536 SD card issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDaddy419

I need a little help here, I have the 536 and has been working great. Last night we had a pretty bad thunderstorm and the power went out. When the power came back on several hours later, the screen on the 536 says to clear user data using sential software. I plugged it in to do so and the software isn't detecting the SD card. What do I need to do to fix this? I've had the 536 since January and haven't had any problems with it until now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

troymail

Silent Key
I need a little help here, I have the 536 and has been working great. Last night we had a pretty bad thunderstorm and the power went out. When the power came back on several hours later, the screen on the 536 says to clear user data using sential software. I plugged it in to do so and the software isn't detecting the SD card. What do I need to do to fix this? I've had the 536 since January and haven't had any problems with it until now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JamesO has been posting his frustration with a similar problem here: http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-bug-reports/291124-sd-card-corrupt-due-power-disruption.html

You may need/want to try this: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Best bet - always have at least one extra card programmed and ready to go...

JamesO

BigDaddy,

Welcome to the Corrupted SD Card Club!! Sorry to hear you are the newest member, not something I would wish on most people here.

You should read my thread on this and I think we need to track this problem , as I believe it is a problem and we will hear more about this situation in this season.

I first want to say that I doubt your problem had anything to due with a near field lightening hit, but more with multiple power off and on cycles? Discount all the lighteningphobes that will tell you you should have turned off the scanner, disconnected the probably non existent outdoor antenna so forth. In my case I was not interested or thinking about jumping out of bed at 5 am to turn my scanner off.

I have tried all but the very last suggestion in my thread to bring my SD card back from the dead. None of the software tools worked, the card cannot be properly read or formatted by 3 different Windows machines each running a different OS. 2 video cameras were unable to format the card internally. As I have mentioned, I spent $60 in time on a $6 card at this point.

I have additional cards on the way and my long term plan is to have a clone card taped on the outside of the scanner, for my 436HP I can tape a card on the inside of the battery door.

Would really like to hear more about your experience, I expect this to be a re-occurring theme over the next 4-5 months as storm season moves across the country.

BigDaddy419

Thanks for the help. I'm assuming that the corruption comes from an improper shutdown of the device, similar to just flipping the switch on a computer and not shutting it down properly. Anyway, James basically you are saying the simplest fix would be to purchase new SD Cards and upload the database from Sentinel onto them? Is there any type of card that will work, or does it have to be a certain type? Just want to have my bases covered before purchasing anything.

benca

Premium Subscriber
Another SD Card Access Error Club Member!

I guess I am the next unfortunate member of the BCD536HP SD CARD Access Error Club Today :(

This afternoon I pressed the menu button, scrolled to my favorites list to locate the BLM quick key and
before I can go back to the menu and hit the quick key numbers
POOF!
SD Card Access Error...
what Joy...
PS No power outages here scanner has been on 24/7 for over a month
I will now try and go through the posts and work through a solution.

JamesO

I had a feeling that these issues would start coming out of the woodwork very soon!

As for the Micro SD card that came with my scanner, it appears to be a decent name brand Sandisk, however, you never know what you are buying for cheap in Asia???? Plastic and silk screening is easy.

As for the type or brand of card, suggest you stick with the main stream vendors. The scanner comes with a 4GB card, however, I think you can go up to 32GB in these scanners??

I bought a number of next micro SD cards as I have an HP1E, 436HP and 536HP along with most cell phones using micro SD cards. So I plan on cloning or making duplicate copies of the cards and having them with the radio so in the event I have a corrupt card, I do not need to be down for any period of time other than swapping the card. Then I can attempt to recover the corrupted card(s) at my leisure.

I plan and would suggest you somehow mark (Sharpie/Pencil) the corrupted cards to track them, just in case you can recover a card you can keep track of the card(s) that have been previously corrupted.

Starting to think there may be some Voltage instability issues within the internal DC bus????

freqhopping

:mad:
My 436 just killed a third 8GB card. Took it out to copy audio files off it. Reinstalled, turned it on and got SD Card Access Error.

My computer will no longer recognize it as a drive just like the other two. Can't recover something the computer doesn't see.

Only the SD card that came with it hasn't gotten corrupted when doing the same things.

jackj

It is beginning to appear that Uniden has a problem with how their X36 scanners handle the SD card. I have to say that I don't own one of those but I do have a GRE PSR-800 that uses the same type of card. I have hosed one of my cards twice - not sure it was the same card - by unplugging it from the scanner while the scanner was still powered up. Windows 7, and XP wouldn't format the cards neither would the GRE programing software but SDFormater did reformat the cards and saved them. James said he tried that program but it didn't work for him. Google for it and try it, may save you 5 or 6 bucks.

jackj

I forgot to say that you will need to try it with the card in a card reader, not installed in the scanner.

JamesO

Not looking good so far.

Maybe a bad batch of SD cards???

I know there were a lot of bad SSD (Solid State Harddrives) that were due to some bad interface chips on the market.

Everyone reporting SD card problems, please tell us the brand of the SD card(s) that came with the scanner and that are having issues.

My 536HP had a 4 GB SanDisk card that so far I have not been able to recover with 4 different software formatting tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.