5598 aero & 5541 usb

Status
Not open for further replies.

pathalogical

26 oct 2011 0333z

Last night there was quite a bit of activity, actually, constant activity on this frequency. Was listening to New York working the usual type of aircraft, but then started hearing Santa Maria working their aircrafts also. I wondered if they knew they were both using the same freq. After a few minutes NY would turn it over to SM and vice versa. So they did know they were both on same freq. SM worked a couple of REACH flights, and asked a pilot of another a/c How much fuel and how many souls on board ? This activity went on for at least the next hour and possibly longer.

This is the first time I heard two different centers taking turns working the same frequency. Is this a common practice or was there some kind of special circumstances for doing so ?

5541 usb
26 oct 2011 0324z

A few minutes earlier than above, heard two British males exchanging phonetics and numbers for a few minutes, no callsigns heard and weak copy. Google says Coast Radio Stations - Stockholm Radio - Air Comms

gcgrotz

I've heard NY and Shanwick on the same freq before. I think it was 5616, my favorite air freq.

I guess if NY would turn it over to SM, they must have been able to hear each other and knew it.

I'd love to have one of those giant beam antennas they have...

Intellifax

This is very common, happens every day. Yes, they can hear each other, and often talk to each other. Not only with NY and Santa Maria, but also Iceland on some freqs with Gander, and Sal, Dakar, Canarias, and Abidjan on 6535. There are many other examples of shared freqs out there. They all seem to share the freqs fairly well.

majoco

Stirrer
Most of the MWARA frequencies are shared - locally I have Auckland, Brisbane, Nadi, Tahiti and Hawaii (calling himself San Francisco) in the South Pacific area all on 8867kHz in the day and going up/down in frequency as conditions dictate. They often talk among themselves about all sorts of things - but I guess all the important stuff is telexed between them. The selected frequencies and times aren't designed for worldwide coverage so it's not necessary for an aircarft near say NY to be able to hear and work Santa Maria - as long as he can when he gets to the boundary all is OK. It's often apparent that an aircraft working Brisbane cannot hear another calling Nadi and transmits on top of him - the controllers have directional antennae which can enhance reception from a particular area. Auckland will boom in here when working the aircraft going to the Ice but next work someone coming from the north and be almost unreadable.

brandon

Database Admin
At least New York and Santa Maria share the frequency in an orderly fashion.
You should hear the circus in the Manila/Singapore sector.... lots of talking over each other :)

Status
Not open for further replies.