"5 men buckled up"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalCarnage

Curious if anyone involved in Fire would know, i have never heard Durham Fire say this till today.

"Pump 5 responding, 5 men buckled up"

"Roger Pump 5, you are responding, 5 men buckled up"

The only thing i would think of is that they are saying they have their seatbelts on? But that for some reason sounds like a stupid guess since i have never heard them say that before?

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
That makes too much sense for the fire service :lol:

Maybe they mean the number of personnel in full turnout gear and in the process of putting on their SCBA? They have buckles too :D

tusker305

Thats what they are saying. The Company Officer is confirming that all on the truck are belted.
It started in Windsor after Engine 4 lost it on ice responding to a medical. None of the crew were belted and one will never walk again. This happened one week after Detroit Engine 17, responding to a working fire was hit by a speeding SUV. Engine 17's Driver and Lt. were both ejected through the windshield. Lt was badly injured with spinal fractures and retired. The driver was KILLED after being run over by his own truck. RIP Joseph. Windsor Fire Chief ordered that Company Officers will confirm via radio that all crew are belted before the truck moves. Best rule in a long time, and it's catching on. I just wish it was in place a week sooner. I was a block behind Engine 17 that night.....I wasn't belted either.

MetalCarnage

Ah, so u are saying tusker that this will be a regular thing now that they will declare over the radio when responding to calls now? And by the sounds of it maybe something that is being adopted across the board in ontario?

tusker305

I sure hope so. After 22 years on the job I never used the belt, I came up when we rode the back step on the engine. Stupid, but that's the way things were done.The more people that know, I think it will spread. If it stops one kid from growing up without their dad, then it's great. The chiefs will like it, because total cost for the program $ 0.

mchart13

Hi MetalCarnage
I'm assuming you were listen to Clarington at the time, I noticed they started that almost 2 months ago
(could of been before but that is when I started hearing it)
Also the reason I mentioned Clarington is because I noticed that the other FDs in Durham don't use it.
Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, Pickering all confirm they are responding to the call assigned to them and that's
it, they don't even supply the "PAR" count, which Clarington used to do before they switched to the "Buckled" count.
Maybe the other FDs in Durham will soon use the same practice.

MetalCarnage

Hi MetalCarnage
I'm assuming you were listen to Clarington at the time, I noticed they started that almost 2 months ago
(could of been before but that is when I started hearing it)
Also the reason I mentioned Clarington is because I noticed that the other FDs in Durham don't use it.
Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, Pickering all confirm they are responding to the call assigned to them and that's
it, they don't even supply the "PAR" count, which Clarington used to do before they switched to the "Buckled" count.
Maybe the other FDs in Durham will soon use the same practice.

Actually it was Ajax that used it....they were responding to a call in my end of the woods.....and like i said, never heard them say it before ever...i havent heard a dispatch yet since because i have been reluctant to scan them due to some issues i have been having as discussed in my other thread i have going right now so i dont know if they have said it again since...

KevMuskoka

Personally, even though I'm a "newer" member of the fire service, having 5 years as full-time (with another 7 as a volunteer before that) I didn't respond with a seatbelt on at first either.

Wasn't until my Captain came back from a course at the College (before the Windsor incident) that we decided to make sure we're always belted.

But, I find it embarassing to have to announce it over the air, that we're doing something that has been LAW for quite some time. Might as well make sure and announce that the driver has a DZ license, our vehicle had it's brake check at the start of shift, pre-trip inspection and everything appears to be in working order.

I do agree, it has brought being belted to the forefront and hopefully crews aren't just "saying" it and not being belted. I don't see any other advantage to actually announcing it over the air, because when the investigation happens they aren't going to go to the tape and say "they said they were belted, so the seatbelt must have broke and ejected him from the apparatus".

So far, we haven't had to say it in Vaughan - but it's slowly moving across the province......

MetalCarnage

Personally, even though I'm a "newer" member of the fire service, having 5 years as full-time (with another 7 as a volunteer before that) I didn't respond with a seatbelt on at first either.

Wasn't until my Captain came back from a course at the College (before the Windsor incident) that we decided to make sure we're always belted.

But, I find it embarassing to have to announce it over the air, that we're doing something that has been LAW for quite some time. Might as well make sure and announce that the driver has a DZ license, our vehicle had it's brake check at the start of shift, pre-trip inspection and everything appears to be in working order.

I do agree, it has brought being belted to the forefront and hopefully crews aren't just "saying" it and not being belted. I don't see any other advantage to actually announcing it over the air, because when the investigation happens they aren't going to go to the tape and say "they said they were belted, so the seatbelt must have broke and ejected him from the apparatus".

So far, we haven't had to say it in Vaughan - but it's slowly moving across the province......

I dont really think its something to be embarassed about, i think it can be a good reminder for people to buckle up.

Personally i have a wierd issue with buckling up, when i am driving, its the first thing i do right after i turn the key, but when i am the passenger in someone elses vehicle, i usually forget for a couple minutes then remember to do it up the second we come to a major road or a highway where the speed is much higher.....i think if there are firefighters like me, after a while of doing the same routine sometimes u just "forget" minute details such as buckling up, so if u have to radio it in everytime it makes u think about and have to....

Status
Not open for further replies.