• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Anytone 578 Ham vs Part 90

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
On my shopping list is an AT-D578UV to replace my Alinco DR-638 in the car. I currently have a TYT MD-9600 at home and an AnyTone AT-D868UV portable.

I want to be able to use it for Part 90/95 activities as well as 440 and 2M.
I am trying to figure out if it can be set up for Part 90 (150-175 and 450-470) and ham (144-148 and 430-450) at the same time without having to reset it from one to the other. I can do that now with my existing two DMR radios.

I have had conflicting reports on this in the past, so I want to see if someone here can advise for sure.

If not then I would likely get another MD9600 for the car.

Last edited:

prcguy

I have one and can't find a way to enable commercial freqs and still have FPP. If I tell the radio its for commercial freqs it looses 220 amateur band and FPP. I believe you can computer program commercial freqs and 2m/440 amateur together but I really like the ability to add stuff on the fly via FPP.

Update: I just fired up the software and when you choose US commercial model you can computer program any freq from 136-174 and 400-480MHz. You will loose 220 amateur band and FPP. I also remember something about loosing ham type DMR monitoring functions like single or dual slot.

On my shopping list is an AT-D578UV to replace my Alinco DR-638 in the car. I currently have a TYT MD-9600 at home and an AnyTone AT-D868UV portable.

I am trying to figure out if it can be set up for Part 90 (150-175 and 450-470) and ham (144-148 and 430-450) at the same time without having to reset it from one to the other. I can do that now with my existing two DMR radios.

I have had conflicting reports on this a

sallen07

Premium Subscriber

I believe there are two different settings in play. The first is the "model" of the radio, which determines what frequencies it can transmit on. The second is the "Working Mode", which can either be Amateur or Professional.

It looks like the default for model allows 136-174 and 400-480, and that works just fine in "Amateur" mode.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
The only way to keep 220 in play and have the expanded range on the other bands is to use Mode 14. That should keep FPP available as well. Does that keep the Part 90 cert. in play? I have no idea.

prcguy

No mode 14 listed in my software. I'll look for a more current download and see if that has it.
Update: Downloaded the latest version 1.11 (from Connect Systems) and no mode 14 there either.

The only way to keep 220 in play and have the expanded range on the other bands is to use Mode 14. That should keep FPP available as well. Does that keep the Part 90 cert. in play? I have no idea.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
No mode 14 listed in my software. I'll look for a more current download and see if that has it.
Update: Downloaded the latest version 1.11 (from Connect Systems) and no mode 14 there either.

I believe they either took it out of the new versions or made it harder to get to. I don't recall. Go here: AnyTone AT-D578UV mods and information

Go to Selecting operational bands

Been a while since I've done it, but you need to get into test mode, and may need the software on that page to do it.

prcguy

Found you have to enter the password 5*0# and that allows you to select mode 14 for tri band and full band 136-174 and 400-520MHz. Now the problem is it dumps all programming and you have to start from scratch. If I load my same codeplug in it reverts back to whatever mode the radio had when that codeplug was written. I believe there is a way to convert the freq files to CSV then export and import back while in mode 14. Will try that tomorrow.

I believe they either took it out of the new versions or made it harder to get to. I don't recall. Go here: AnyTone AT-D578UV mods and information

Go to Selecting operational bands

Been a while since I've done it, but you need to get into test mode, and may need the software on that page to do it.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Found you have to enter the password 5*0# and that allows you to select mode 14 for tri band and full band 136-174 and 400-520MHz. Now the problem is it dumps all programming and you have to start from scratch. If I load my same codeplug in it reverts back to whatever mode the radio had when that codeplug was written. I believe there is a way to convert the freq files to CSV then export and import back while in mode 14. Will try that tomorrow.

You can do the export/import like that and it should work, or you should be able to hex edit your codeplug. Easier to export/import most likely, if you aren't used to hex editing.

WB9YBM

I have had conflicting reports on this in the past, so I want to see if someone here can advise for sure.

Short answer: no (at least not legally). Here's why: radios used in non-ham communications have stricter testing/rules to follow than the ham community does (type accepted versus type approved--and these terms may have changed since I looked at this situation last), That's why commercial radios can (and have been) converted from commercial use to ham use, nut not the other way around (well, at least not legally...and not by anyone willing to admit to it...).

prcguy

A part 90 certified Anytone 578 is the exact same radio hardware as the amateur only version. They simply restrict front panel programming and a few features with a software command to give you an amateur version or commercial version.

Short answer: no (at least not legally). Here's why: radios used in non-ham communications have stricter testing/rules to follow than the ham community does (type accepted versus type approved--and these terms may have changed since I looked at this situation last), That's why commercial radios can (and have been) converted from commercial use to ham use, nut not the other way around (well, at least not legally...and not by anyone willing to admit to it...).

N4KVE

Short answer, no. It’s only part 90 w/o FPP, & 220. And part 95 is totally different again.

Status
Not open for further replies.