536HP Panel layout - seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drdiesel1

I'm sure I'm not the first one to bring this up, but really? I'd argue that most people are right handed, now my hand in blocking the display when navigating the menus. I'm forced to unconformably rotate my arm to browse.

Was there any specific reasoning for this change, perhaps I'm simply missing the point/advantage?

Attachments

• IMG_20140126_102642.jpg
    IMG_20140126_102642.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,270

tvnews

Premium Subscriber
I agree

Some may consider the layout to be a minor thing. But for me this is going to be a very uncomfortable operation dealing with the knob on the left.

troymail

Silent Key
I found this to be a problem just after the purchase yesterday while trying to do things with the radio while driving (I know, but at least I don't text or make phone calls while driving!).

At some point I pulled over and set the display to "Upside Down" and flipped the radio over. I did this for two reasons - one was the knob (everytime I touched the knob I couldn't see what I was doing). I'm left handed but unless I go to the UK I'll need to continue using my right hand while driving (unless I mount the radio on the drivers side mirror!). The other reason was because the radio was sitting on my dash (a tray in my F150) and of course the speaker is on the bottom. Flipping it over helped but I still find the digital voice to be a bit "muffled" coming from the radio.

BTW - flipping the display/radio adds a bit more complexity because all of the keys are now upside down and reversed.... not something to play with while driving!

4436time

In Gov't We Trust
Premium Subscriber
Maybe it's time to start practicing your left handed skills. We lefty's have been doing things your way since the beginning of time. :lol:

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
It's perfect! My BCT-15 is under the dash near the passenger and I have to reach waaaay over to the right to reach the Function knob. When I get the 536 the knob will be closer and more easily reached, thanks to thoughtful Uniden layout.

It's perfect! My BCT-15 is under the dash near the passenger and I have to reach waaaay over to the right to reach the Function knob. When I get the 536 the knob will be closer and more easily reached, thanks to thoughtful Uniden layout.

Yea, they did it with your specific configuration in mind.

lep

I consider myself fortunate to be among the 11 percent of the population that are Left Handed. The number has been remarkably constant over the years since anyone was keeping track.

troymail

Silent Key
I consider myself fortunate to be among the 11 percent of the population that are Left Handed. The number has been remarkably constant over the years since anyone was keeping track.

I'm left handed also (and so is now my first grandchild!) but I defy you to use you left hand to play with a scanner while driving (in the US anyway)

drdiesel1

If you consider a console mounted mobile install, the left sided knob makes even less sense, even if left handed. (IMO, granted I'm not left handed!)

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Maybe it's time to start practicing your left handed skills. We lefty's have been doing things your way since the beginning of time. :lol:

Amen. Now those right handed people will know how we lefties have struggled for years living in a right handed world. :D

As for the new layout, it will work out perfectly (should I go with the 536hp) for the new set-up I'm working on. Assuming I get the 536, it will be front/left of where I'll be sitting at my desk and my 15X will be front/right of where I'll be sitting. Left hand for the 536 and right hand for the 15. Two handed control, here I come!! Perfect set-up.

:)

wise871

Database Admin
Knob placement while mounted in my vehicle is why I am so ready for the app to be released. I just hope there is no lag/delay between the app and the scanner.

lep

I defy you to use you left hand to play with a scanner while driving (in the US anyway)[/QUOTE said:
I prefer NOT to "play with a scanner while driving" as IMHOP it falls into "distracted driving", I am usually satisfied while in motion with just listening to my 996 [with remote head) monitoring my local P-25 700 MHz public safety system.

troymail

Silent Key
I prefer NOT to "play with a scanner while driving" as IMHOP it falls into "distracted driving", I am usually satisfied while in motion with just listening to my 996 [with remote head) monitoring my local P-25 700 MHz public safety system.

I agree - and most times once I have my programming in place, I don't fiddle too much while driving. Of course, this was within hours of getting the radio out of the box and driving back from Virginia to Maryland. Hey - I was tempted (only tempted!) to text yesterday when hearing what I thought was an exercise that turned out to be a real active shooter in an area mall... but I just don't do that.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The function knob in my mobile-mounted ham radio gear is on the left. I can see what I'm doing while adjusting the knob on those radios and I haven't been involved in any accidents as a result of trying to see my radios' displays while making adjustments.

This is a non-issue for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.