536hp sd card speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitbr

So I purchased a new sd card class 4 scandisk 8 GB loaded the same data onto it from the card that came with the scanner.
Why does the new card scan and write to the scanner twice as fast as the default?

Should I go to a class 6 card for faster speed or does this make no difference?

Tim

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There are a lot of interesting sites on the web that discuss card speed. One of them is listed below:

https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/speed/

For scanner purposes, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot on the speed class, unless you are transferring lots of audio files. Faster cards are good for very large files commonly associated with photography.

Also if you mount the card directly in the computer using an adapter card, you'll see faster write speeds than with the USB cable.

Personally, I don't get too hung up on card speed.

mitbr

There are a lot of interesting sites on the web that discuss card speed. One of them is listed below:

https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/speed/

For scanner purposes, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot on the speed class, unless you are transferring lots of audio files. Faster cards are good for very large files commonly associated with photography.

Also if you mount the card directly in the computer using an adapter card, you'll see faster write speeds than with the USB cable.

Personally, I don't get too hung up on card speed.

Thanks for the info...
any idea why this new card seems to scan twice as fast?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
As I understand it, when your first turn the scanner on, the scanner will read the SD card. The SD card loads the profile, which includes scanner settings and Favorites Lists into the scanner's memory. From there, the scanner will do it's scanning thing.

The only thing I can think of is that there are some things on the old card that are different from the new card. You might be trying to scan fewer things with the new card thus giving the illusion of faster scanning.

But the bottom line is that a faster SD card should NOT mean faster scanning.

mitbr

As I understand it, when your first turn the scanner on, the scanner will read the SD card. The SD card loads the profile, which includes scanner settings and Favorites Lists into the scanner's memory. From there, the scanner will do it's scanning thing.

The only thing I can think of is that there are some things on the old card that are different from the new card. You might be trying to scan fewer things with the new card thus giving the illusion of faster scanning.

But the bottom line is that a faster SD card should NOT mean faster scanning.

Thanks for the reply....I think it might be my imagination lol
anyway its scanning well with the new card.
Tim

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
You will see a big increase in speed if your scanner is only loading your Favorites during power up, vs the entire US/Canada database.

I doubt the computer in the Uniden could take advantage of the faster cards. They were created more for HD video.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
The sd card I got with the scanner keeps corrupting and I've formatted it 2-3 times, right now my scanner is a brick til I figure out what to do

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you get a new SD card, the odds of that fixing the problem are greater than 90%.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Does it matter the gb on the sd card? I think the original was 4gb

Good question! I know there are some cameras, and cell phones that had limitations in the past. Not sure if that's still an issue, or if its been resolved with more modern devices.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Since mine corrupted I was looking to see if there is a better option, maybe the faster speed like what's mentioned or just more space..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe card speed is beneficial. If you were doing video recordings or taking lots of large photos with high resolution, then faster is better.

For scanner purposes, you'd be better off trading memory space for speed.

The scanner supports up to 32GB cards, so 64's or 128's won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.