536: You've got to get this fixed....

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

gjhamilton said:
I will say that the 536 is the best scanner I have ever owned however it still has the same issues as the previous ones. Just not as bad. Anyone that tells you different is either lying or doesn't know what they are talking about.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That may be true for YOU but some people are getting different results. I will say that even though I have the same problem on mine that it does decode a heckuva lot better that I can actually hear whats going on in my own town again.

troymail

Silent Key
Try setting the "hold" time to 99 seconds and see how it acts.

Interestingly, setting the HOLD time higher (I set it to 255) does seem to be a slight improvement.

What this seems to do is hold off on that "housekeeping" cycle longer against the entire system/site. The reason I say this is that if you hold on a talkgroup on the 536, the signal strength bars stay solid (no blinking but some fading) for the entire time of the HOLD. When you set the HOLD time for the system to a higher value, it does the same thing (solid bars for the number of seconds of the HOLD setting) but against the entire system (vs. just one talkgroup).

Having said that, although to a lesser extent, there are still times when a TG is active and can be seen on Pro96Com and heard on the PSR800 and the 536 misses it. Sometimes the 536 momentarily displays (more like "flashes") the talkgroup name but no voice is heard.

The PSR800 is just does a much better job at processing the CC than the 536. Still of course, neither is "perfect" at processing the digital voice.

EDIT: I also added an audible alert to all talkgroups on both radios. Most times I hear the chirp" on the PSR-800 and followed shortly by the alert on the 536. However, on numerous occasions, when I hear an active TG on the 536, there is no audible alert. Odd.

Last edited:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Try setting the "hold" time to 99 seconds and see how it acts.

Interestingly, setting the HOLD time higher (I set it to 255) does seem to be a slight improvement.

What this seems to do is hold off on that "housekeeping" cycle longer against the entire system/site. The reason I say this is that if you hold on a talkgroup on the 536, the signal strength bars stay solid (no blinking but some fading) for the entire time of the HOLD. When you set the HOLD time for the system to a higher value, it does the same thing (solid bars for the number of seconds of the HOLD setting) but against the entire system (vs. just one talkgroup).

Having said that, although to a lesser extent, there are still times when a TG is active and can be seen on Pro96Com and heard on the PSR800 and the 536 misses it. Sometimes the 536 momentarily displays (more like "flashes") the talkgroup name but no voice is heard.

The PSR800 is just does a much better job at processing the CC than the 536. Still of course, neither is "perfect" at processing the digital voice.

And of course you can't effectively scan with it set to 99 (or 255) as it will stay on that system for 99 (or 255) seconds.

I was just curious if this would help.

troymail

Silent Key
And of course you can't effectively scan with it set to 99 (or 255) as it will stay on that system for 99 (or 255) seconds.

I was just curious if this would help.

Yup - totally agree. However, I was curious as well.

Funny thing is I think I remember going through all of this years ago with my 396T --

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
I only purchased the 536 for the Phase II capabilities and I can say I have been very very disappointed in the performance when it comes to Phase II systems and I have tried every solution posted here with no luck. I am not sure if this system just really blows that I monitoring or if it is the radio. I definitely know it isn't a range issue.

whsbuss

I only purchased the 536 for the Phase II capabilities and I can say I have been very very disappointed in the performance when it comes to Phase II systems and I have tried every solution posted here with no luck. I am not sure if this system just really blows that I monitoring or if it is the radio. I definitely know it isn't a range issue.

Do you know of others in your area who monitor that system, using a PSR800? Its the only other scanner capable of phase II.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
Do you know of others in your area who monitor that system, using a PSR800? Its the only other scanner capable of phase II.

That's not correct. The new 436 & 536 can do Phase II.

The Uniden BCD536HP HomePatrol Series Digital Mobile Scanner with WiFi

I can monitor this certain P25 Phase II site but, sometimes it sounds so garbled and choppy you can't make out anything. Some days are better than others but even then most of the audio drops out. I am almost leaning towards this system is just crap and that it is not the radio but I have nothing to weight it against.

whsbuss

That's not correct. The new 436 & 536 can do Phase II.

The Uniden BCD536HP HomePatrol Series Digital Mobile Scanner with WiFi

I can monitor this certain P25 Phase II site but, sometimes it sounds so garbled and choppy you can't make out anything. Some days are better than others but even then most of the audio drops out. I am almost leaning towards this system is just crap and that it is not the radio but I have nothing to weight it against.

Oh yes I know the x36HP can decode phase II. So I assume you tried all the things like P25 threshold, delay, squelch, etc. One of the feeds I monitor using a 536HP phase I has similar issues. Some days better than others.

Salvation

Well This issue has got worse since the Firmware upgrade.. I was able to get around the issue by changing from NFM to FM. Now I get the same problem in both modes.. Im at a loss now.

Here is a video.. Continued P25 issues on BCD536HP - YouTube

The clear audio is coming from the Pro197 on bottom and the hiss is coming from the BCD536HD with the "Audio Type" set to "All" (obviously a digital transmission in analog) to show that I am receiving a signal. The 536HD just isn't processing it (should switch to "Digital" automatically in "All"). If I set "Audio Type" to "Digital" then the 536HD just acts like it never received a transmission at all.

