536 display

Status
Not open for further replies.

twotoejoe

I hate the display on my 536. Has anyone figured out a way to make it brighter? It's very hard to read unless you are looking directly at it and then, even at it's brightest setting, it is not bright enough for me to read. Any ideas?

Soundman

Has it been sent in for the clock and date repair . Thy replaced the screen and made them brighter .

Soundman

You got that right . The sds100 is sweet . I am not to impress with the sds200 .It has a great screen but it has several problems .It was built way to fast . Thy should have took there time on building it and fixed the problems . It that same scanner just a base scanner . The same program .

Last edited:

Bob1955

I hate the display on my 536. Has anyone figured out a way to make it brighter? It's very hard to read unless you are looking directly at it and then, even at it's brightest setting, it is not bright enough for me to read. Any ideas?
If you just bought it, return it for the Bearcat BCD-996P2. Much better display and NO problems.- My friend HATES his BCD-436HP and wants to unload it. We don't talk anymore so oh well, his loss. Ha Ha

Bob1955

The very early versions of these scanners had the problem, but I believe it was resolved so that later production runs do not.
The BCD-536 has other reported issue as I have seen on other sites. Its either a SDS-200 or a BCD-996P2. My FINAL answer.
Stay safe everyone.

Soundman

The 996 scanners are hell to program and thy don't come with software to program .I still have the 996xlt I tried to program it .My friend gave me a file so I was set. It tried it for a week and packed it up because my town is simulcasting now so it not work great . So I am going to sell it .

.I still have the 996xlt I tried to program it
It's a 996XT and it can be easily programmed with FreeScan, which is FREE and easy to use if you know how to use a PC.

Soundman

Yes I know freescan I used it for other scanner . I am going to sell it I don't like the scanner and I need the money to pay for the sds100 I got .

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I hate the display on my 536. Has anyone figured out a way to make it brighter?

Is your BCD536 new to you? Just wanted to sure you know how to adjust the three brightness levels by pushing on the volume control? You can also make it easier to read by switching to the three line display.

Bob1955

Regardless of which display the 536 is using they don’t compare with the SDS100/SDS200 multi color screens. I know it’s like comparing bananas to apples, but just sayin...
n1chu, You are looking a "HUGE" difference of price here. A lot of people had NO jobs during Covid-19 and for most people, a BCD-996P2 is the way to go with NO screen display problems. Drdialtone will vouch for me on this posting.
Also, I believe Uniden America Corporation did correct that problem.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Like I said... there is no comparison. It’s not an apples to apples comparison, and although I was referring to color vs black and white, price is also a consideration... although the BCD436HP also showed up with sticker shock too!

Soundman

The 536hp, 435hp, Home patrols ,sds100 ,sds200 it take you 5 min to get it started . It take you hours to program the 996 scanners. The nice part of the 536hp, 435hp, Home patrols ,sds100 ,sds200 thy come with software there is a 50 state update and very easy to program and zip code. 996 does not have any of that . The price is great .But trust me you get what you pay for .

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber

There are workarounds for the miserable screen if you can leave it connected to a PC..
436/536 look great using ARC536 Pro with the Virtual Control Display. This is one option and works great for me.. There are other similar options from other software providers..

paranoia11

I also hate the display on my 536, now that I have got my new SDS 200 I am going to send my 536 in for repair, hopefully that will fix the display problems.

twotoejoe

It is a later version, or so Uniden said that I didn't need to send it in for an update. And Yes, I've owned it for a while and I have it set to the brightest option. It's still so

996 scanners will NOT work in my area. Only the x36 scanners and the SDS series will pick up the LEO and simulcast in my area, plus I have to upgrade to DMR.

I just thought that someone had figured out a way to make it brighter as I can't see it at all when running mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.