536HP Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvt

I have several questions regarding my scanner which I just received:

1. Why does the audio and signal seem to cut out every few seconds when I am scanning with close call mode on? For me this ruins the close call feature and renders it a useless option. It isn't finding any close calls either it's simply cutting out the audio of every transmission every few moments. Is there a way to correct this issue?

2. Is there a way to change the set delay time from the base unit for all channels while scanning in zip code mode?

3. Do Range and Zip Code modes operate independently of one another? It seems anytime I enter my zip code it resets the range to 20 miles.

4. I'm having quite a lot of trouble figuring out how to monitor a specific P25 talk groups. For example let's say I want to monitor a range of talkgroups like 409002 through 409009 in a P25 setting such as IL-STARCOM21. I'm struggling to find out how to enter the settings/frequency for the network as a whole and then zero in on specific talk groups within that network.

Besides these questions, I find the scanner to be an impressive performer. Learning the functions on this thing is a hassle, and I wish the simulcast quality and range was a bit stronger, but hopefully in due time Uniden will improve the firm-wear to help out.

Last edited:

kellykeeton

1) you might be new to uniden scanners? this is the behavior of it.. personally I dont ever run this mode at all. but you will want to use close call .. do not disturb mode.. rather then Close call outright.

with out significant increases to the cost of the radio - this is how it works. its not bad, or done cheap.. its how it works and it works well for what it is.

2) you mean not in a favorites list right?

3) not independent, but there could be a glitch in the code.. basically you set your range and zip to what you want they are partners in crime.. not separate units. If your moving zip codes enough I recommend a GPS unit. or looking into Favorites lists.

4) you might want to check out the uniden video on software and check out favorites - and custom search.

also you might look to get a proper antenna for whatever your monitoring.. if its 800 mhz leave the "extendable antenna" in the fully down position, or get a specific 800mhz antenna

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
#1. You might have the weather priority on. There are also some other reasons for scanning interuptions listed in the trouble shooting part of the manual.

#2. I can't help with this.

#3. I believe the designers chose 20 miles as the default because there are so many P25 trunked systems and that seems to be a typical "reach" of a site. You can change the range with the RANG button, however. Also you can use Sentinel to set ranges for individual sites or departments if desired.

#4. You'd have to use Sentinel to create a Favorites List, entering each of the talkgroup IDs that you are interested in, after appending the Starcom system.

The new scanner Sentinel is a learning experience to say the least. It seems with every "next generation" of scanners there is more and more to learn - kinda like going from the old rotary landline telephones to iPhones.

troymail

Silent Key
For #1 - The radio only has one receiver. Therefore, in order to do Close Call and other priority functions, it must leave any channel/frequency/talkgroup you are listening to and tune to (or sweep over) a different frequency (or range). With one radio and one receiver, there's no way to get around that.

Having said that, with regard to Close Call specifically - you may want to look at "Close Call DND". DND means do not disturb. What that really means is the the close call function will only "Step away" and check for close call activity when the radio isn't already tuned to something you are listening to on another frequency.

mvt

1. For whatever reason, sometimes even in the do not disturb mode I recall audio seeming to cut in and out in Close Call Mode or maybe it just worsened reception. I will give it another try though. I don't believe I have weather priority turned on, unless it came that way by default, as I have not touched any weather settings yet.

I wouldn't say I am new to uniden scanners, but the 536hp is a whole new world for me. I have been using a old Uniden Bearcat 800XLT scanner for many many years (which still works perfectly!) but there's not a whole lot of signals left that it can pick up nowadays. So I trusted the uniden name when I found myself in the market for a scanner. I like the 536hp so far. It is a tough challenge to learn and I wish the manual was a bit more beginner friendly, but overall I'm satisfied with the device so far. I'm happy to hear that the cutting in and out is not a defect in my scanner!

2. Yes I mean just turning the scanner on and typing in a zip code. I haven't gotten around to messing with the sentinel software or establishing favorites lists. I wish I could make the delay just a tad bit longer on the systems I am monitoring in zip code mode.

3. Well I have messed with zip and range, and it's just not clear whether they are two separate modes or working together. Since the range defaults back to 20 everytime I set the zip, I'm not sure if when I'm setting the range it is also ignoring the zip. If they were working as a team one would think that you can operate them independently from one another and they wouldn't change each other.

4. Thank you for the information. I will hold off on further questions or inquiries into this topic until I start using the Sentinel software. I also have not upgraded the firmware yet after reading some reports of degraded simulcast reception quality. I am in no rush and will hopefully get to it soon.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
For range and zip, it's like shoes and socks. They are sort of the same - go on your foot, but are different creatures. They work with each other to accomplish a purpose.

The zip establishes the location where you are. The range establishes how far out the scanner should reach out from that location to pull in frequencies. For things to work, there has to be some kind of range set as a default and "they" chose 20. It is what it is.

I've got the most recent firmware and the reception is excellent. The system I listen to most is a simulcast system which has had it's reception issues with other scanners. I'm very happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.