood with my friends, went inside to rest and get a drink. I was sitting in my late-grandmothers chair, mom and brother were on the couch across the room, and my mom snapped at my brother to quit shaking the couch. "Mom, I can feel it all the way over here." That one rolled for a long while.

I was home for Northridge quake, I was temporarily assigned to Nellis for a few weeks, Red Flag & Green Flag. The weekend of the quake, I took a couple buddies home, since it was a 3-day weekend, they had never been that far west, and one had never been in either ocean. Got in LATE Friday night, went to the beach on Saturday and Sunday, drove out to Jamul and Campo (one of the guys saw a "Where the H is Campo?" shirt) via the "backroads" (old Highway 94 and all), after eating at Carlos Murphy's (Old Town) on Sunday night. The hangers in the closet rattling against each other woke me up, I got up during the quake, walked into the kitchen, got a drink of water, refilled my glass, walked back to my room, never checking on the guys. I got up hours later, and they were glued to the TV, "LOOK WHAT HAPPENED!" A few minutes later, it was "WHY DIDN'T YOU CHECK ON US?!!!" Yeah, they were dogging on me, all the way back to Nellis AFB. My (hotel) roommate was walking up the stairs, that morning, after being out all night drinking and gambling. Yup, you may have guessed it, he fell down the stairs. I had to continually check up on him all night, concussion. Mom and dad were out for the weekend, when they got home, they knew I was home, and asked me if I had seen the crack in the hallway wall. Apparently, it had cracked during the quake, never saw it, until the following summer. When I came home the following summer, after I returned from Incirlik AB, Turkey, my dad and I replaced the drywall in the hallway.

But, yeah, haven't felt a single one since January 2003. There's been about 10 major quakes, since returning to the states, I have not felt a single one of them.

There was a 5.5 on 29 July, 2008, I never felt it, but everyone around, in Subway, felt it. I had walked from the office to Subway to get some lunch. No sooner I called them "all loonie," all of the TVs switched to news about the quake.

Alain

Hello again Raven!

I had recalled that you said in your first post that you were stationed at March at some point in your career. My wife and I were out doing chores and came upon one of those "free-for-the-taking" newsstands. You know the type?

The small newspaper/magazine is called "Military Press". The cover story is "March Field Turns 100".

Here's the link if I've piqued your curiosity just a bit. I'll post the link on RR in the appropriate forum.

Thunder over the Empire | Military Press

Have a great weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.