500 Keypad failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHIOSCAN

Can anyone confirm if there is a keypad failure problem with the PSR-500. Has GRE acknowledged or
fixed this problem?

Thanks
Mike

freqhunter

Premium Subscriber
The keypad on my PSR-500 has failed. The contacts on the back of the keypad are cracking and flaking off. GRE, although not saying there was a problem, was more than willing to repair it free of charge. I did have to pay the shipping back to them. I had an RMA in my email within an hour of speaking to them. I hope their turnaround time is as good as their initial response.

radioman253

Premium Subscriber
re: flaking contacts on keypad

had the same reoccuring problem
I opened the radio to find out what the problem was. Flaking (carbon?) dust on board shorting buttons leading to the infinite beep.beep.beep etc......sound
i would prefer if I could have them send me a replacement keypad. Not the greatest design, that's for sure.
For now I have just blown off the flaked dust and reassembled the radio, and it works great for a while.

This is starting to remind me of my old PRO43's keypad problems although the PSR500 is much easier to open.
Otherwise an incredible radio but this situation really ticks me off.

OHIOSCAN

Keypad failures

Here's some replys from a dealer & GRE, I'am a little suspect of GRE claim of "2" problems.

Mike

Radiocompany.com reply

Ive sold over 400 of them and had few failures. According to GRE there were some batches issued that had issues. According to them the newest ones will not have any problems.
Hope this helps,
RA

----------------------

GRE reply

There is no known issues with Keypad. Only 2 were known to have problem out of thousands sold.

Regards,
Raj
GRE Support Team
http://www.greamerica.com/support

Ticket Details
===================
Ticket ID: 24461
Department: Scanner Receivers
Priority: High

freqhunter

Premium Subscriber
Well I got my PSR500 back from GRE. They turned it around, Ohio to California back to Ohio earthquake and all, in 10 days!

They replaced the keypad at no charge. It seems to function fine. The one sent back was 17XX. I have another that is 22XX with a build date of two months after the first. They could not, or would not, tell me if the 25XX was also in the bad batch. I also wonder how well it was tested as it was on the same frequency I left it on.

A few gripes though. When I sent my 396 back to Uniden they upgraded the firmware without requesting it. GRE did not bother to do that. I was kind of hoping they would to save me the trouble.
They also did not address my concerns of abnormal case wear either. The coating on the battery door has just about worn clean. Their explanation is that I must have cleaned it with an alcohol based cleaner. I have wiped the entire unit off from time to time with a damp towel. I do not think that should affect anything!

Overall, I guess I am happy to have it back fixed……….

Status
Not open for further replies.