6.2 quake - 4 miles from Reno NV

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Looks like USGS has it at 5.9. Not a small earthquake, but not a big one.
That region is very active, a lot of stuff bubbling under ground in that part of California/Nevada.

com501

A quake there about every 10 minutes or so, aftershocks. BIG rocks on one of the passes. The size of cars, the NHP said.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I felt it here in central California as I was sitting still. My buddy felt it as well about four miles away while at work. At my location, it was a fast minimal vibration that lasted about two or three seconds. I am about 116 miles (187 km) due south of the epicenter.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Smith Valley NV - 6.2 quake - - felt in northern Calif

Reno and Sparks Police and Fire Live Audio Feed - 140 listening already

maybe 40 miles from Reno actually

on Reno feed - someone reported the trailer is hooked up and ready to go at Training Academy - 1902 hr EDT

- reported here as M5.4 108 KM South of Reno

Smith Valley is not near Reno at all. The quake has been upgraded from a 5.9 to a 6.0. The location is now being shown as southeast of Markleeville, CA. I suppose this was done to eliminate the confusion the quake was in Nevada. That and Markleeville is a much larger city than Reno 😉

We felt the quake 60-65 miles south of there. It shook a gardening shovel off the pegboard wall I have my gardening tools hanging on and knocked over my 40 lb. digging/tamping bar. I store it on the tamping end and it fell, but I placed it where I did so that it would not fall on one of our cars. The handheld radios on top of our second office desk where I was sitting shook quite a bit and one GMRS handheld fell over backwards so it didn't bring any others down like dominos.

Walker, California has been hit with more natural disasters than they deserve. In 1974 the China Garden fire took out part of town. From 1987 to now there have been about 6 major wildfires in the area, some that threatened the town. In 2000 a C-130 airtanker crashed into a vacant lot right at the edge of town while working a fire that was threatening the town. It started in Lost Cannon Canyon and was called the "Cannon Fire." Who lost the cannon? Well, the John C. Fremont expedition of 1844, a group that included Kit Carson and Joseph Walker. In 1997 portions of the town were flooded on January 1st and 2nd when the Walker River flooded due to a heavy rainstorm falling on winter snow. Then last year, in November, during an incredible widespread and powerful windstorm a powerline caused a very fast wildland fire to burn and take out about 70-80 homes, with one fatality to a civilian. The town needs to be left alone! Enough already! They do need to watch out for an invasion of locusts! If any reports of women being turned into pillars of salt, we all need to worry!

Last edited:

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
It wasn't even in Smith Valley, NV. It was based in Markleeville, CA where the rest of the smaller aftershocks happened...:rolleyes:

Regards,

-Frank C.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
USGS originally posted two quakes, a moment apart; one in Smith Valley, NV and the other in Farmington, CA. Within an hour the event in Farmington was removed. USGS explained that the original posts were from automated equipment, and those locations are where they have equipment. They revised the data once a human reviewed it. Aftershocks have been a little more spread around, but I wouldn't consider any of the locations to be "near Reno" -- unless you're describing to people outside the region.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
USGS originally posted two quakes, a moment apart; one in Smith Valley, NV and the other in Farmington, CA. Within an hour the event in Farmington was removed. USGS explained that the original posts were from automated equipment, and those locations are where they have equipment. They revised the data once a human reviewed it. Aftershocks have been a little more spread around, but I wouldn't consider any of the locations to be "near Reno" -- unless you're describing to people outside the region.
Exactly!

Regards,

-Frank C.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Since everyone here does not live very close to the epicenter and don't have the very quick access to the USGS website we did when this 6.0 quake hit, the earliest report of this quake has not been discussed. My wife and I were in the office, with my wife sitting in front of the computer, engaged in a wonderful conversation. The quake hit with each of us facing each other. My wife, who is much more expressive than I, shouted out, "this is a good one," with a hoot and holler. Just as the heaviest shaking stopped my wife turned around, hit the USGS site listed in her "quick links." It took a minute or less and a 4.9 located 8 miles SSW of Lee Vining, California showed up. We usually play a game of how strong and where is the epicenter game after any shaking. I told her, "4.3 at the base of the Sherwin Range," which is about 2 miles south of town. When a 4.9 was displayed 20-25 miles from town, I lost the bet on my call.

My wife was going to submit a "we felt it" report when the 4.9 disappeared. She couldn't find anything for a couple of minutes and then Smith Valley appeared on the screen. When I enlarged the map for her I said it was very close to Walker, CA on the east side of U.S. 395. It was soon revised to west of 395 at roughly the same latitude.

That is our story for the day. It's time to think about anchoring that new big screen TV in the living room and putting some sort of barrier on our high shelves, the ones with the really heavy items, so those things don't shake off the shelves and heavily damage our cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.