536 GPs mapping software

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI4SXZ

What mapping software does everyone use for adding GPS location to Sentinel for their scanner. I've tried google earth and arcgis. Neither one of them is easy to do what i need. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you're referring to a way to update the scanner with your current location, such as when traveling, you don't need any software to do that. Simply plug in the Uniden GPS puck and the scanner will update its position automatically.

OTOH, if you want to tag a new favorite list entry with GPS coordinates, there isn't any automated way to do it. THe best you can do is copy and paste the coordinates from Google Earth or whatever.

KI4SXZ

I was looking for different suggestions for what people use to get their coordinates and ranges for circles and rectangles. I know you still need to update by hand, just how they collect the data.

jiminpgh

Lurker
Premium Subscriber
MS Streets and Trips

I use Microsoft Streets and Trips.
Its older and resides on my computer and I have a file of thumbtacks for scanner GPS locations and other things. You can set up the "location" function of Streets and Trips that reads out the GPS coordinates that the Sentinel software and the scanner understands. The coordinate data has to be manually entered on the map thumbtack and Sentinel.

Location scanning is revolutionary, I have travelled thousands of miles without locking, unlocking or quick keying systems. All I do is adjust the volume. It just plain works. I got excited when the 536 offered rectangles. I could profile specific roads, like toll roads. Most counties are more square than round.

Mapping allows GPS control to a micro level. How about turning on a retail or mall system only if you are within a half mile? There are many other examples.

The location settings from the RR database are hit or miss at best. Some states have tight, coherent location data. Most are just sloppy with every entry in a county with the same coordinates and a 20 mile radius. State systems can have equally absurdly large radius. Work with a map and you will be turning on towns at the city limits.

Its been a long trip and my map always needs updating, but it is worth it.
Good luck.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 503

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
ProScan BCDx36HP Favorites Editor Coming Soon.

Attachments

• googlemap.jpg
    googlemap.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 635

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
What mapping software does everyone use for adding GPS location to Sentinel for their scanner. I've tried google earth and arcgis. Neither one of them is easy to do what i need. Any suggestions?

I'll just do an append from the master database. That brings in location information. If I want to confirm the accuracy of the location, I'll enter the zip code for the given location and see if the right "stuff" is turned on.

marksmith

Freescan uses Google maps. Everything is free. You center a point on the screen and add a range. It draws you a circle.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I was looking for different suggestions for what people use to get their coordinates and ranges for circles and rectangles. I know you still need to update by hand, just how they collect the data.

When I was playing around with that I used the link below to draw a radius ring around a point on a map. It lets you enter in miles how much of a radius will be drawn.

Draw radius circles on a map

Also, a huge thanks to Bob for this , I cant wait to try it. Thanks again

ProScan BCDx36HP Favorites Editor Coming Soon.

57892d1483493992-536-gps-mapping-software-googlemap.jpg

Last edited:

The_B_Chief

Premium Subscriber
I have found that I prefer to use the rectangles over using the circles. However, I am concerned with causing any conflicts with overlapping rectangles. For areas that are an odd shape I try to simplify the coordinates by using multiple rectagles. Some overlap. Will/would this cause them to cancel each other out?

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
Overlapping rectangles don't hurt anything. I had a copy of Microsoft streets and trips that I found and I use that. You can draw circles and rectangles and wherever I hover the mouse on the screen it gives the Lat and long in the lower right corner of the screen. It's discontinued now so you might be able to find a cheap copy of it somewhere. And a huge plus is that streets and trips shows county lines.

The_B_Chief

Premium Subscriber
Overlapping rectangles don't hurt anything. I had a copy of Microsoft streets and trips that I found and I use that. You can draw circles and rectangles and wherever I hover the mouse on the screen it gives the Lat and long in the lower right corner of the screen. It's discontinued now so you might be able to find a cheap copy of it somewhere. And a huge plus is that streets and trips shows county lines.

That's great news. I have been using google maps.

Thanks.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
Here is a tip for Microsoft Streets ans Trips, Ctrl-Alt-C will copy the gps coordinators your cursor is on to the clipboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.