536HP unable to turn system QK back on

Status
Not open for further replies.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
Forgive me if this has already been discussed. I did a brief search and unless it is mentioned as something else then I wasn't able to find anything about it.

Has anyone noticed when you turn off all the system QKs for a FL that they sometimes won't turn back on? I.E. lets say you only have one FL on. Then turn off all the QKs under the FL. It will give you the "Nothing to scan" message of course which is normal. When you go to turn a system QK back on it won't turn on, it will just beep. The only way I could get this to work and it is doesn't always work the first time. Ether turn it off, and back on then try hitting .QK# or if that doesn't work then sometimes I will have to enter FL#.QK# to get it to turn back on but, sometimes it takes a couple times of doing that and doesn't always work. It may take a couple times turning the radio off and back on. It won't just turn back on if you use just the QK. Anyone else noticed this before?

JoeyC

I feel your frustration and the problem is the 3 levels of quickeys.

Assuming only one FL one System and one Dept active:

FQ (E/yes) toggles the FL and the state of the system and dept remain unchanged. Toggling to OFF results in Nothing to scan - toggle back on returns to the way it was.

.SQ (E/yes) toggles the system. Toggling to off results in Nothing to scan - toggling back on with FQ.SQ returns to the way it was, however if you do FQ.SQ.DQ in an attempt to turn it back on, you are toggling off the DQ now, which will result in Nothing to scan (because there is no department active) - and no department means automatic system turn off.

OK, so you attempt now to turn it all back on with FQ.SQ.DQ and you will now get a Nothing to scan again. Why? you turned the department back on, but the system is still off. Now you must do a FQ.SQ to turn the system back on.

So a DQ is dependent on a system being on. Should you turn off the (only) DQ the system goes off too. You must turn a department on first, then turn a system on afterwards because the sequence does not turn ON a system that has been turned off because there were no departments active.

Simple huh? lol

Its a PIA!

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
Wow, that is a PITA, I think it makes it even more complicated since you can't see what Dept QK is on or off or is their? For as far as I can tell you can only see FO and SO.

If there was a way to see which dept was on or off within a system that would make things a lot easier if possible. Otherwise it seems you are just guessing if it is on or off. Would make it a lot easier to see what you're working with overall.

The overall QK structure in general I really like on the new model. I wasn't aware it was doing that with the DQ.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
When these two new scanners came out I told my scanner friends "people have NO idea how to pgm the "XT" models by hand, now what are they gonna do"....Well, there is "software' but its best to learn pgming by hand first !!!..."JoeyC" that's a great post......

JoeyC

I had suggested something in firmware revision in that other thread to address lack of ability to see Dept status. Currently you can push FUNC and the display toggles from F0:* S0:* to S0: D0:*
showing you system/department instead of favorite list/system but only for 3 seconds! Hardly useful. I'm not holding my breath though.

Status
Not open for further replies.