536 and BC-GPSK

Status
Not open for further replies.

kr9w

Really can't find any information regarding set up/instructions for getting GPS location up. It appears the GPS puck has a cigarette style plug, with the 9 pin din, for its own power source. Does anybody know if the scanner will be powered through this puck plug too, or does this entire setup require two cigarette power connections?

Rather unclear on manufacture part. I don't want to hardwire supplied scanner power connection to fuse box as I move this setup between two vehicles. Any current users or those in the know able to share how hardwire setup works would be appreciated.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Each requires its own power connection. Beyond that, it is plug and play.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
You might be able to build a harness using the USB port for a power source. I don't know the requirements of that GPS.

I used a similar GPS device that ran on 5VDC. I spliced into a USB cord to provide power. I used two 9V clips for a locking connector. If you do this, remember to reverse one of the wires for proper polarity.

I can also use the wifi with this setup. Current draw is minimal, I think the scanner can supply both GPS and WIFI just fine. No problems yet.

Attachments

• IMG_3180.JPG
    IMG_3180.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 901
  • IMG_3182.JPG
    IMG_3182.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_3183.jpg
    IMG_3183.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,052

kr9w

Thanks guys for the reply. I especially like ffexcPC idea and pictures. Great idea that I may use as I like to modify things for the better too. The BP-GPSK does show an output, at the cig. plug of 5 volts like your gps 'puck'. While I have an older Garmin, Etrex, that will work with the 536, I was hoping the BC-GPSK would be an easier/neater setup. E

Status
Not open for further replies.