536 Question: Where does the audio go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4OGL

Premium Subscriber
Disclaimer: I haven't bought the 536 yet. I'm traveling and had to tell HRO to pass my reservation to the next customer, and reserve me one from the next batch. So, this question is sort of abstract.

I plan to install the 536 in my car and would like to operate it remotely with an Android phone docked in the car. Is there an Android app that ships with the 536?

Also - if operated remotely through a WiFi connection (phone/computer/whatever), does the 536 attempt to route the audio to the remote device, or can it still be routed to either (1) an extension speaker, or (2) the main speaker in the unit? If I can (eventually) operate the 536 from an Android phone, I would like to have the audio come out of the extension speaker, and not the tiny speaker in the phone/tablet.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
The App is still being worked on and will come out as a download at some point. It does not ship with either scanner.

As for using the phone and external speaker, I would assume (I know I should not) you could plug a speaker into your phones headphone jack and then hear the audio, but if your phone rings and you want to use it to talk you will need to unplug the speaker every time....unless you are using a Bluetooth speaker....again I assume....lol

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've got my fingers crossed that the Siren app would function similar to the RH96 for the XT series radios, in that you still use either the scanner's internal speaker or external speaker. I'm guessing that a smart phone or other such device simply doesn't have enough audio horsepower to overcome vehicle/road noise.

Having said that, it might be a nice option to have a choice between sending the audio to the device or leaving it at the scanner speaker (or external speaker). That way one might have a blue tooth headset, or given the interfaces with car radio systems and devices, the audio could end up on the car's radio system.

I'm sure Upman has to be cringing as suggestions come up, as he is probably pulling what little hair he's got (hey I'm in the same boat:p), just trying to get a basic app on the streets.

Status
Not open for further replies.