536 Full Database Scan Missing TGID Traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

vortex360

Scanning the Full Database as it is now results in missed TGID traffic on the 536HP. When one places the main control channel in 1st spot with the alternates on 2nd and 3rd in Sentinel, mysteriously the missing traffic starts coming in. The Full Database can't be altered in the method described above. The only way to adjust it is to create a Favorites List. Scanning the Full Database is flawed significantly as a result.

AC2OY

A friend of mine made a significant discovery...program each system in as a separate favorite and the scanner will fly. If your scanning the entire database you will miss a lot of traffic trust me I tried in the beginning.

TedRHayes

The missed TGIDs when scanning the Full Database are probably a function of Location based scanning.

Location is always enabled when scanning Full Database systems. Your scanner will always have Lat/Long & Range values assigned (either from the Zip Code set, Manual Set, GPS input,etc.). Systems and included Departments in the Full Database have a GeoLocation defined by a Circle (Lat/Long/Range) or Rectangle (Top Left Lat/Long & Bottom Right Lat/Long). If the Circle defined by the scanner's current Lat/Long/Range does not intersect with the System/Department GeoLocation, the System and/or Department TGIDs will be automatically "avoided".

phask

Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine made a significant discovery...program each system in as a separate favorite and the scanner will fly. If your scanning the entire database you will miss a lot of traffic trust me I tried in the beginning.

It will also load all sites that it "thinks" are within range. Each site adds a few seconds to scan time. FWIW - my state system will load around 10-12 sites. Realistically I only need 3 and can actually only receive 5 or 6 with a decent antenna.

AC2OY

It will also load all sites that it "thinks" are within range. Each site adds a few seconds to scan time. FWIW - my state system will load around 10-12 sites. Realistically I only need 3 and can actually only receive 5 or 6 with a decent antenna.

That's probably it scans slower than the 800. My friend knew what he was doing when he did my 800 file it only scanned West Orange Simulcast and it flew!

AC2OY

The missed TGIDs when scanning the Full Database are probably a function of Location based scanning.

Location is always enabled when scanning Full Database systems. Your scanner will always have Lat/Long & Range values assigned (either from the Zip Code set, Manual Set, GPS input,etc.). Systems and included Departments in the Full Database have a GeoLocation defined by a Circle (Lat/Long/Range) or Rectangle (Top Left Lat/Long & Bottom Right Lat/Long). If the Circle defined by the scanner's current Lat/Long/Range does not intersect with the System/Department GeoLocation, the System and/or Department TGIDs will be automatically "avoided".

Ted question? Isn't default location or range 20 miles? When I first fired up my 536 right out of the box before reading one word in the manual, I heard nearly three states. Needless to say I had to narrow it down a wee bit. When I get a hit on a talk group I hate and hit avoid another one pops up. I don't think mine is missing talk groups because that is one area where it seems to excel in.

Last edited:

TedRHayes

Ted question? Isn't default location or range 20 miles? When I first fired up my 536 right out of the box before reading one word in the manual, I heard nearly three states. Needless to say I had to narrow it down a wee bit. When I get a hit on a talk group I hate and hit avoid another one pops up. I don't think mine is missing talk groups because that is one area where it seems to excel in.

Given the density of cities near your NJ location it doesn't surprise me. You're probably within 25 miles of 4 states. Have you ever browsed the RR database and looked at the Google map views of the Geolocations for the various Systems/Sites/Departments in your area?

vortex360

The system is Indiana SAFE-T, a P25 system. I am in South Bend in Saint Joseph County. Other TGIDs in the Saint Joseph County department receive ok but the South Bend City Police TGIDs do not come in unless one rearranges the control channels as described above. At some point a firmware update will be needed to automatically arrange the control channels in the Full Database so that all of the TGIDs are able to be received properly.

JoeyC

Since a site in a trunked system will only uses ONE control channel at a time, rearranging their order in programming is irrelevant. The source of your problem is more likely as already described. This is not a bug.

xrorx

Premium Subscriber
As a test on my 486 scanner, I loaded only the control channel frequencies for a MOTO Smartnet II system and scanning works just fine. Maybe even a couple milliseconds faster. HIHI It would be interesting to know how the scanner really handles a trunk system while having only one receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.