536 WiFi - hard locks scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

drdiesel1

Updated firmware on both the Wifi dongle and the scanner. Wifi info shows the dongle connected with v5.01, scanner v 1.02.03.

Doing Wi-Fi Setup > Set Connection > Infrastructure Mode:

Gets stuck with the following text:

"Looking for networks"
"Please wait."

Left it go for ~10 minutes, none of the front panel button do anything, have to switch it off to recover. I have two 2.4ghz access points, one on 2412 the other on 2457, both WPA2, signal is great, different SSIDs. Laptops, cell phone, tablets all connect to either without issue.

Ideas?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
When your WiFi dongle is connected to the rear port do you see a green LED lite on the dongle?

When you did the firmware update, did you install the virtual comm port and then update the firmware? (it appears that you did, but maybe you should verify).

What make and model of WiFi router are you using?

Do you use a "visible" SSID?

Can you turn the security off and test to see if it will connect without secure connection?

drdiesel1

Yes, green LED is on.

Yup, virtual comm port installed, upgrade process said is upgraded successfully.

All wireless gear is Ubiquity, one Bullet M2, one NanoStation Loco M2.

Ok, Update:

I did this 3 times to confirm. Once I set one of the APs to open, then searching from the 536 worked, and not only the open AP show up, but also the WPA2 encrypted one did as well, and connected.

Turn them both back to WPA2, none show, switch one to open, both APs show up. 100% repeatable.

wise871

Database Admin
I just looked up your equipment. Never heard of it before. How are you configuring WPA2?

WPA2-TKIP – enable WPA2™ security mode with TKIP support only.
WPA2-AES – enable WPA2™ security mode with AES support only.

gonzalu

Just installed mine this morning to an Apple Time Capsule Base Station using WPA2-PSK-AES ... no issues.

drdiesel1

Another note, once it's connect to either of the APs, when searching, with both set to WPA2, both show just fine, but has to be connected to one of them first.

wise871

Database Admin
WPA2-AES/PSK, which connects and works. See the update on Post #3, sure looks like a bug to me.

It could be a number of things.
1. AP Settings, something simple
2. Firmware update needed for AP, just an option.
3. Bad Uniden WiFi Dongle

I've seen dozens of post so far and had about 20 emails and private messages in the last day asking to take folks through the WIFI settings and yours is the first I heard having an issue. But your also using a different type of WIFI from the mainstream.

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Yes, green LED is on.

Yup, virtual comm port installed, upgrade process said is upgraded successfully.

All wireless gear is Ubiquity, one Bullet M2, one NanoStation Loco M2.

Ok, Update:

I did this 3 times to confirm. Once I set one of the APs to open, then searching from the 536 worked, and not only the open AP show up, but also the WPA2 encrypted one did as well, and connected.

Turn them both back to WPA2, none show, switch one to open, both APs show up. 100% repeatable.

Did you try turning one router off, connecting the 536 to the SSID of the active AP, then turn the other on to see if it remained connected? I'd try that on each one (one at a time) to see if it make a difference. Maybe the dongle is not able to lock onto both signals at the same time.

drdiesel1

Very true. The fact that both show up once one is set to open really makes it look like a Uniden bug.

Now that's it's connected, what can I do with it, lol?

gonzalu

I have 3 other Wi-Fi routers on at the same time as the Apple Time Capsule (which is an Airport Extreme as well btw)

Two are Airport Express running in WDS mode as extenders of the same SSID. The fourth unit is a Netgear LAN bridge running a different SSID. All show up fine on the BCD536HP Wi-Fi setup.

Did you confirm the Dongle FW is up to date?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Manny, his WiFi dongle is updated with the latest firmware I suspect his problem is two different signals with the same SSID information at the same time is causing the problem.

gonzalu

Some bridges will refuse connections from anything other than the other sets on the bridges. On an Apple WDS setup, you have the option of stations AND bridges or just bridges... can you check that? Perhaps the dongle is trying to connect to one of the BSSIDs that's acting as a WDS bridge only and getting a disconnect frame.

gonzalu

Do you have a Mac? (only because it is easier)

Try setting Sharing of your Ethernet connection via Wi-Fi. This will set up a Hotspot .. see if the dongle connects to it.

Using a PC it is called ICS but it isn't as easy or straightforward as doing it on the mac ;)

Alternatively, try a iPhone or Android with Personal Hotspot turned on and see if you can connect to [that] ... just trying to see if your dongle can connect to anything at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.