54 Khz

Status
Not open for further replies.

boochk

**If this is the wrong place for this, my appologies**

Since this is a holiday weekend, I had time to do some evening listening. I have a Polimar loop system with loops from 50Khz thru 15Mhz. I decided to listen at the bottom end in the LF portion of the band. My AOR 5000 can listen as low as 5Khz so I started there. I found what sounds like the Navtex signals on 24Khz and 40.6Khz. As I tuned upwards, I found a signal I am unfamiliar with. It sounds like morse code but is so slow, I cannot follow it. The signal is different than the time signal on 60Khz. I started listening at 2300 and is still broadcasting at 0400 and now I can hear it with just a random dipole. Although I live within a few miles from Eglin AFB, I don't think the signal is from there. Can anyone identify any these signals? There is no information about 54Khz on google along with the 24Khz and 40.6Khz signals.

John

boochk

BDM123 Thanks for the lead but I think this is doubtful from my location.

I have taken time to review what I can find.

40.75 Khz NAU - US Navy Aguada, Puerto Rico
24.0 kHz NAA - US Navy Cuttler Maine, USA

These seem plausible from my location. The super slow CW on 54 Khz I am hearing is still present at my location. (2230-2330 UTC) There are definite differences on short and long OOK. The signal is stronger than the 60 Khz time signal I receive from WWVB.

Has anyone else heard this frequency? I am hoping someone can guide me to an answer as to what this is.

Thanks,
John

majoco

Stirrer
I think this is doubtful from my location.

I don't see why - those VLF transmissions are designed to communicate with submarines all around the world. The subs have a veeery long insulated trailing antenna and the morse is very slow so that a special detector can pick the signal out of the noise. Hams have been doing it for a while with very narrow bandwidths on those VLF's.

Status
Not open for further replies.