5 TSA workers put on leave over online posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
WASHINGTON - Five Transportation Security Administration employees have been placed on administrative leave since it was discovered that sensitive guidelines about airport passenger screening were posted on the Internet.

The move was disclosed as senators questioned administration officials Wednesday about the second embarrassing security flap at the Homeland Security Department in as many weeks. The Secret Service, also part of the sprawling department, is investigating how a couple of would-be reality TV stars were able to get into a White House state dinner without an invitation.

More info
5 TSA workers put on leave over online posting - News- msnbc.com

KC9NCF

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have tons of Airport experience, most of it in Airport Security and Airport Public Safety issues. I started out working a checkpoint and then eventually worked all of the Checkpoints in terminal 3 at O'Hare.

Not only have I worked all the checkpoints, I have run all of them as well and that includes the special employee / concession checkpoints / Law Enforcement Check-In. I've worked all of the "sensitive" airfield positions to include commercial airline hangars, cargo, and so forth.

That being said, I can guarantee you that there is NOTHING that is sensitive and it is ALL available to anyone who wants it via FOIA request. This is just the gov getting po'ed because these screeners pointed out racial and ethnic profiling. Nothing has changed from when the private contractors were there. The only difference is that the FEDS are running it and doing just as poor of a job too.

In my 17 years at ORD, there were only a handful of us who were actually respected and looked upon highly, and that is because we knew our stuff inside and out. I can tell you that I was there when the orders came down to stop each and very person we saw who even looked remotely middle eastern or otherwise had a "dark" complexion. Needless to say, I used behavioral observation rooted in facts rather than sketchy garbage science. I had nothing to do with profiling because I knew how wrong it was.

There does exist a team of people at the TSA who walk the concourses and observe the checkpoints using behavioral observation sciences, but it's all garbage science based on the most normal behaviors versus science based on what a truly threatening person does.

A person who is a threat looks like any of us anywhere in the world .They act the same but only, there are certain very specific things that the trained person looks for. See, a normal traveler who isn't acting deceptively is usually a bit anxious and shows some only very minor signs of stress such as becoming misdirected in their airport navigation once through the checkpoint and they are almost all very oblivious to everyone around them, and their mood is in any range from sincerely polite to only mildly harried (lest you get someone who has a fear of flying or small spaces or something).

A person who manages to clear security and still remains a threat displays behavioral characteristics that just scream out. They are watching everyone else instead of just enjoying their trip and their surroundings. They oftentimes will not have conversation with anyone if they can help it. They are nervous but use out of place excuses to cover it up and try to appear normal. They are deceptive and very guarded about the details of their travel, and there are many more behaviors to watch for.

When a threat comes through the checkpoint...their behavior stands out. They oftentimes have sweaty hands and they are noticeably watching the other passengers but paying more attention to the screeners and closely watching the other bags on the belt. A person who is carrying a weapon in piece-meal style and is working with a partner will try to play off the piece of unusual object found in their bag as something that just doesn't make sense, and they are most times defensive in ways that are out of place for the situation. They like to hurry the screener through the bag search and act in ways that are distracting such as interrupting the screener during the search or trying to carry on conversation that has an inappropriate attempt to be social. There's just so much more that I could put out here.

Looking for threats on a secure airfield is another story and everything I spoke about here was limited to the checkpoint operation itself.

Last edited:

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
I've been watching the the Homeland Subcommittee on CSPAN about this. Here's the Testimony from Gale D. Rossides, acting admin. for TSA

TSA: TSA Testimony on SOP Document

..In other news. I've always wanted to know what CIA credentials look like. Now three Republicans want to blame a couple web sites for the Fed's mistakes on software? I don't think so! You can't control what gets leaked, PERIOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.