536HP and encrypted P25?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arlo

Premium Subscriber
Does a 536HP ignore encrypted P25 or does it make digital noise? If it makes digital noise, does it display the NAC?

Last edited:

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
It only makes digital noise on phase 2 p25. If you want to find the nac of a encrypted channel hold on it and while you won't hear anything the nac should be displayed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
My experience is that it depends on the type of encryption used. For the "official" high end formats available to all radios systems, such as AES, the scanner "skips". You may briefly see "ENC" on the display.

For the "budget" type, such as ADP, which started out as a Motorola propietary deal, you may hear an awful and broken racket. Sometimes you see ENC and sometimes the scanner holds on the channel, perhaps just briefly.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Any type of digital encryption will be muted no matter what flavor is used ADP to AES and beyond it doesn't matter what algo is used. What matters is if it phase 2 or TDMA digital comms. Scanners don't know how to interpret the silence word in the voice frames of a TDMA communication. P25 phase 1 should mute encryption everytime.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
ADP is a very secure encryption option just happens to be cheaper. Still keep the scanner listeners out doesn't it?!

Status
Not open for further replies.