• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

6.25 Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
I am now using Icoms IDAS 6.25 Digital in all my radios now.My question is will a Apco-25 Scanner be able to decode my communications.I know 6.25 and Apco-25 use diffrent techs. but I am not aware if a digital scanner will decode both?

n1das

I am now using Icoms IDAS 6.25 Digital in all my radios now.My question is will a Apco-25 Scanner be able to decode my communications.I know 6.25 and Apco-25 use diffrent techs. but I am not aware if a digital scanner will decode both?

No P25 scanner will decode your communications. However, OTHER digital radios using the NXDN format can.

ICOM iDAS 6.25kHz and KENWOOD NEXEDGE radios in 6.25kHz mode will work with each other on conventional channels since they are both NXDN radios. If your iDAS radio system uses any of the trunking features, you'll be locked into ICOM's iDAS repeaters. While ICOM's and KENWOOD's NXDN radios are compatible with each other in conventional mode, the trunking formats are unique to each manufacturer.

If you don't want anybody else monitoring your comms, either don't transmit them at all (mind what you say) or use the voice encryption built into the NXDN format. The built-in encryption is only 16-bit encryption...not very secure compared to AES or DES but probably secure enough for many uses. Think of this encryption as the digital version of analog voice inversion scrambling. If you want it to be VERY secure, you'll need the AES or DES encryption option which costs $$$$.$$. Also keep in mind the 16-bit encryption built into the NXDN format without a doubt has a huge undocumented "back door" feature for the government to go around the encryption for legitimate purposes.

Good luck.

n1das

Ya Thanks for the info I knew that NXDN and IDAS are the same.I will not be using it in a trunking format.

You should be good to go then. :D

If you use the built-in 16-bit encryption, you'll notice it will be completely transparent compared to clear unencrypted digital. The NXDN digital audio quality will be exactly the same. There will be no degradation of the audio like there often is with analog.

When you're transmitting with encryption and anybody else listening with a NXDN radio (Kenwood or Icom) and doesn't have the key (16 bits, 32768 possibilities), all they'll hear is a buzzzzzz of digital noise and no audio. For anyone who tries to listen on a P25 scanner or any other analog radio, all they'll hear is the racket from the raw NXDN data.

Good luck.

Last edited:

N2DLX

Premium Subscriber
I gave W2SJW a quick demo of 6.25 kHz NXDN tonight after our Ham club meeting.

David, any idea when Icom is going to release the trunking/IP networking card for their repeater? I've heard Q4 2008 from a couple sources.

Oh, I also partially reverse-engineered the serial port protocol (PC Command & PC Command V2) used on the Icom NXDN radios. Can change channels, TX, and a couple other things all via serial control. Pretty cool..

n1das

KENWOOD has updated their website recently. There's more NEXEDGE (NXDN) product info there.

There's also some digital vs. audio samples to play. (I'm @ work right now, can't play them here.)
http://nexedge.kenwood.com

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Not sure about when Icom will have any networking out yet (they promise and promise) but Kenwood does have trunking and multi-site trunking available. Only works with the Kenwood radios though. There was a difference of opinion on where the market was headed with 2-way radio. Icom wanted to start simple with an LTR-like digital trunking system, and then make it multisite. Kenwood started off with a full-blown MPT1327-type digital multi-site system.

stickair

I think so. Uniden has a digital, only digital scanner to copy the APCO25, and, I cannot remember more, but, it looks good! Anyway, I don't need it here.

Well, now I'm gonna turn off my laptop coz a turning off of lights and all here.
Greetings!

Status
Not open for further replies.