This is really annoying and I am sure its just as annoying to Uniden and I hope they get this worked out.

whsbuss

Well This issue has got worse since the Firmware upgrade.. I was able to get around the issue by changing from NFM to FM. Now I get the same problem in both modes.. Im at a loss now.

Here is a video.. Continued P25 issues on BCD536HP - YouTube

The clear audio is coming from the Pro197 on bottom and the hiss is coming from the BCD536HD with the "Audio Type" set to "All" (obviously a digital transmission in analog) to show that I am receiving a signal. The 536HD just isn't processing it (should switch to "Digital" automatically in "All"). If I set "Audio Type" to "Digital" then the 536HD just acts like it never received a transmission at all.

This is really annoying and I am sure its just as annoying to Uniden and I hope they get this worked out.

That's a great video showing the 536 actually receiving but not handling it. Sure hope a f/w fix can get this done.

radios4bill

Hi Group; As I have posted in other discussions edit your "Frequency List" and put what you know is the main "Control Channel" to the top of the list and then add the secondary next. The info that is being downloaded from the "RR" database puts the non "CC" channels in the list first. I have found by removing non CC and secondary freqs improves it more. Bill

Salvation

Hi Group; As I have posted in other discussions edit your "Frequency List" and put what you know is the main "Control Channel" to the top of the list and then add the secondary next. The info that is being downloaded from the "RR" database puts the non "CC" channels in the list first. I have found by removing non CC and secondary freqs improves it more. Bill

Just as a note, my issue is with a conventional P25 channel and not a trunked system.. I know the other one being discussed is a trunked system though..

whsbuss

Good point, but I believe that the x36 has the capability of just listening to the control channel and switching to the voice freq. without having to have anything BUT the CC's loaded. Am I wrong?

whsbuss

Should I start a new thread with my issue or do you think these are related?

Gee I have no idea if they are related. Things are so complicated its hard to tell. I would hope UPMan would chime in and acknowledge this.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if these issue is related but I just took a quick video of the audio problems. I just tried the suggestion of the CC and that seems to have improved things some. Audio from the console is just horrible but the mobiles and handhelds seem to be ok as of this recording but it is inconsistent it may be fine right now and then 5 mins later so garbled you can't even understand it. You can really tell from the audio from dispatch. You can barely make it out and sometimes it is so choppy and garbled you can't hear it at all. This is the only P25 Phase II system so nothing to compare it to. Phase I systems work like a champ. Sometimes this system goes back and forth between Phase I and II and still have the same issue as my 996XT will pick it up when they do Phase I. So maybe it is the system? Not really sure.

Forney P25 Phase II on Uniden BCD-536HP - YouTube

michaelsbus

OK, thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth and ask a lot of dumb questions. You don't have to respond, just consider:
You say you're inside the footprint of the site. Sounds like you're in the fenced-in area under the tower. Try moving a mile away.
The 800 is a handheld; the 536 is a base/mobile unit. How are they powered? The handheld on battery won't pick up RFI through the power cable.
How are the antenna feeds? A rubber duck won't get as much front-end overload like a base/mobile antenna plus feedline.
What other systems are on the tower? Adjacent channel interference/front end overload/desense...
If there are issues near one site, move closer to another site and see if the problem persists.
Different manufacturers = Different designs. Different filtering. Different shielding. Different decoding chips. Different firmware. Different processors. etc...
Any spurious crap getting into the radio can screw with it's operation.
Even ignition noise or switching noise from a cheap power supply.
(like those Chinese bricks that convert 120VAC to 12VDC without a transformer...)

Just my $.02

Mike

P.S.: Don't forget computer noise. And cell phone (periodically talks to cell tower).

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Does the new handheld do Phase 2 ?????????

The only Difference is one is Mobile you hold it in your Hand and the 536 is either on your Desk or mounted in your Car and is "NOT" as easily moved around.
In other words the 436 has the Power inside aka Batteries and the 536 in "general" is powered by external Source like Car Battery or plug into your House outlet.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber

I found the same thing here in Los Angeles area with the OCCS (Orange Country CCCS) trunk system. This is a Motorola Type II Smart Zone with analog, digitial, and digitial encryption. As some of you may have read in our LA Basin thread about 536HP, a few of us have had some (to say the least) decoding P25 problems on this system with 436HP and 536HP. The things that help include 1) some attenuation, 2) P25 manual 10, and interestingly, for me at least 3) getting rid of all the non-CC channels and putting main CC at top of list as radios4bill mentions in his post.
I also find that these new Unidens have real difficulty staying locked on the CC of many systems in this area. Don't know why. Whereas my PSR-600, PRO-197, BCD-396XT, and BCD-996XT seem to remain rock solid on CCs, the bars on the 436HP and 536HP go all over the place. I still don't understand what this "housekeeping" thing means. I have never experienced this with Uniden XTs.
Also find that increasing system hold to 5 or 10 secs helps keep the CC locked a bit more, but of course, that reduces overall scanning speed to other systems. When Uniden finally does comes out with the Analyze feature (that I thought would be there right from start, after all the HP1-E already has it), it will be interesting to see what might be going on with the CCs. Would like to see raw data output or CC dump to Unitrunker on these new units and see what my be going on with CCs.
Steve AA6IO

Status
Not open for further replies.