5.574 domestic aircraft use in US?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcusDude

Premium Subscriber
I found the frequency 5.574 listed in the FCC database licensed to several locations throughout the United States. Does anyone know what this is supposed to be used for?

Frequency: 5.574 MHz
Licensee: Aviation Spectrum Resources Inc
Emission mode: 2K80J3E
Control Point: 6011 INDUSTRIAL WAY, ALAMEDA, LIVERMORE, CA P: (925)294-8400

KBP3 Minneapolis, MN (MSP)
KMA7 Dixon, CA
KMI4 Boston, MA (Logan)
KQO2 New York, NY (La Guardia)
KRD6 Fort Worth, TX (Fort Worth Alliance)
WCI4 Detroit, MI (DTW)
WKJ2 Boston, MA (Logan)
WLV6 Tulsa, OK (Tulsa International)
WQCH824 Phoenix, AZ (Sky Harbor International)
WZK4 Anchorage, AK (Anchorage International)

MarcusDude

Premium Subscriber
There are only 2 stations that I am aware of the in continental US: New York Radio and San Francisco Radio. There are others in Alaska and Hawaii, and on some territorial islands in Oceana, and Canada has a station in Gander, Newfoundland. I am wondering why this one frequency is licensed for use in the interior United States, in places like Minneapolis and Detroit. Is this some kind of domestic HF aeronautical frequency?

Also, there are some possible domestic aviation frequencies showing up in the FCC database for stations in Idaho on: 3281, 4595.4, 4635.9, 4637.5, 4638.9, 4650, and 5571 kHz.

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Interesting - Tulsa Airport and Ft. Worth Alliance are Major Air Craft repair depots. Alliance (KAFW) was until last year a Heavy (B-777,etc) Repair Center for American Airlines and also a FedEx Hub airport too...

Might be part of the above as one possible answer?

Bill

kma371

QRT
Aviation Spectrum Resources is the new name, changed several years ago, for ARINC.

Not correct. ARINC is still the same.

Aviation Spectrum Resources is something different. they manage and coordinate the licensing for freqs in the US.

Intellifax

ASR is a spin-off from ARINC a few years ago. ARINC was bought by Rockwell recently (1-2 years ago?). They are in the same building on Riva Rd in Annapolis MD. Phones numbers are slightly different (410-266-4000 for ARINC, 410-266-4800 for ASR). Aviation freqs once licensed to ARINC are now licensed to ASR.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
Not correct. ARINC is still the same.

Aviation Spectrum Resources is something different. they manage and coordinate the licensing for freqs in the US.

At 1 time ARINC DID provide spectrum engineering services for the civilian aviation community and provided actual communications resources for the same. I was unaware that ARINC's communications resources were sold off. Aviation Spectrum Resources, Inc (ASRI) provides that spectrum engineering services for the civilian users.

HopperD

Premium Subscriber
5.574 is used for Seattle Preflight check and also high altitude communications between San Francisco and airplanes flying out over the Pacific.

If I'm not mistaken it covers the Central East Pacific. I listen to this frequency all of the time and can hear high altitude flight controllers talking to incoming and outgoing planes over the Pacific.

What it's used for in the East I'm not sure.

majoco

Stirrer
5574kHz CEP1 San Francisco - Honolulu.

I seem to recall that a few years ago it was also NY Volmet but that may have been back in the AM days!

Status
Not open for further replies.