536HP vs Home Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

randycsz

Premium Subscriber
Hi, folks.

I'll admit I am a few scanners behind the times. I have two 996Ts and a 396T. I would like to upgrade. I have been searching the forums for a good comparison between the 536hp and the HP2, but am unable to locate one. I am having trouble understanding what the biggest differences are. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi, folks.

I'll admit I am a few scanners behind the times. I have two 996Ts and a 396T. I would like to upgrade. I have been searching the forums for a good comparison between the 536hp and the HP2, but am unable to locate one. I am having trouble understanding what the biggest differences are. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it!
I have both the 536HP (as well as the handheld 436HP), also both versions of the Home Patrol (HP-1 & HP-2).

Both the 536 and either version of the Home Patrol use Favorites lists for programming, and have the RadioReference database plus the Favorites lists loaded on memory cards. The database for either series is updated weekly, both use a variant of the Sentinel software, and can be paired with a GPS to load systems in range when traveling.

The Home Patrols are good listening scanners, but you don't have the control options and features that are present on the 536. The HP-1 & HP-2 have a much larger, and more readable (IMO) color display. The Home Patrol 2 will track P25 Phase II systems, as does the 536HP. The HP-1 is only P25 Phase I compatible.

With the 536, you have Close Call, just like your 396 or 996. You also have Priority scan available, if so desired. Unlike the HP-1 & HP-2, the 536 also has quick keys, so that you can easily turn not only Systems on and off (like your 396/996), but also the Favorites list(s), and Departments (which are the equivalent of the Groups you are familiar with in your current scanners).

The 536HP also has a true narrowband filter, and many report it works better on simulcast systems than their Home Patrol scanners. Also, the 536 has the alert LED feature, so that you can color code various channels by Service Type if so desired.

I have not had problems with my 536HP, unlike the complaints you may have read. Mine was included in the Headphone recall, but that was taken care of in a reasonable amount of time. You may want to check with someone in your area, to see if either model works significantly better than the other.

stingray327

I have both the 536HP (as well as the handheld 436HP), also both versions of the Home Patrol (HP-1 & HP-2).

Both the 536 and either version of the Home Patrol use Favorites lists for programming, and have the RadioReference database plus the Favorites lists loaded on memory cards. The database for either series is updated weekly, both use a variant of the Sentinel software, and can be paired with a GPS to load systems in range when traveling.

The Home Patrols are good listening scanners, but you don't have the control options and features that are present on the 536. The HP-1 & HP-2 have a much larger, and more readable (IMO) color display. The Home Patrol 2 will track P25 Phase II systems, as does the 536HP. The HP-1 is only P25 Phase I compatible.

With the 536, you have Close Call, just like your 396 or 996. You also have Priority scan available, if so desired. Unlike the HP-1 & HP-2, the 536 also has quick keys, so that you can easily turn not only Systems on and off (like your 396/996), but also the Favorites list(s), and Departments (which are the equivalent of the Groups you are familiar with in your current scanners).

The 536HP also has a true narrowband filter, and many report it works better on simulcast systems than their Home Patrol scanners. Also, the 536 has the alert LED feature, so that you can color code various channels by Service Type if so desired.

I have not had problems with my 536HP, unlike the complaints you may have read. Mine was included in the Headphone recall, but that was taken care of in a reasonable amount of time. You may want to check with someone in your area, to see if either model works significantly better than the other.

Is it true that the 436 and 536 scanners have the same specs. are the same in receiving signals that one is a hand held version 436and the other a mobil/base 536? Is one of these scanners better at picking up signals? Do the 436 and 536 scanners outperform the HP-2 in receiving signals and not missing calls?

neilbell

Questions about 536hp

Questions for people knowledgeable about the Uniden 536hp:

Has the battery discharge problem been resolved in newly purchased scanners?

Is the audio recovery for SF Bay Area P25 systems been improved over my 996XT?

Is the Sentinal software usable and USEFUL for programming the scanner?

Any good third party software working for this 536hp (like freescan, etc)?

Neil Bell, KJ6FBA

Voyager

Uniden has a program to deal with the battery issue. It's likely the new ones were checked for the issue.

Not in SF, or anywhere near, so can't comment on that.

Yes, Sentinel does anything you need to program the scanner. Other SW may have more bells and whistles, but that's not what you asked.

Only alternative SW I know of is ARC. ProScan may also support it (not sure about that one).

TedRHayes

Uniden has a program to deal with the battery issue. It's likely the new ones were checked for the issue.

Not in SF, or anywhere near, so can't comment on that.

Yes, Sentinel does anything you need to program the scanner. Other SW may have more bells and whistles, but that's not what you asked.

Only alternative SW I know of is ARC. ProScan may also support it (not sure about that one).

With ARC536Pro you can program (allows downloaded from RR assuming you have an active subscription) and Virtual Control.

ProScan provides Virtual Control (for either the 536 or 436), but no programming capability for those models.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
A major difference between the 536 and HomePatrol scanners is the HomePatrol Extreme upgrade, which is only available for the HomePatrol models. What does Extreme do and will it help you? Read this description and screenshot examples for the Extreme upgrade and what it does:
HomePatrolExtreme < HomePatrol < TWiki

Voyager

Well, as we have yet to see what the 536 advanced features will be, you really can't compare the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.