536 tracking lag - Attn: UPMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctordave

There have been scattered Uniden forum references to the x36 radios being slower than other radios at opening up audio on P25 trunked systems - for example, my side-by-side comparisons of a 536 and a GRE 600 (and I should point out that the 536 is decoding fine with just the back-of-set whip and the GRE600 requires a precisely aimed yagi to perform properly), both programmed identically and monitoring a single Phase I (Baltimore County MD) system, demonstrate not uncommon scenarios in which the 600 opens audio about 1 to 1.5 seconds before the 536. Both are decoding remarkably well - and the quality of the audio is superb. There are no identifiable programming issues specific to the 536 (and I'm extremely well versed in the features/programming) to account for this. Many others have also documented this issue.

Just wanted to establish a separate thread for this to assure that it is truly on your radar screen, UPMAN, for some possible corrective intervention.

Thanks for your continued efforts. There certainly are some kinks to work out, but overall I do love my fleet of 536 radios and the x36 series represents (for my specific monitoring) a giant leap forward in Phase I decoding, amongst other perks.

whsbuss

You are correct about other reports of similar problems. Maybe posting a video of exactly how its happening for you would be helpful for UPMan and others.

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
Try changing the P25 Threshold mode to Manual and the P25 Threshold Level to 10.
It's under the Options tab for the Site in the Favorites Editor.

JamesO

I am seeing some similar behavior on my scanner.

Scanner stops, Talk Group ID appears, no audio.

Many times if the conversation is short, I never hear any audio and the scanner resumes without ever opening the squelch.

My 396XT seems to lock on and open the squelch much faster and more consistently.

I have not found a rhyme or reason for this, however, I have noticed this behavior.

I am wondering if this is the same issue as the keypad delay?

Maybe there is an interrupt timing issue in the firmware?

I think I have seen this both when and when not recording.

doctordave

Excellent point regarding the keypad delay, James. Another RR member and I were just talking about that and some other hints of processor response lags. This delayed audio opening behavior seems to happen about 20% of the time for me - - and your characterization of it lacking rhyme/reason is spot on.

Redburgundy, This is an issue that is not presently mitigated by any of the known software/radio menu tweaks.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

On a potentially related topic, see my post here.
http://m.radioreference.com/forums/GetThread.php?t=285371&bat=lp&nrp=10#p2141150
I found that for MOT systems setting P25 wait time to 0 ms and adding a delay of 1 second on talkgroups can help.

doctordave

Thanks for the suggestion - had previously tweaked that (and essentially all other settings) without change in performance. Thinking in a "Windows" platform way, I'm going to more frequently turn off and back on the radios and see if any improvement is noted. I doubt this will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.