5 People Charged For Using Stolen IDs On Police Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
It took the authorities a year to catch up with build a solid case against them.
"Use tact, poise and reason, to gently squeeze them"- Steely Dan
The MARCS team doesn't suffer fools gladly. Let this serve as an example who think unauthorized government radio system programming is a consequence free game.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I forget which place it was, was about ten plus years back I recall running into a county fire website site in Ohio.

Within it had zip files with some pretty sensitive information which I assume was Marcs and ADP.

I had forwarded the link to the county sheriff's office for that area explaining the sensitivity it contained in the zip file someone had put on the fire website.

Wonder if this was the area. It's been a really long time so I don't recall where it was.

But it was alarming to see system files, ADP information all visible in the files.

I do recall getting a email back thanking me and it is getting looked into but I don't recall much as I am nowhere near Ohio as time passed but this makes me wonder if this is related to that.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Nothing wrong with listening in on digital in the clear but when you start trying to hack encryption and cloning radios and programming radios is a whole different ball game. What's interesting is that were they just cloning a radio ID and using the radio on the system, and receiving encryption?

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Nothing wrong with listening in on digital in the clear but when you start trying to hack encryption and cloning radios and programming radios is a whole different ball game. What's interesting is that were they just cloning a radio ID and using the radio on the system, and receiving encryption?

I'm thinking it may be tied to that zip file that had got leaked from whoever years back.

It was sent out between fire agencies however wasn't locked and on a non secure Web page.

I had reported it back then as it was obvious there was things that shouldn't have been made public or have public access for various counties.

I had made comment in the email back then years ago access to that informatio /secure is and should be deemed compromised.

This is the only thing I can think of how they'd have got access to ADP stuff unless other methods were used.

Firekite

Wait, nothing bad happened, but the entire message is that these guys “could have” in theory found ways to put “first responders” in danger? Every hypothetical angle they used to try to puff up the story and sensationalize it is pretty silly.

They could transmit false info? So can anyone with a compatible radio. Anyone could use that little BaoFeng HT in the article pic to strike up a convo with my local SO, for example.

They could interfere with radio traffic? Don’t need an encryption key to generate RFI.

They could “ambush” cops? I mean, like in theory anyone with any consumer scanner could’ve done for the last umpteen decades?

Worst case scenario maybe some meth head got tipped off they were onto him and he skipped out early.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Wait, nothing bad happened, but the entire message is that these guys “could have” in theory found ways to put “first responders” in danger? Every hypothetical angle they used to try to puff up the story and sensationalize it is pretty silly.

If the radios really did have encryption keys, then it was an issue. But I'd find it unlikely they did.

But, if they did, it means theres a serious security risk with at least one employee of an agency.

If the radios were on the trunked system, they can divert resources from those that need it. When the radios register with a site, the system routes traffic to that site. That ties up repeaters. That can put legit users at risk. It's why there is so much talk on this site about not putting radios on to trunked systems and to use Non-Affiliate Scan.

allend

Premium Subscriber
It would be interesting to hear the whole story and the whole year investigation leading up to all of these arrests. From a technology standpoint I would like to know what evidence they gathered up

Status
Not open for further replies.