536HP or SDS200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redneck0410

Looking for those areas in KS that deal with simulcast (I know SG, DG, BU, and HV currently are listed as having simulcast). Does anyone in these areas monitor with either of the two scanners listed above? Looking for pros and cons for each. I know at one time the 536 was pretty well a crapshoot for LSM, but has the reception improved any or is it pretty well a dead horse for that? I’m personally leaning toward the SDS200, but the $700 price point kind of has me a little leery.

Bob1955

Looking for those areas in KS that deal with simulcast (I know SG, DG, BU, and HV currently are listed as having simulcast). Does anyone in these areas monitor with either of the two scanners listed above? Looking for pros and cons for each. I know at one time the 536 was pretty well a crapshoot for LSM, but has the reception improved any or is it pretty well a dead horse for that? I’m personally leaning toward the SDS200, but the $700 price point kind of has me a little leery.
The SDS-200 has numerous issue that users on here have reported and with a $699.95 price tag, there are no excuses on Uniden's part. I would AVOID it at all costs. I would go with a Bearcat BCD-996P2 which is a GREAT value now or a $100 plus step-up is the Bearcat BCD-536HP. I personally do not care for zip code programing or the SD card. I would give Paul a call at Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland and their number is 1-877-568-7226 as he is a EXPERT and has also made YouTube videos. Also, free shipping on all digitals scanners and no sales tax outside of Maryland. You can't beat that.

tipster67

Oh, I so wish I had the time to do a video of a BCD996P2 next to a SDS200, here in Wichita... It's night and day. I just happen to live in an extremely bad part of town when it comes to the Simulcast issues. Out of the box with no tweaking done, I was getting excellent reception. Not missing calls. No dropoff. I have been trying to sell a BCD996P2. Now I know to just sell to an area without Simulcast. The two are not even close.

Stupidfatkid

I listen to the Kansas City MARRS simulcast system and I've had every digital scanner Uniden has made. The SDS200 is the only way to go. It's just that simple.

Redneck0410

I already have the 996P2, which is why I was looking at an upgrade. I get over to Sedgwick County at least a couple times a week and I’m tired of trying to tweak this scanner to work with their system.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
If you can afford it, the SDS200 is the only scanner to effectively receive simulcast. Why not buy something that will do the job when you are traveling and not have to worry about running into systems that you won't be able to hear? People have their opinions on every scanner manufactured, both good and bad, but as we all know it depends on what works for you in your particular situation. I have 2 SDS200s and I just returned from a 2-month RV excursion from OH to CA to Alaska to Toronto to OH and I was very impressed with the performance of both, one on gps the other preprogrammed. The only systems I could not hear were encrypted. I think they are the best scanners made today, hands down. But, that is just my own opinion. Go with your gut, and have fun with it!

JD
kf4anc

Fireattack484

Feed Provider
I've been told by a user that the SDS200 works very well in SG CO. The others, in my experience, do not.

KSPILOT536

Premium Subscriber
Oh, I so wish I had the time to do a video of a BCD996P2 next to a SDS200, here in Wichita... It's night and day. I just happen to live in an extremely bad part of town when it comes to the Simulcast issues. Out of the box with no tweaking done, I was getting excellent reception. Not missing calls. No dropoff. I have been trying to sell a BCD996P2. Now I know to just sell to an area without Simulcast. The two are not even close.
I have been fighting trying to get my 996xt up here in Park City to work..some days are better than others but certainly not getting near the WPD or Sheriff channels I should get,I get the KHP coming in wall to wall.

KSPILOT536

Premium Subscriber
I live up in Park City and I can't even get WPD calls..I'm using a Uniden BCD 996XT.

Status
Not open for further replies.