536 ? Before buying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nozzleman71

Premium Subscriber
I am about to purchase a new 536 and I have been looking at several different sites trying to see the best deal. My question is I think I read somewhere uniden won't honor warranty work unless purchased from them or from certain vendors. I can't find that post anymore and was just seeing if anybody had heard that or was I crazy. Just trying to get some info before I make my purchase. Thanks in advance.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
As long as it is a US model, Uniden will perform warranty work. If it's a European model such as the UBC3600XLT, you'll have to send it to Uniden Europe for service.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am about to purchase a new 536 and I have been looking at several different sites trying to see the best deal. My question is I think I read somewhere uniden won't honor warranty work unless purchased from them or from certain vendors. I can't find that post anymore and was just seeing if anybody had heard that or was I crazy. Just trying to get some info before I make my purchase. Thanks in advance.
I believe what you are thinking of, is a post a while back, that Uniden will not honor warranty for units purchased on eBay.

seth21w

If you want to be safe and plan on buying any upgrades for the radio I would stick with scannermaster or hro somewhere like that because amazon ebay newegg, are a grey area.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
How can Uniden tell if you bought a scanner on eBay? If it's a US model, you buy it, you register it with Uniden. They know when it was made, and when it was registered. What more is needed?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
How can Uniden tell if you bought a scanner on eBay? If it's a US model, you buy it, you register it with Uniden. They know when it was made, and when it was registered. What more is needed?
For warranty repairs (not counting the clock/display issue), the instructions are to include a copy of your proof of purchase. If that POP reflected an eBay seller, then warranty may not be applied.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Go With Known Dealers

As long as it is a US model, Uniden will perform warranty work. If it's a European model such as the UBC3600XLT, you'll have to send it to Uniden Europe for service.

I once purchased a Canadian model GRE PSR 500 through a company I Googled. Below, I found list of online dealers. Some, were pretty cheap. I went with cheap and paid in the long run, nearly too much.

Yes, this listener disregarded and/or did not review the site well. They also sold Harley Davidson parts and Fender guitars. They were located in Brooklyn.

I found out about my status when I attempted to have my radio repaired through the factory. They fixed the radio, called me to review the repairs, then said, "oops, we can't send this to you fixed because it is a Canadian model, it is illegal to possess or repair." So, I called the purchase company and asked why they sold me an illegal radio. The representative told me to send it back and they would send me an American model, no charge. I was very lucky since they kept their promise.

Morale of story? Always buy from a dealer-recommended list like the one Uniden has on their web site. I bought mine from the Ham Radio Outlet. They were cheap and prompt.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree with the above. I've never had any issues with either the Ham Station or Scannermaster that were not easily resolved.

The old adage of "You get what you pay for" is applicable. I've seen lots of posts from folks who tried to save some money, but ended up going through a lot of hassles later.

Blackswan73

What hassles? If it is new, and you have a receipt, it is covered. I have purchased from Amazon, Jet, Zip scanners, HRO, and Bearcat Warehouse. Never had any problem.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber

with the out of box issues on the 436 and 536 this is an IMPORTANT issue for sure. we buy these scanners knowing they may have problems out of box. good old uniden. lol. i waited a long time to get my 436 bec of the out of box issues. researched serials #s til i was blue in the face so to speak. i ordered a relatively new release and got one that seems to have the new display and has no problems. it has stopped me from getting a 536 though. i am looking at other options.

Blackswan73

I purchased my 536 on Amazon and I had no problem with getting warranty work done on it, which included display, clock, and another issue.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
it has stopped me from getting a 536 though. i am looking at other options.

Your loss. Uniden is doing the repair work for known issues (headphone jack hiss, display fade, clock reset, etc) regardless of where the unit was purchased, and beyond the stated warranty period.

Status
Not open for further replies.