536 and GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've been reading the manual and something isn't sinking in. Which takes precedence on location based scanning, the range set for a given system/site/department via programming or the Range set via keypad on the scanner?

In other words, I have a site programmed for a range of 20 miles, but I set the range in the scanner to be 50 miles. Will the scanner attempt to receive that site if I'm 40 miles away?

Trying to get my arms around using a GPS unit with the 536. (I've used GPS units with the x96 models, but the new generation appears to be a little more involved).

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
In other words, I have a site programmed for a range of 20 miles, but I set the range in the scanner to be 50 miles. Will the scanner attempt to receive that site if I'm 40 miles away?

Yes, it will attempt to receive it. For example, I have set a department to 1 mile and the BCD536HP range is set to 10 miles. I will only hear that department if I'm 11 miles or closer to that department. 10 mile radius for the 536 plus 1 mile radius set for the department.

emtLarmy15

The location range is set for the Site and For the Department in Trunked systems so make sure you set both!!! I was having this problem when I first set mine up.

Dewey

The official and best answer is at the "Location, Location, Location" link, but in a nutshell, they work together. The range programmed for the site is the distance from the programmed site. The range set for the scanner is how far the scanner will "look" out for overlapping system/site/department ranges from where the scanner thinks it's located. If a site is set with a 10 mile range and your scanner thinks it's 19 miles from the site, then the scanner's range will need to be set at a minimum of 10 miles to use that site. The scanner will "look" out 10 miles from where it thinks it is, and see the 10 mile site radius. Since the two overlap, the scanner will use the site.

Clear as mud?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It's probably one of them there "Zen" things. Another forum had a question about two instances of the same TGID being programmed. One of them had the TGID set to Avoid, but the second one was not Avoided. Whether the scanner would avoid or not avoid the TGID was a question that even Upman wasn't sure about.

So I was wondering whether there are two different range settings, which takes precedence over the other - the global range setting of the scanner or the range programmed for the system and would a GPS unit override both? The Location, Location, Location article sounds like its talking about what happens when no GPS unit is used, but in my situation, one will be.

Dewey

IIRC, once you plug in a GPS, the scanner's range will automatically be set to zero (GPS default), so you will only get locations where you are actually inside of the system/site/department radius. However, you can manually increase the range after the GPS connection has been established. As always, I reserve the right to be wrong.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The article is inclusive of using a GPS. The scanner range setting determines how far out the scanner "looks" from your set position for overlapping systems/sites/departments (as determined by their location/range settings). Neither "takes precedence."

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
It's probably one of them there "Zen" things. Another forum had a question about two instances of the same TGID being programmed. One of them had the TGID set to Avoid, but the second one was not Avoided. Whether the scanner would avoid or not avoid the TGID was a question that even Upman wasn't sure about.

That's interesting. I have that exact situation now. Some times it decode like a champ, other times nothing. HMMMMMMMMMMMM,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.