5 beeps every time my BC895XLT receives a transmission; how can I get rid of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK5B

My new to me BC895XLT gives 5 beeps in a row with every transmission I receive (much to my annoyance). I reset it easily but the problem is still there. I put in three 800MHZ police frequencies in channels 2,3,4 and started scanning. Whenever a call comes in; beep-beep-beep-beep-beep before the squelch tail...AARGH!

Anyone ever had this happen before?

Thanks for any replies!

Jeff, NH7RO

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Which EDACS system are you listening to?

a417

U+0000
isn't this exactly what happens when you listen to an EDACS system by brute-force scanning it, and not setting up the trunking? Been a long time since i've scanned an EDACS...

Syncopations

Hears voices in my head.
Premium Subscriber
Are you setting up all frequencies in LCN order as a trunking system, or are you just monitoring the frequencies as a conventional system?

My new to me BC895XLT gives 5 beeps in a row with every transmission I receive (much to my annoyance). I reset it easily but the problem is still there. I put in three 800MHZ police frequencies in channels 2,3,4 and started scanning. Whenever a call comes in; beep-beep-beep-beep-beep before the squelch tail...AARGH!

Thanks for any replies!

Jeff, NH7RO

KevinC

Super Moderator
Are you setting up all frequencies in LCN order as a trunking system, or are you just monitoring the frequencies as a conventional system?

Since it's a BC895XLT he must be listening conventionally...assuming it's an EDACS system (but I think that's a pretty good guess).

wtp

wasn't edacs "noise" at the end of the transmission...?
RockportAransas01 855.712502 858.462503 859.462504 859.9625c
if you really want to be annoyed put in the data channel.
you have get a radio that gets edacs and put them in properly. channel 1 has to be channel 1 ETC.
the 895 does not get edacs.
"we bring good things to life."

Last edited:

KevinC

Super Moderator
Pretty sure he's hearing it at the end.

wasn't edacs "noise" at the end of the transmission...

dragonball

Thanks for any replies!

Jeff, NH7RO
switch over to Edacs scat mode

a417

U+0000
the 895XLT only handled Motorola Type I/II(i) systems, don't recall it having EDACS.

AK5B

Hello all; This is the first time I;ve had a scanner that can receive above 512MHz and I am unfamiliar with EDACS and trunking in general. I already locked out the data channels and manually put in 3 of the 4 channels a417 posted above.

Sorry guys but I'm an old analogue guy lost in this digital world... I'll report back tomorrow when I get a chance here.

Jeff

AK5B

the 895XLT only handled Motorola Type I/II(i) systems, don't recall it having EDACS.

That probably explains it---perhaps the beeps are like error signals? At least I can hear the voice transmissions OK...

a417

U+0000
That probably explains it---perhaps the beeps are like error signals? At least I can hear the voice transmissions OK...
you can't track conversations, but you can hear them on the frequencies you scan.

the beeps you are hearing are part of the signalling used to make the EDACS system work. I don't know nearly enough about EDACS to tell you what they are (the whitepaper is a terribly boring read), but they follow every transmission.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
you can't track conversations, but you can hear them on the frequencies you scan.

the beeps you are hearing are part of the signalling used to make the EDACS system work. I don't know nearly enough about EDACS to tell you what they are (the whitepaper is a terribly boring read), but they follow every transmission.
I vaguely remember the beeps, which mimiced the GE jingle of "We bring good things to life" at the end of the transmission being marketed as an annoyance to deter scanner listeners by salesmen at the time. It may have something to to with EOT signalling, but I think the salesmen sold more systems with this line of BS.

AK5B

OK, I guess if I had a newer scanner that was set up for EDACS I probably wouldn't be hearing them at all. Oh, well, at least I don't hear them on the aircraft channels. Guess I'll live with it for now and maybe move up to a current model that will be enjoyable to use.

Thanks for all of your help, everyone!

Jeff (hearing beeps in my sleep, ha ha!)

a417

U+0000
I guess if I had a newer scanner that was set up for EDACS I probably wouldn't be hearing them at all.
You are correct, sir! I've seen EDACS capable scanners (only slightly newer than yours) going for very reasonable prices

Status
Not open for further replies.