500 Not Hearing Conventional Objects Anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanner

Premium Subscriber
Okay.

For about a week now, I have not been able to hear anything on conventional objects.

Trunk works fine.

I did the latest firmware upgrades, hard reset everything, firmware again, reverted back to the prior firmware upgrade, and still nothing.

When scanning a group of conventional objects (VA State Police for instance), the display appears to be stopped on the first object, with no signal showing on the meter, but the display still says "Scanning".

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Carl

raisindot

That's weird. First thing I think of is the squelch is too high or attenuation isn't on, so it may be getting "stuck" on something. Happens to me now and then. Or maybe something happened to "lock out" all of the conventional frequencies in your banks except for one?

Other thing you may try is downloading all your frequencies again to the scanner. When I updated to the new firmware I started getting "Heap Errors" that wouldn't let me activate any of the numerical or function buttons. So I basically just did a complete reboot of the scanner, downloaded my last saved Win500 file and it worked fine again.

Jeff

tgbrengel

Premium Subscriber
I had the same problem. It got worse and I wasn't able to receive digital that well either. I had my radio for just over a year and sent it in for repairs. The RX module was bad and GRE repaired it.

spanner

Premium Subscriber
I had the same problem. It got worse and I wasn't able to receive digital that well either. I had my radio for just over a year and sent it in for repairs. The RX module was bad and GRE repaired it.

Tech at GRE seems to think the same thing, he passed it to "hardware support" last week (Thursday), but I have not heard from them.

Will give them till tomorrow, then submit the ticket again.

Just for S$%ts and giggles, what did it cost you for the repair?

Carl

tgbrengel

Premium Subscriber
I don't recall exactly how much the repair was but, I'm guessing it was $100 or less. The repair time wasn't too bad and the scanner has worked great since. I wish I knew what caused the problem. GRE said that the modules can go bad but, wasn't able to say how I could prevent it or what exactly went wrong with the part.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Mine is going through this as well. I sent it off to them in January
and they found a broken wire from the board to antenna jack.
They repaired that and only charged me $20. A few weeks ago,
it was doing it again, it would pick up the local TRSs, but nada on
conventional, wouldn't even pick up the close by NOAA NWS.

I re-opened the ticket and sent it off again Tuesday, they should get
it today. Raj, Alex and the gang have been great about it. GRE service is easy and great to deal with.

puzzleriddle

Okay.

For about a week now, I have not been able to hear anything on conventional objects.

Trunk works fine.

I did the latest firmware upgrades, hard reset everything, firmware again, reverted back to the prior firmware upgrade, and still nothing.

When scanning a group of conventional objects (VA State Police for instance), the display appears to be stopped on the first object, with no signal showing on the meter, but the display still says "Scanning".

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Carl

Just an idea make sure the frequencies are indeed assigned to a scanlist & they are enabled:)

spanner

Premium Subscriber
Double checked all the scan lists.

Still no word from GRE support on when to send it. They must be busy!

Carl

spanner

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE:

Repairs complete.

RF board went bad.

Not a bad turn around. Sent last Friday, and they sent me a tracking number for return shipping today!

Cannot wait to get it back. Using my 96, and missing 20 banks of systems!

Carl

spanner

Premium Subscriber
Radio arrived back home yesterday.

Hearing all the simplex and trunks again!!

RF board was bad.

Have to say, GRE was real good about the service!

Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.